Office 2003 on Win7 not printing in colour

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Office 2003 on Win7 not printing in colour

Postposted on Thu May 22, 2014 7:11 pm

I have a colour network printer attached to a Windows 7 64bit computer and it's set as the default printer. The printing preferences is set to black and white and any time I want to print in colour I have to manually set it before I print. This works fine for other programs but not Office 2003.

When I try to print something from publisher, I goto File>Print>Properties and change my settings to colour then click OK to print. The problem is that the page will still print out in black and white.

Is this a bug that has not been addressed when running the ancient Office suite on Win7?

Thanks
FDISK /MBR
Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Office 2003 on Win7 not printing in colour

Postposted on Fri May 23, 2014 7:47 am

It's a bug. I remember it causing grief around our office at the time.
I can't remember if it was patched, or the problem vanished because we moved to 2007.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 23, 2014 8:32 am

Can you print to PDF and do the actual printing from Adobe Reader? Yes, I know that's awkward; but at least it may be a usable workaround.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:It's a bug. I remember it causing grief around our office at the time.
I can't remember if it was patched, or the problem vanished because we moved to 2007.
Do you recall if there were any workarounds -- changing things in the control panel rather than through the printer dialog in Office, for example?
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Fri May 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Right now I have set the printer to default to colour but of course that has its own problems $$$.
FDISK /MBR
Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sat May 24, 2014 2:19 am

Just install the printer twice, set one instance of it up as colour (and call it "colour") and set the other instance as back and white (and call it "black and white)

Now you choose whether you're printing colour or B&W by selecting the printer rather than digging through the print properties menus (which is fiddly even when it works)

Simples
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat May 24, 2014 7:17 am

cheesyking wrote:Just install the printer twice, set one instance of it up as colour (and call it "colour") and set the other instance as back and white (and call it "black and white)

Now you choose whether you're printing colour or B&W by selecting the printer rather than digging through the print properties menus (which is fiddly even when it works)

Simples

Yup, that's the way I do it.
This is also a handy hack if you want a quick and simple way to print to a specific printer tray.
I wish to see things not as they are but as they should be.
Aranarth
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun May 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Great idea... I will implement it.
FDISK /MBR
Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Return to General Software