Best Quarterback of all time

Tech Report Fantasy Sports League and general sports discussion.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Best Quarterback of all time

Johnny Unitas
7
18%
John Elway
6
16%
Dan Marino
3
8%
Joe Montana
21
55%
Fran Tarkenton
1
3%
Dan Fouts
0
No votes
Bob Griese
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 38

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:17 pm

Montana all the way. SuperBowl wins are what it takes to be the greatest ever. He was Mr. clutch!
Retired!
gerbilspy
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:38 pm
Location: Southern Illinois

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:26 pm

5150 wrote:What do you care? You would've voted for Manning in a heartbeat if he was on the list. He pwns God.


Peyton Manning is a chump - Dan Marino without the style.

I'm thinking about going to the Bears-Colts preseason game after GenCon with ManosHOF among others. I will boo and hiss until my voice is hoarse and my throat is cracked and bleeding, and then I will write crude signs saying "boo" and "hiss" in my own blood-laden saliva.
Good bye everyone.
Action Jim
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3299
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:03 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:34 pm

Action Jim wrote:I'm thinking about going to the Bears-Colts preseason game after GenCon with ManosHOF among others. I will boo and hiss until my voice is hoarse and my throat is cracked and bleeding, and then I will write crude signs saying "boo" and "hiss" in my own blood-laden saliva.


And feces. No Bears game is complete without some feces being thrown.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 13831
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:44 pm

Scorpiuscat wrote:I remember one game against the Chiefs, the Broncos were down 19-6 with less than 2 minutes to go and Elway pulls out a 20-6 win in one of the most exciting games I have ever watched.


How did the Chiefs score 1 point?

lol

I am assuming Denver came back to win 20 - 19 AFTER being down 19 - 6.

I remember that game but I don't remember the score.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: The dark side of the moon

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:12 pm

idchafee wrote:
Action Jim wrote:I'm thinking about going to the Bears-Colts preseason game after GenCon with ManosHOF among others. I will boo and hiss until my voice is hoarse and my throat is cracked and bleeding, and then I will write crude signs saying "boo" and "hiss" in my own blood-laden saliva.


And feces. No Bears game is complete without some feces being thrown.
Feces-laden saliva?
...
mattsteg
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 15752
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Applauding the new/old variable width forums

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:13 pm

idchafee wrote:And feces. No Bears game is complete without some feces being thrown.


I believe that's what the Bears Quaterbacks are already doing :P

I would not rate Farve so highly, although he is one tough SOB. I'm not much of an Elway fan either. I voted Montana because he stood out in my mind.

I also hope that the Pats keep spanking the Colts, so that Manning can see how the game is meant to be played.
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:07 pm
Location: , location

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:22 pm

mattsteg wrote:Feces-laden saliva?


If you can come up with a way to mix the feces and the saliva without getting thrown out of the stadium, why not?

PRIME1 wrote:I believe that's what the Bears Quaterbacks are already doing :P


At least as long as I've been watching football. Even the good Bears teams of the 80's and early 90's, the passing game was usually an afterthought.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 13831
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:53 pm

At least as long as I've been watching football. Even the good Bears teams of the 80's and early 90's, the passing game was usually an afterthought.

You don't really need to throw when you have Payton, do you?
BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:47 am
Location: Champaign, IL

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:57 pm

BobbinThreadbare wrote:You don't really need to throw when you have Payton, do you?


And when you've got the defense those teams had too. But when you've got Rashaan Salaam and Curtis Enis you do.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 13831
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:09 pm

JrdBeau wrote:
LicketySplit wrote:Heh..yup..he deserves consideration..one tuff cookie..seems like all the ones from generations past are better than the current crop..why is that? Is it because the newer ones just take the money and run or the mental toughness just isnt there?



I think there are a few 'legends' in the making. Brady, Manning, Vick, Culpepper, and McNabb to name a few. We'll have to wait a decade or so to find out!

Steve Young and Brett Favre could be added to the list too.


PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! DO NOT PUT vick OR culpepper IN SAME LIST WITH THESE Q.B.'s EVER AGAIN.

Vick is trying to change a game that does not need changing. Tell the punk to learn to make a decision and out some faith in hie receivers before running. Culpepper . . . . . . . . . . .whatever. :roll:
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Darth Lex-idius vs. Obi Lex kanobi
lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2920
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:59 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:19 pm

5150 wrote:Farve isn't the best ever, but if I had to put together a team, I'd want him as my QB. I'll never forget that MNF right after his dad died and he had an amazing game, something like 35 points in the first half. It's was damn near inspirational.


Look, I'm a Packer fan and like Farve but that game was one where his recievers bailed him out. Farve just put up rainbow ice cream cones into double coverage and came up roses. Witness games later that season when he tried the same thing with drastically different results, sometimes 3 or 4 picks.

Best QB of all time? Jim Plunkett, who else?
Coran Fixx
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1480
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:00 pm
Location: Hazzard County, MO

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:36 pm

Yeah...da Raiders had a few good ones...the "Snake" was a bit better than Plunket IMOHO.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
LicketySplit
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24535
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Soap Lake, Wa

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:43 pm

What about Snake Stabler? And John Elway all the way.
"...in 20 years time, America will have turned into a fascist theocracy." The late Frank Zappa
1986 CNN's Crossfire
Wiseblood007
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:43 pm

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:55 pm

I said Montana, but I really like Tom Brady right now. He always seems so calm and knows just what he needs to do.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy
Jebus
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 10:29 am
Location: Oklahoma

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:58 pm

another Brett Favre vote. Before it's all over he'll have all the records.
lookin at a thing in a bag.
AmishRakeFight
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1402
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:41 am
Location: Racine, Wisconsin.

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:59 pm

Scorpiuscat wrote:I voted for Elway.

He took 3 crap teams to the Super Bowl, he went to 5 total Super Bowls, won 2 back to back, he has won more games than any QB in history and he was dammed exciting to watch as you never knew what improbable play he would pull off next.

I remember one game against the Chiefs, the Broncos were down 19-6 with less than 2 minutes to go and Elway pulls out a 20-6 win in one of the most exciting games I have ever watched.

And who can forget those AFC championship games against the Cleveland Browns are classics.


:evil:

I was a big Browns fan back then. Bernie Kosar never got his shot. But I'd have to vote for Montana. I just happened to grow up watching him, so there's some bias there. But anybody on that list could be considered The Man.
It's hilarious that the same people who laud the "benefits" of 16x9 aspect ratios also praise Chrome for "freeing up screen space."
Image
Windows XP will never die!
kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2374
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:47 pm
Location: Communistwealth of Virginia

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:23 pm

z-man wrote:
Scorpiuscat wrote:I remember one game against the Chiefs, the Broncos were down 19-6 with less than 2 minutes to go and Elway pulls out a 20-6 win in one of the most exciting games I have ever watched.


How did the Chiefs score 1 point?

lol

I am assuming Denver came back to win 20 - 19 AFTER being down 19 - 6.

I remember that game but I don't remember the score.



LOL...whoops, my bad, typo central there.

Broncos did wiin 20-19.
All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct - Carl Sagan
Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere on the Edge of Reality

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:24 pm

kvndoom wrote:
Scorpiuscat wrote:I voted for Elway.

He took 3 crap teams to the Super Bowl, he went to 5 total Super Bowls, won 2 back to back, he has won more games than any QB in history and he was dammed exciting to watch as you never knew what improbable play he would pull off next.

I remember one game against the Chiefs, the Broncos were down 19-6 with less than 2 minutes to go and Elway pulls out a 20-6 win in one of the most exciting games I have ever watched.

And who can forget those AFC championship games against the Cleveland Browns are classics.


:evil:

I was a big Browns fan back then. Bernie Kosar never got his shot. But I'd have to vote for Montana. I just happened to grow up watching him, so there's some bias there. But anybody on that list could be considered The Man.


Ya, most Browns fans are NOT big Elway fans....go figure :roll:
All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct - Carl Sagan
Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere on the Edge of Reality

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:23 am

I'm surprised noone voted for Jim McMahon. Easily the classiest, toughtest quarterback ever.

*does Super Bowl Shuffle*

[img]http://www.onewest.net/~durward\mcmahon1.jpg[/img]
Warming up the "cannon."

[img]http://www.onewest.net/~durward\mcmahon2.jpg[/img]
This picture was taken from the only time he was ever sacked.


"Losing is no disgrace if you've given your best." -McMahon

Words spoken like a true champion.
Last edited by 5150 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
5150
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2387
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:22 pm
Location: Sales Tax Is For Commies

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:25 am

5150 wrote:I'm surprised noone voted for Jim McMahon. Easily the classiest, toughtest quarterback ever.

*does Super Bowl Shuffle*

[img]http://www.onewest.net/~durward\mcmahon1.jpg[/img]
Warming up the "canon."

[img]http://www.onewest.net/~durward\mcmahon2.jpg[/img]
This picture was taken from the only time he was ever sacked.


"Losing is no disgrace if you've given your best." -McMahon

Words spoken like a true champion.


Nothing is showing up there, maybe just links instead?" I want to see the canon!" / tom green
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 11883
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 4:55 am
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:26 am

kvndoom wrote:Bernie Kosar never got his shot.


1993 NFC Championship game. Aikman goes out with a concussion, Kosar comes in to bring it on home.

Not a "full-fledged" shot, perhaps, but he contributed, and he got a ring out of it.
Lucky Jack Aubrey
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2174
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:13 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:32 am

pete_roth wrote:Nothing is showing up there, maybe just links instead?" I want to see the canon!" / tom green


Coming up just fine here, I can understand your desire to fall eyes on the greatest quarterback in the history of the universe though, I'm sure the tension is ripping up your insides like <insert AJ comment here>.
5150
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2387
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:22 pm
Location: Sales Tax Is For Commies

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:16 am

5150 wrote:I'm surprised noone voted for Jim McMahon. Easily the classiest, toughtest quarterback ever.


And the most brittle. The reason the Bears didn't win 2-3 Super Bowls in the mid 80's was because they had to run Steve Fuller out there more often than not when McMahon was hurt. Feh. Plus, his arm was average at best. With that D, all he had to do was not lose the game, and he did that reasonably well.

Me and Action Jim looked up Bob Griese's stats last night. He doesn't even belong in this discussion.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 13831
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:49 am

idchafee wrote:
Me and Action Jim looked up Bob Griese's stats last night. He doesn't even belong in this discussion.


Jebus..is that all you two do is whine :lol: They just happened to have the best defense in the league...bruising back..all he had to do was hand the damned ball off..i doubt even Mc whatshisface could even mess that up :o
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
LicketySplit
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24535
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Soap Lake, Wa

Previous

Return to TR Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest