Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Geo2160
Gerbil
Topic Author

Youtube bars don't go away in fullscreen (chrome)

Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

When I turn a youtube video in fullscreen mode in chrome, the progress and status bar don't go away, even though I don't touch my mouse and keyboard. I've tried disabling all of my extensions, reinstalling and even a freshly compiled version of chromium. But the issue is still there. Firefox works fine though. You can see the problem in my masterfully illustrated example:

http://i.imgur.com/FDRPAd8.jpg

This thing is driving me nuts and yet I can't give up on chrome. I've tried switching to firefox a couple of months ago when I had another issue with youtube, but I switched back as soon as the issue was fixed. The android tab syncing and general snapiness keep dragging me back.

I would really appreciate some advice on this first world problem.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Youtube bars don't go away in fullscreen (chrome)

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:30 pm

There are many things which may cause this, such as touchscreen on your laptop/PC (if you have it - try touching any area outside of video then see if it helps), buggy touchpad/mouse drivers (have you installed anything like that recently?), etc.

First, try to hover the mouse cursor over "play/pause" button when you're playing YouTube in full screen and let the cursor stay here. See if these status bars go away. If that won't help or if you'll find such method annoying - download an extension for Chrome which disables HTML5 player and forces Flash player usage on YouTube (there are several of those but this one should work), see if that helps.
Last edited by JohnC on Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

tu2thepoo
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:40 pm

Like JohnC said, the Play/Pause button is one of the more consistent ways to make the bars go away. I usually have to actually hit the button, then make sure my cursor is hovering within the video window (i.e. the cursor is not ON the status bar, or offscreen). This is on OSX, at any rate.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:55 pm

tu2thepoo wrote:
Like JohnC said, the Play/Pause button is one of the more consistent ways to make the bars go away. I usually have to actually hit the button, then make sure my cursor is hovering within the video window (i.e. the cursor is not ON the status bar, or offscreen). This is on OSX, at any rate.

This seems to be required in Windows for me, too. Gotta get the pointer off the bars before they'll disappear.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Geo2160
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:17 pm

The play/pause trick seems to work occasionally . But it's pretty weird. I didn't install anything in the last week or so and I'm using a desktop. My peripherals are a gen 1 Razer blackwidow (which is not detected by razer synapse any more) and a Steelseries Sensei.