Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:10 am

God I know nothing about the NHL circa 2006.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:13 am

Forget the trap, focus on skill and speed. The oafs and enforcers have gone the way of the do-do bird.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:31 pm

pete_roth wrote:
Havlat is only out another few days, then he'll be back with a vengence. Also, Im looking to clean up my lists. I have too many centers, Im thinking of possibly cutting staal but only for someone like malkin ;)

I've tried a few times (with my bro-in-law) to trade for him - but he's indicated a "no freaking way" stance on that topic...heh

idchafee wrote:
God I know nothing about the NHL circa 2006.

You actually have a good team - but you gotta click on each day and dress as many guys as you can to fill up those slots for each day. Unlike last year's rotisserie league, there is NOT any penalty for trying to keep your guys dressed as much as possible (i.e.: there is no quota for available slots per position) IMHO the only time you might not want to dress a given guy is if you think he's going to get smoked and maybe give you bad plus/minus OR if it's a goalie facing a hot team where he's sure to get pwned.

You only have to do it once a week or so.

As far as drafting guys - you don't need to know much. Just go add players and sort by current 2006/07 rankings. Then compare that to your current player in question. Perhaps then consider how a team is doing overall, and last year's stats for good measure. If things are looking better for that free agent versus your underachieving player - go for it. I also utilize the "watch list" to keep an eye on players that are hot. Do they stay hot next week? Do I have guys that are underperforming in comparison?

Other things you can do are check out the every-10-days-or so writeups that Yahoo does. Also Google News search for "fantasy NHL" and read articles from the newspapers about fantasy news. They are often more frequently published then what comes from Yahoo, although the Yahoo info is usually pretty good FWIW.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:53 am

What's the scoop with Injured Reserve. I thought that once someone went on the IR list and I moved that player to IR, a roster spot opened up. Mats Sundin is now on the IR, I moved him to IR, and I didn't get a spot? Whassup?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:02 am

Captain Ned wrote:
What's the scoop with Injured Reserve. I thought that once someone went on the IR list and I moved that player to IR, a roster spot opened up. Mats Sundin is now on the IR, I moved him to IR, and I didn't get a spot? Whassup?

Not sure, the rules might be different for this years league.... However how is it handled for that rosted spot while on IR? To play the IR again you must drop 1?

I have havlat on IR and I picked up another defensemen iirc...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:51 am

pete_roth wrote:
Not sure, the rules might be different for this years league.... However how is it handled for that rosted spot while on IR? To play the IR again you must drop 1?

I have havlat on IR and I picked up another defensemen iirc...

Looking at the league settings there's 18 active roster spots and one IR spot. Yahoo's only letting me have 17 active roster spots with Sundin on IR.

EDIT: Never mind. I had prefilled my rosters and I had to take Sundin out of all the prefilled rosters before I got the open spot.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:22 am

Captain Ned wrote:
EDIT: Never mind. I had prefilled my rosters and I had to take Sundin out of all the prefilled rosters before I got the open spot.

I had this problem last year too. Took me awhile to figure it out.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:25 am

Havlat should be back next week I think. Overall, I'd say this is the best team I've ever put together. I have a defense based on the anaheim and Dallas primarily, both with really GA averages, and goaltending anchored by a hotLanta, and scoring powered by the kid and company.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:31 am

I'm coming for you Pete. :wink:

I think I have the best D and goaltending.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:08 am

I mean it's O-K, heh. We'll see.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:16 am

Hasek's shutout last night was like no fair. (from a me-vs-you fantasy perspective) hehe

"I never even had to make one save. I stopped the puck, I poke-checked the puck, I passed the puck, but I didn't have to make a save." -- Dominik Hasek, who only had to stop 16 shots to earn his 70th career shutout and help Detroit to a 3-0 win over Edmonton on Wednesday night. The Red Wings outshot the Oilers 14-0 in the first period.

The Wings are on quite a streak now aren't they. Nice to see Zetterburg finally get rolling.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:28 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Hasek's shutout last night was like no fair. (from a me-vs-you fantasy perspective) hehe

"I never even had to make one save. I stopped the puck, I poke-checked the puck, I passed the puck, but I didn't have to make a save." -- Dominik Hasek, who only had to stop 16 shots to earn his 70th career shutout and help Detroit to a 3-0 win over Edmonton on Wednesday night. The Red Wings outshot the Oilers 14-0 in the first period.

The Wings are on quite a streak now aren't they. Nice to see Zetterburg finally get rolling.

Did you see that hit the other night? I didn't get names but christ on a bike did a wing lay a guy out. Clean hit and about decapitated him. Whoa. I think it was the oilers game.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:06 pm

It was last night, Jason Williams:

DETROIT -- Red Wings forward Jason Williams was at Joe Louis Arena on Thursday and could be back playing as early as Tuesday in Vancouver.

Williams suffered a mild concussion and had 30 stitches to repair a deep gash in his forehead after a hit delivered by Edmonton's Raffi Torres during Wednesday's night's 3-0 Detroit victory.

Williams lay motionless for several minutes before being wheeled away on a stretcher and into an ambulance. Williams spent the night at Detroit Medical Center.

Williams was back at JLA on Thursday to get his car and go back home. He didn't practice, but could be back on the ice after further neurological tests Friday.

Williams will not play Friday when the Wings are host to the Nashville Predators at 7:30 p.m. The Wings recalled forward Brad Norton, who was sent to Grand Rapids earlier in the week.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:21 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
It was last night, Jason Williams:

DETROIT -- Red Wings forward Jason Williams was at Joe Louis Arena on Thursday and could be back playing as early as Tuesday in Vancouver.

Williams suffered a mild concussion and had 30 stitches to repair a deep gash in his forehead after a hit delivered by Edmonton's Raffi Torres during Wednesday's night's 3-0 Detroit victory.

Williams lay motionless for several minutes before being wheeled away on a stretcher and into an ambulance. Williams spent the night at Detroit Medical Center.

Williams was back at JLA on Thursday to get his car and go back home. He didn't practice, but could be back on the ice after further neurological tests Friday.

Williams will not play Friday when the Wings are host to the Nashville Predators at 7:30 p.m. The Wings recalled forward Brad Norton, who was sent to Grand Rapids earlier in the week.

Yea I had it backwards, I meant a wing got hit, williams is a good guy, he'll be fine.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:53 am

P. Marleau had a Hatty last night. A good night for me overall. The sharks and ducks look like really legit competitors EARLY for a change this year.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:20 pm

Heck, the Ducks just broke an NHL record for the longest a team has ever gone without loosing in regulation from the beginning of the season, ever. Way to go Giggie 8) and he did it with a shutout last night too. :D

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:22 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Heck, the Ducks just broke an NHL record for the longest a team has ever gone without loosing in regulation from the beginning of the season, ever. Way to go Giggie 8) and he did it with a shutout last night too. :D

Meh, maybe you should see the beating I'm giving noogies4free as of last night.

Tonight was a tough choice: pick 2 to play: Nylander, Crosby, Marleau, or Staal. All centers. Usually I don't have this problem. I took Nylander and Marleau just because they've been hot and their opposition isn't too bad. (Pheonix? Come on...)

Pens on the other hand sucked last night and they play a decent carolina team with a hot goalie :wink: Still, there's a part of me that knows Sid can break out of a funk at any time. Meh, it's almost time for me to be back in first place again ... :lol:

edit: AND the wings blanked the nashville (sexual) predators. Booyah Hasek with the blank. Show em how it's done old man, get off his front lawn!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:56 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:

I don't think we watched the same game. The ducks lost to the flames 3-0...

edit: I think you were referring to the Canucks game, nvm.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:55 pm

I'm embarrassed. I made a deal a few days ago and just now noticed that I had 3 slots empty. I think I might have a decent team but I suck because I don't switch my guys in and out. So, I just went and made my moves for the next 3 weeks. I'm going to try to do better from here on out.

Edit: I need a center I have RW out the azz, does anyone have a spare C and need a RW?

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:31 am

What's your teams name chafee?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:51 am

pete_roth wrote:

Stuck in 1993

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:45 am

I've been looking to drop staal. Good SHG scoring type, but he's been quiet lately. I also wanted to drop Gaborik (my C, LW, RW guy) so IO could drop him and trade you Staal for a RW of yours.

Whats odd is you have a really solid team, I have no idea how your in the basement.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:54 am

idchafee wrote:
pete_roth wrote:

Stuck in 1993

Ah, that explains this week's score. 8)

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:15 pm

pete_roth wrote:
Whats odd is you have a really solid team, I have no idea how your in the basement.

I've left a lot of points on the bench too often. I don't know who is good and who isn't, so I just sort of let it ride. I also didn't realize that there were no limits on starting guys, so I was worried about hitting a cap. Now I know there is no cap, I'm at the very least going to get guys in the lineup.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:33 am

Figures Stiffie starts doing this...when it's my week against him :wink:

Made some big trades. Straka for Iginla - Spezza and Phaneuf for Michalek and Malkin 8)

I think I'll be looking for a premier Defenseman once the later trade goes through. I think I'll finally be set for RW with Michalek and Iginla as the starters there...

I'm looking to trade Chris Drury / Chris Clark / Mila Hejduk possibly.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:52 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Figures Stiffie starts doing this...when it's my week against him :wink:

Made some big trades. Straka for Iginla - Spezza and Phaneuf for Michalek and Malkin 8)

I think I'll be looking for a premier Defenseman once the later trade goes through. I think I'll finally be set for RW with Michalek and Iginla as the starters there...

I'm looking to trade Chris Drury / Chris Clark / Mila Hejduk possibly.

Drury of the sabres? Why did he get hurt :wink:

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:53 am

Nope, Drury is just fine - it's just that I'm chock-fulla good centers :)

I'll also throw Jokinen into the pool of possible trade bait.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:58 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Nope, Drury is just fine - it's just that I'm chock-fulla good centers :)

I'll also throw Jokinen into the pool of possible trade bait.
I might be willing to trade for Drury... I have an abundance as well...

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:01 am

WTF Yahoo? I thought we were friends? Why didn't you tell me that
Marian Gaborik was injured? Where do you even make mention? No IR, no "He's hurt stupid, don't play him" mentioned.

Havlat and Gaborik are hurting, hopefully havlat will be back soon, Marian is out until Dec I just find out this morning.

PS The wings won again, woo woo! It's really nice to see SO many different names scoring, this bodes well for their future. What is that, like 9 games now? :)

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:36 am

Go Wings indeed. 8)

What about that trade offer I made you Pete?