Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

installing Netware 5.1 in Virtualbox 4.3.12

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:48 am

I asked this in the other thread, but I could use some help getting a Netware 5.1 server installed and running in Virtualbox. It recognizes the CD fine, it creates a 4GB virtual partition, installs drivers, etc, but then it starts looping.

The server starts loading, you can see it starting some NLMs, and then it goes to a "splash screen", and just hangs there. If I eject the install CD, and reset the VM, it bootstraps to DR-DOS, but it won't let me access any volumes.

Any ideas? I used to be a CNE, but I haven't touched netware since 2000, so I'm a little lost.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: installing Netware 5.1 in Virtualbox 4.3.12

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:58 am

I won't ask why you'd need to load such an antique OS.. Netware is long gone the way of the dodo.

Back in the day, when I was working at Novell shop (we were platinum partners), we used VMWare with great success.

Why not grab a free eval of VMWare Workstation?
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:42 am

elmopuddy wrote:
I won't ask why you'd need to load such an antique OS.. Netware is long gone the way of the dodo.

Back in the day, when I was working at Novell shop (we were platinum partners), we used VMWare with great success.

Why not grab a free eval of VMWare Workstation?

I've got VMWare Workstation, but VirtualBox seemed easier (at first).

The reason I'm wanting to use Netware 4.11/5.x is twofold:

1) I used to be a CNE 4.x and 5, and am ashamed to admit I haven't used them since 2002. I lost my original courseware, and wanted to get practice with it again. I *LOVED* NDS, NLMs, and Zen back in the day.
2) I use GNS3 (along with my physical hardware) to make large, simulated networks for practicing for my CCNP/CISSP cert exams. I know certain Cisco routers support IPX/SPX, so I got a wild hair, and try to create a mixed IP/IPX environment (and mabye QEMU or VBox clients to use the Netware Client, and maybe Zenworks). Maybe a setup similar to Michelin, where you'd have IPX sites, with IP WAN links, and even try the IPX-to-IP router function in NW5.1 again a LAN or two. I'd also like to see if I can get PRTG running in VB, so I can get a bunch of practice with netflow, etc..

/Also, I'm a HUGE nerd. If I could get a SGI Onyx2 system, and an RS/6000, I'd try to play with those in GNS3 as well.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Ok that makes sense.

I used to fiddle with all that old stuff, but since you'll almost never run into a client running that stuff, and if they were, any sane person would run away fast.. I spend my time getting to know more recent things, for example:

- SCCM
- VMWare ESX
- Citrix
- Windows 2012, 8.1, etc

Novell is pretty much dead in the corporate space, there are a few lingering Groupwise or Zen clients (I work with Zen 11 every day)

For the record, I was a MCNE back in the day, and Groupwise expert. I was director of IT for a firm that developed the first anti-spam/anti-virus system for Groupwise.

Back to your question though :) I think you'll have better luck with VMWare, there must be some guides left somewhere on the 'net for setting up old OS's.

Good luck!

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:54 pm

elmopuddy wrote:
Ok that makes sense.

I used to fiddle with all that old stuff, but since you'll almost never run into a client running that stuff, and if they were, any sane person would run away fast.. I spend my time getting to know more recent things, for example:

- SCCM
- VMWare ESX
- Citrix
- Windows 2012, 8.1, etc

Novell is pretty much dead in the corporate space, there are a few lingering Groupwise or Zen clients (I work with Zen 11 every day)

For the record, I was a MCNE back in the day, and Groupwise expert. I was director of IT for a firm that developed the first anti-spam/anti-virus system for Groupwise.

Back to your question though :) I think you'll have better luck with VMWare, there must be some guides left somewhere on the 'net for setting up old OS's.

Good luck!

I fully intend on getting at least my VMware Datacenter after my CCNP and CISSP (those two get me up to DoD IAT Level 3), and I'm teaching myself NX-OS for the new cisco gear. I used to be a CNE/MSCE+I/MCT, but all my jobs for the last 15+ years have been either enterprise network or ISP type installs with Cisco, Juniper, Adtran, and just about every 802.11 AP/BR under the sun. I think Radius, Rodopi, and an odd SUN email server were the last servers I maintained, and I didn't configure them. I just kicked the tires went they acted odd. (Percussive maintenance is the BEST maintenance! :D)

I need to doublecheck, but I'm not sure if VMware workstation is even supported in GNS3. I know VBox and QEMU are...

*EDIT*

SCCM? I haven't messed with that. Is that like a software equivalent of a Supervisor Engine in large Chassis's, or the Nexus VM Supervisor?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:50 am

Hz so good wrote:
SCCM? I haven't messed with that. Is that like a software equivalent of a Supervisor Engine in large Chassis's, or the Nexus VM Supervisor?

SCCM is managing software installation and configuration of computers, its predecessor is System Management Server (SMS).
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:08 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Hz so good wrote:

SCCM is managing software installation and configuration of computers, its predecessor is System Management Server (SMS).

Zenworks is Novell's SCCM

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:22 am

elmopuddy wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Hz so good wrote:

Zenworks is Novell's SCCM

I had so much fun teaching the Zenworks class, in the NW5 days. "OH, a user hosed up important system files? Zen'll fix it on the next login. See? Watch.". And the inventory control/reporting was awesome for it's time.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:47 pm

WOOHOO! Got it to work! ROUTE.NLM refused to install, but that could easily be a bug in VBox. Netware isn't even a supported OS! :D

Now to figure out how to integrate this into GNS3, as well as a few windows machines running Client32, scads of switches, routers, frame relay switches, VoiP, a radius/tacacs+ server, and maybe even PRTG, since I'm already gilding the lily. :D