help removing AVG secure search crapware from IE

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

help removing AVG secure search crapware from IE

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:11 am

Does anyone know how to remove 'mysearch.avg.com' from internet explorer? I got this crapware on my PC after installing another program on my PC. I think I have successfully removed it from Google Chrome, FIrefox, and Safari. However, I cannot get this search engine uninstalled from IE. I tried doing so through Control Panel and various other means to including setting all of the defaults within Internet Explorer. However, this pesky little tool continues to reappear!

I did some research online and it seems there have been various solutions offered...with seemingly limited success. It's even mentioned on Wikipedia as a controversial issue along with potential negative impacts on RAM. I have never used AVG as an antivirus program. And after my experience with this unwanted tool taking over IE as the default search engine and home page, I would never use it as an antivirus program. I don't use IE as my browser. And if it's too much of an issue to uninstall this crapware, then I will forget about it.

However, the bigger concern would be if it's actually installed some type of unwanted spyware. I've read that it reportedly even keeps track of every single web page a user visits. I don't know if this is true or not. But I would either like this crapware gone or at least able to establish that it will have no impact on my web usage with the other browsers. (I mostly use Google Chrome). Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
Last edited by scott784 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
scott784
Gerbil

Re: help removing AVG secure search crapware from IE

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:29 am

UIse CCleaner, check Tools > startup items on for IE and remove it from there. :D
MastaVR6
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:36 am

Try using http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ see if that gets rid of it.
biffzinker
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:53 am

If the AVG web site itself offers a removal tool, that would be the best. It is imprfessive how throughly some programs can burrow into your system. You may not have actually removed more than the surface of it yet.

For more coverage of this sort of problem see Major Geeks dot com.
climatepete
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:09 am

I've scanned my PC with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus. I then installed Malwarebytes and adwcleaner. It looks like it's taken out some of the garbage but AVG secure search crapware still has the default page and search engine (within IE) hijacked. I will NEVER use AVG as an antivirus program. It's unbelievable that a so called antivirus company would market something that embeds itself so deep in the OS and registry that it makes it so difficult to remove.

I am not in the mood to reinstall the OS (unless I determine there is a real threat remaining). But I will check out that other site that was suggested. Thanks for the replies. And if anyone else has suggestions, please let me know.
scott784
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:19 am

Try using the "Reset Internet Explorer settings" Control Panel/Internet Options, click the Advanced Tab, and at the bottom click the Reset button, check the delete personal settings then click reset button.
biffzinker
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:20 am

If you want to go orbital without reinstalling Windows, try this:

Manually run a search on C: for "avg" and delete any and all folders you find. Make sure you include hidden and system folders as well.
After that, manually sift through the registry looking for keys containing "avg" and delete any and all keys you find. Read the contents first to avoid deleting a false positive. You only need to search once, afterwards you can keep pressing F3 to jump to the next key.
*After* that, run CCleaner to make sure nothing else references the folders or keys you just removed.

I recommend doing this in safe mode, to prevent nonessential programs from even loading in the first place.
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:32 am

biffzinker wrote:Try using the "Reset Internet Explorer settings" Control Panel/Internet Options, click the Advanced Tab, and at the bottom click the Reset button, check the delete personal settings then click reset button.

Yes, I did all of that yesterday. Unfortunately, it doesn't make any difference. I guess I'll check out Major Geeks dot com and also try the 'orbital' approach mentioned here. Thanks again.
scott784
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:51 am

AVG is the virus. If you really need an anti-virus, get Avast or even MSE.
LASR
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:29 pm

LASR wrote:AVG is the virus. If you really need an anti-virus, get Avast or even MSE.

I don't have AVG anti-virus program. (I never did). I use Bitdefender. The problem is that AVG toolbar and all it's mess was accidentally installed (in a bundle) when I put another program on my computer. I have since uninstalled that program (that had the AVG bundle toolbar in its package). But I still have the AVG toolbar in IE. As previously posted, some of the garbage is gone since I used Malwarebytes and adwcleaner, but other pieces remain. And that crappy toolbar and homepage are still clinging onto IE. Thanks.
scott784
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:33 pm

If still trying, try

/files/details/avg_remover. html

at MG . com
climatepete
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:16 pm

biffzinker
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:28 pm

If none of those work. I would suggest looking for Trend Micro Hijackthis. I don't know how well it would do since they have stopped making it, but at least you could see where it is highjacking and remove it from inside that program.
toki
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:42 pm

If the tools posted by the supposed maker of the beastie do not work, what are the chances that the problem is not legit AVG stuff but something that has slipped in using its identity? Wouldn't be the first time malware posed as legit A/V stuff.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:24 pm

Captain Ned wrote:If the tools posted by the supposed maker of the beastie do not work, what are the chances that the problem is not legit AVG stuff but something that has slipped in using its identity? Wouldn't be the first time malware posed as legit A/V stuff.

I think the guy's right, because there's indeed a paragraph about this outrageous practice on AVG's wikipedia page and it has no less than six separate citations.
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:57 pm

I predict that AVG's own tool will work and work impressively.
Wikipedia says "... virtually impossible to remove" which I think is wrong.
climatepete
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:06 pm

Might want to try Spybot, have yet run into something it could not remove. I have cleaned up many friends computers with it.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:37 pm

I tried just about everything yesterday that I could think of (and suggestions online). These included using MalwareBytes, a registry cleaner, the so called AVG removal tool, as well as a host of other things. Absolutely nothing worked! I do wonder if the crapware was actually posing as AVG when in fact it was something else? But Wikipedia even mentions this horrible little tool that gets so deeply embedded in the OS, it can be very difficult to remove.

Today, I decided I was not putting up with it any longer. So I decided to do a clean install of the OS. 5 years of Win 7 updates takes a long time. But at least I've got everything back the way I want it. And I'm going to reimage my new SSD so that if I ever get into another mess like this, I can easily get out.

It's a lesson learned from many people. When you install third party software, look very close at what else may be getting installed on the OS! Thanks again for the replies here.
scott784
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:53 pm

I've had the displeasure of trying to remove that piece of crap too. Fortunately, in my case the removal tool from their site did the trick.

Too bad; AVG used to be a pretty decent AV product. I even used to recommend it to family and friends. It is now permanently on my "avoid" list.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:Too bad; AVG used to be a pretty decent AV product. I even used to recommend it to family and friends. It is now permanently on my "avoid" list.

Likewise, and it's a shame. I quit recommending it six-ish years ago when the new-at-the-time version bloated up and slowed the machine down as bad as contemporary McCrappy. Seriously, the installer tripled in size and kept growing in successive releases.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:I've had the displeasure of trying to remove that piece of crap too. Fortunately, in my case the removal tool from their site did the trick.

Too bad; AVG used to be a pretty decent AV product. I even used to recommend it to family and friends. It is now permanently on my "avoid" list.

You were very lucky that the AVG removal tool worked for you. I've never used AVG as an anti-virus service (and certainly wasn't trying to when that crapware toolbar and other mess got installed on my PC). However, I am with you (and the others). I will NEVER consider anything that is remotely associated with AVG! And I will be certain to tell as many others as I can about it.

Even if this crapware was something else (posing as AVG), the one issue that would beg for an answer. If AVG is innocent, then why haven't they adequately addressed this issue online? In other words, if there are fakes out there posing as AVG, you would certainly think AVG would be out in the forefront (as an anti-virus company) talking about it. So I don't let AVG off the hook. It is inexcusable. But I am happy now that I am able to put this issue behind me.
scott784
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 am

scott784 wrote:It's a lesson learned from many people. When you install third party software, look very close at what else may be getting installed on the OS! Thanks again for the replies here.

Indeed, and some extra vigilance is needed nowadays. Just recently I've seen some free software that, during the setup, automatically slams the EULA of a third-party piece of rubbish in your face with only two options: "Accept" or "Decline". No tick boxes, no explanation. I had a gut feeling and pressed "Decline", and 'lo and behold, the original program started installing without the third-party thing.

A less experienced user might have thought they need to accept it or else the original program won't install.

Edit: By that I mean even if the rubbish is not hidden completely, the standard practice of optional tick boxes is not followed in every case.
Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Return to General Software