steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Chris Benoit and family, Dead.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:32 pm

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:14 pm

My wife and I tuned in to RAW late tonight and were shocked to see what was going on. It is a sad day for wrestling. If you don't follow the sport, Chris Benoit was a true competitor and will be missed by everyone associated with professional wrestling.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:19 pm

Benoit was the best technical wrestler of this era, no one really close, really. I'll wait to see what the facts are, but a little voice in the back of my head is saying "Phil Hartman"
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:23 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070626/ap_ ... stler_dead

The station said that investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and 7-year-old son, Daniel, over the weekend, then himself on Monday.

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:26 pm

*comment redacted. I just can't care. :cry:

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:27 pm

idchafee wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070626/ap_on_re_us/wrestler_dead

The station said that investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and 7-year-old son, Daniel, over the weekend, then himself on Monday.

I can only say...... WTF! :o

I will never understand sh$@ like that, never.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:57 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3315501&page=1

There were no signs of gunshot wounds or stabbing, according to Pope. Authorities are not ruling out other causes, such as poisoning, suffocation or strangulation. Pope told ABC News that his department is looking at this situation as a "possible double murder, suicide."

Pope said "the instruments of death were located on scene," but he would not specify what those instruments are or where in the house the bodies were found. Pope added the department is "not actively searching for any suspects outside of the house."

This doesn't sound good.

BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:34 pm

Rolling20s wrote:
My wife and I tuned in to RAW late tonight and were shocked to see what was going on. It is a sad day for wrestling. If you don't follow the sport, Chris Benoit was a true competitor and will be missed by everyone associated with professional wrestling.

If it turns out he did it, he won't be missed by me and the tribute to him would have been a waste.

It was a shock to turn on RAW tonight and see this going on though.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:40 am

If you liked Chris Benoit, don't click on this amusing article about him.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:57 am

What's really sad to me is to see so many people touched by him for all the 3 hours on tv, and then to find out this morning via the intarwebs that he killed them. I hereby retract my sadness and better substitute it with anger for a pussy who killed a woman and her son. What an jerk.

Curious of the reason why, couldn't be money right? He did have kids outside that marriage.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:23 am

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/ ... 20530.html

Details of the deaths "are going to prove a little bizarre" when released to the public, Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

:-? :-? :-? :( :( :(

if Kevin Sullivan feels vindicated by this, he's even more of a petty tool than I've read.

Severus
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:41 am

idchafee wrote:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4920530.html

Details of the deaths "are going to prove a little bizarre" when released to the public, Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

:-? :-? :-? :( :( :(

if Kevin Sullivan feels vindicated by this, he's even more of a petty tool than I've read.

The comments on that news piece are more disturbing than the news. Someone seems to be seriously claiming that he was murdered because he was going to beat some other dude in an upcoming wrestling "match". I feel like I'm drowning in morons.
"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, rounded with a little sleep"

ric
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:03 am

PerfectCr wrote:
I bet one person who feels "vindicated" (if you call it that) is Kevin Sullivan. He never forgave Benoit for "stealing" his wife.

Anyway, speaking as someone who has been in the wrestling business since 1995, I've never understood why there are so many people willing to destroy their lives. At the WWE level most of the guys are professional, business-like, and friendly. But at the lower levels of the business such as local independents leadership and training are sorely lacking. Trainers like the Harts and the Samoans (my trainers) are few and far between. Unfortunately people enter the wrestling business that should never have, and they make a bad name for everyone in the business. This is because local trainers see $$$$ in a new fresh student. They tell these young boys that they can be "WWE SUPERSTARS" with only $3000 and six months of training.

I am not saying Benoit was one of these guys. I've met him a few times, and everyone I know says he was a family man and loved his kids. He either snapped or he had us all fooled. Who knows what the truth is. I do know that some people are just too immature to perform in this business. They lose sight of the fact that they are human. Believe me the lights, the fame, the TV, the crowds....it's easy to believe you are more than you are. Unlike an actor, you live your character every night, in every arena. If you lack the mental maturity to handle this, people lose sight of who they are. They lose sight of the fact that wrestling is a PERFORMANCE. That they are playing a role. I've seen all too many times. Over the years I've met some guys backstage and said "this dude isn't going to make it".

What I do know is that wrestling gets another black eye. Another untimely death. How many more people need to die before someone really takes the lead in this business? Obviously McMahon is not doing it.

Now I will say this. I have seen a change in the younger generation of guys out there. Edge, CM Punk, Matt Striker, Afa Jr. (he'll be called up to WWE soon). I know these guys and they are from my generation. They grew up a little smarter and more educated. They've seen the mistakes made, and they never had to go through the "kayfabe" era when all the boys pretended wrestling was a real sport. I am hoping we have turned the corner on this with the younger guys.

Isn't Edge, one of the 11 (and counting) pro wrestlers named in a probe
alleged to have received 6 different types of steroidal substances.

If my memory serves me right (to name a few)... Rey Mysterio, Randy Orton, Kurt Angle, the late Eddie Guerrero are also on that list...

On the UFC front, fighters like Royce Gracie, Morton and Percy are also causing alarm...

Maybe, we should start a new type of sport...Sports on Steroids (SOS)
Veritas vos liberabit
--------------------------------------------------------
Sugo evo (falcon nw handle) - gigabyte ga-g33m-ds2r/ 1:1 divider - corsair 620watt psu - QX6700 - patriot eXtreme 4gb - evga 8800Ultra 768mb - 150g raptor - dell 24"

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:07 am

Read a rumor that his wife choked his son to death, he lost it, offed her. Hope it didn't go down like that.

ric
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:28 am

PerfectCr wrote:
ric wrote:
Isn't Edge, one of the 11 (and counting) pro wrestlers named in a probe
alleged to have received 6 different types of steroidal substances.

If my memory serves me right (to name a few)... Rey Mysterio, Randy Orton, Kurt Angle, the late Eddie Guerrero are also on that list...

I don't necessarily equate steroid use with murdering your wife and family. I don't condone steroid use (or any drug use) but a majority of the guys I know have tried 'roids or actively cycle it and they are otherwise perfectly normal mentally. (health concerns aside, which is their business and I don't get involved). Sure you can say they have poor judgment for using drugs in the first place, and I agree. But many of the guys do what they feel is necessary to get ahead. I don't agree they all need to do roids to get ahead either. They believe this. Hell, if they all stopped at once maybe the size obsession in wrestling would end.

Me neither. Its just that steroids have been reported to cause behavioral effects (mood swings), but the real problem is the withdrawal effect which leads to depression and sometimes that may lead towards suicidal tendencies

Benoit did cancel an engagement, citing personal reasons.
Veritas vos liberabit

Sugo evo (falcon nw handle) - gigabyte ga-g33m-ds2r/ 1:1 divider - corsair 620watt psu - QX6700 - patriot eXtreme 4gb - evga 8800Ultra 768mb - 150g raptor - dell 24"

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:49 am

This incident really needs to be seperated from any sort of debate on steroids. The perception that steroids can lead to this sort of tragedy needs to be dispelled. They simply don't work that way. If anything, mental illness would be more appropriate.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

jinjuku
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:48 am

While steroids main purpose is obvious, they can cause hyper aggressive behavior, a short fuse, depression etc... The list goes on.

They can also cause your heart to explode when your 38, pickle your liver, cause major tendon and ligament damage.

Kurt Angle looks like a freak he is on so much **** right now... How could you **** your self up like that is beyond me.

I am not saying everyone will react that way either, physiologies are all different.
Computers and OS's are tools, not religions. Use the best tool for the job.

Justice
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:49 am

pete_roth wrote:
Read a rumor that his wife choked his son to death, he lost it, offed her. Hope it didn't go down like that.

Now that makes some semblance of sense. ANYONE trying to kill, or successfully killed one my kids.. yeah, I'd be out to do the same. Not saying it's right, but if it was me... I do understand.
|FN|Steel wrote:
Millions of sheep doesn't make [Censored] right.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:36 am

pete_roth wrote:

Linkage?

Fighthouse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:54 am

Off of the cnn.com homepage:

"A law enforcement official close to the investigation tells The Associated Press that pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room."
Does not compute

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:09 pm

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:33 pm

I wonder if Vince is regretting that Chris Benoit lovefest he broadcast last night...

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:44 pm

idchafee wrote:
I wonder if Vince is regretting that Chris Benoit lovefest he broadcast last night...
One day of insanity doesn't negate whatever else the guy's done with his life. It's not like any consistent pattern of being a crap human being has come out. At times like this maybe we need a bit of help remembering the good along with the bad.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:52 pm

mattsteg wrote:
idchafee wrote:
One day of insanity doesn't negate whatever else the guy's done with his life. It's not like any consistent pattern of being a crap human being has come out. At times like this maybe we need a bit of help remembering the good along with the bad.

Maybe not entirely, but smothering a 7 year old kid (if thats in fact what happened) goes a long way to erasing a lifetime of good works.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:54 pm

They are already proclaiming steroids may have been a factor in his depression and are awaiting the autopsy. The Vince love thing was more than likely 100% scripted and just part of the show, if he was having family problems at home it doesn't seem like any family member or friend knew about it that came forward. Really sad, I hope there is more to it than him just offing his kid and wife and then himself.

BKA
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:01 pm

For wrestling fans, this is just terrible news. Benoit was an incredible wrestler with great ring performance. I've been a wrestling fan for over 20+ years and this death is up there with the death of Owen Hart.

I'm glad they got the dedication show out of the way before the reasons came out. I was able to feel sorry for the family before rushing to judgement about the cause of deaths. Which is why WWE probably did the dedication show as quickly as possible. Something tells me they knew he was having "personal problems". Killing yourself is one thing but taking innocent people with you is just cowardly to me. Especially a child.

I believe Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko and Eddie Guerrero were close friends who came into wrestling at the same time in WCW. Only Dean Malenko is left from that threesome. Benoit and Malenko put on some great matches back in the WCW days.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:06 pm

idchafee wrote:

Maybe not entirely, but smothering a 7 year old kid (if thats in fact what happened) goes a long way to erasing a lifetime of good works.

Yes.

You always hear what a good neighbor serial killers are.

I will easily let one horrific even ruin my perception of an individual. Like Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson, etc.
Last edited by PRIME1 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:11 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:
OJ Simpson, etc.

At least OJ didn't kill the kids. :-?

Leon, The Professional wrote:
No Women. No Kids

ric
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:12 pm

pete_roth wrote:
They are already proclaiming steroids may have been a factor in his depression and are awaiting the autopsy. The Vince love thing was more than likely 100% scripted and just part of the show, if he was having family problems at home it doesn't seem like any family member or friend knew about it that came forward. Really sad, I hope there is more to it than him just offing his kid and wife and then himself.

Its hard to believe that no one in that organization (wwe) saw warning signs

Benoit had to talk to a friend, family member...or someone. Thats my gut feeling on this....
Veritas vos liberabit

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself by the pulley of a weightlifting machine, authorities said Tuesday. Investigators also found prescription anabolic steroids in the house.