Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

ALMS/LMES/Le Mans 2007 discussion thread

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:26 pm

OK, the 2007 Sebring 12 Hours is coming up this weekend, so it's time to open a new thread.

Not much competition for the Audi R10s, which have been updated some - paint scheme, suspension, and engine tuning. Oh, and a smaller fuel tank. But, I don't think the Creation that is the nearest threat can catch it. Maybe...

P2... the Porsche RS Spyders are even better. And, the Acura entries. P2 is going to be absolutely insane. And, the funny thing is, the RS Spyders are just as likely to catch the R10s as the Creation. :lol:

Corvettes ahead of Astons in GT1, but barely. I know, not news...

Ferrari appears to have GT2.

draksia
Gerbil

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:30 pm

There will be a Jetta TDI runing in the World Challenge race on friday I hoping it does well(VW TDI owner).

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:57 pm

Yup, almost forgot about that one.

For those that aren't familiar with ALMS, there's often other races the same weekend to help draw the fans of those series to the ALMS race, as well, and vice versa.

And, the Speed World Challenge series is REAL stock cars (well, not 100% stock, but you get my drift, they're not like NASCARs).

/me is hoping that THREE TDIs do well this weekend - the Chili Pepper Jetta, and both R10s. :) (86 Golf diesel owner...)

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:53 pm

Ouch, the Jetta got OMGWTFPWNED in practice. :( 50 seconds slower PER LAP than the leader... and last place of the cars that registered times.

I've heard that it's not near full tune, but I see that being fixed in the near future...

http://www.world-challenge.com/events/r ... php?ID=375

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:24 pm

Audi wins! :D

(And gets fourth place.)

Those Acuras are damned fast. I'm a fan of Audi, but I'd say Acura's gonna win Mid-Ohio and the Utah GP, assuming restrictions aren't put on Acura, or removed from Audi.

And, I didn't actually SEE it, but I heard it - that GT2 finish... :o I heard it's been contested though, so the drama continues! :lol:

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:40 pm

hmmm the Utah GP is only about 200 miles from here. I might have to think about going to it.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:46 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Ouch, the Jetta got OMGWTFPWNED in practice. :( 50 seconds slower PER LAP than the leader... and last place of the cars that registered times.

I've heard that it's not near full tune, but I see that being fixed in the near future...

http://www.world-challenge.com/events/r ... php?ID=375
Wow, 36% slower than the leader, and 33% slower than the next slowest car. 20 mph per lap disadvantage vs. everyone. That's pretty poor.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:49 pm

http://www.world-challenge.com/events/r ... php?ID=382

That's the end results. Only ran two laps before it retired due to mechanical failure, and ended in last place. :eek:

And, I think MY car would have been as fast. :lol:

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:57 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
http://www.world-challenge.com/events/raceresults.php?ID=382

That's the end results. Only ran two laps before it retired due to mechanical failure, and ended in last place. :eek:

And, I think MY car would have been as fast. :lol:
At least it blew away its practice results :)

Out of curiosity, why is endurance racing what floats your boat? Is it just the actual presence of diesels?

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:28 pm

Nah, I've been somewhat interested in ALMS even before I knew that diesel cars still existed. ;)

It's mainly the fact that the technology DOES trickle down, and the fact that one ALMS/LMES/Le Mans race is five races in one - P1, P2, GT1, and GT2, plus the overall race (which is usually between the P1 and P2 leaders, if there is that race) - that makes it interesting for me.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:03 pm

Audi wins again. :)