Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Giambi in a whole mess of trouble

Mon May 21, 2007 11:48 am

Not only is he not hitting, the Yankees are considering dropping his contract due to an apparent admission of guilt.

At this point, I don't think there's a bad time to tell the world you did the wrong thing and you're owning up to it. He could get dropped and nobody would touch him. That's life. But this took guts.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 21, 2007 12:49 pm

[tinfoil hat]

I wonder how much somebody offered him to get this stirred up now before Bonds breaks the HR record.

[/tinfoil hat]
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2007 1:10 pm

you know, that's interesting, I might just keep that tinfoil hat on should I be you.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

FunkeeC
Gerbil XP

Mon May 21, 2007 1:11 pm

2 thoughts...

Now you know why Bond's lawyer has told him to keep his mouth shut.

and to derFunk, he has an almost 400 OBP, he is an on base machine. Even if they do move to void his contract, he will be on some AL team as a DH rather quickly.

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon May 21, 2007 1:16 pm

I've heard it isn't likely he is going to get in trouble. He never stated exactly what he did. He said I regret doing that "junk".

Also they've said even if he has language in his contract that says he can be terminated. There are general rules due to the players union that would supersede his contract.

I don't really care "baseball" knew what was happening and it literally took the government to step in for them to put a substance abuse system in place. They shouldn't be able to deny any players of records or the hall of fame. They loved it when these guys hit 55 to 70 home runs.

Go Tigers.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2007 1:55 pm

I would hate to think that the Yankees would be obliged to pay him even if he was juicing and it was proven.

FunkeeC
Gerbil XP

Mon May 21, 2007 2:31 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I would hate to think that the Yankees would be obliged to pay him even if he was juicing and it was proven.

Proven how? They cant go back in time to test. Unseal grand jury testamony? Meaningless statements made to the media? And to think that the Yankees were completely unaware of any possible substance use by the player before signing him to that huge contract is well nieve IMO.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2007 2:50 pm

If the supposed grand jury testimony is really what he said (true or not doesn't matter to me, in this case - but if he told the grand jury he knowingly took steroids) then that should be sufficient grounds for both suspension by MLB *and* dismissal from the Yankees.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon May 21, 2007 3:09 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
If the supposed grand jury testimony is really what he said (true or not doesn't matter to me, in this case - but if he told the grand jury he knowingly took steroids) then that should be sufficient grounds for both suspension by MLB *and* dismissal from the Yankees.
His testimony form that is confidential.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2007 3:26 pm

yeah, but if it goes to trial he could be called to make that same testimony and make it public.

It's not automatic that he'll get dismissed. It's also not a sure thing that he won't.

cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 21, 2007 3:58 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Why? Its OK if he and sheffield et al lie about it and win, but being truthful, clean, and losing is enough to get you canned.... hell no wonder steroids have taken over every high school in the nation.

Everybody in Baseball, and most every fan outside of it knew damn well something was up, the numbers were too ridiculous. I mean... McGwire is exempt in my book because he was always big and always hit big (and has never lied to anyone or lied to congress... he was just quiet) ... but bonds... He is twice as big as he was when a rookie.... giambi... have you seen how skinny his brother is? Now talk about the pitchers on the juice.... if no name marginals have been caught you know its deeper than that.

Its all a moot point because its obvious to me that there is a replacement drug now (hgh maybe). Giambi is as big as ever, bonds has swelled back up, and sosa can even hit one out again. Look at the henry aaron/bonds comparison in just how they look at the end of their careers....