College football thread

Tech Report Fantasy Sports League and general sports discussion.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Postposted on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:32 pm

This college football year = unbelievable

It's almost like no one wants to go to the championship. Any team that had the title game in hand has screwed it up, and teams like Ohio St., LSU, and USC are now getting 2nd and 3rd chances at it. Ugh, it's hard to watch. I hate the BCS, but I also believe it would be hard to implement a playoff system without pissing people off as well. There is controversy no matter what.

Anyways the only thing I am happy about is Bo Pelini coming to Nebraska, he's a hell of a coach.
jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:30 pm
Location: University of Nebraska Lincoln

Postposted on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 pm

I believe that this deserves a big "OH SNAP!"

-SF
"Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you would not have been notified."
SlyFerret
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Delaware, Ohio

Postposted on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:46 pm

it'd be nice to see Washington "upset" Hawaii also.
Hawaii is another idiotic team that thinks it deserves something when it never schedules anyone.

Play someone.. and then you can at least make a claim at something.

Georgia may very well be the best team in the country now.. I hope they make it in instead of LSU.. but I cant see the AP idiots voting against LSU after having won the SEC.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Postposted on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:56 pm

oh.. and I'd just like to make an open comment for Dennis Dodd.. possibly the most idiotic and worst sportswriter of all time.

You SUCK DODD!

.. talking up Kansas and Missouri. you're such an imbecile.. why someone pays you to write your drivel is beyond me.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Postposted on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:58 pm

danny e. wrote:you're suck an imbecile..


Say what?
"Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you would not have been notified."
SlyFerret
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Delaware, Ohio

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:00 am

SlyFerret wrote:
danny e. wrote:you're suck an imbecile..


Say what?


heh. you're a bit slow on the reply. fixed before your post ftw!
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:51 pm

if the bowl predictions turn out correct, this is completely lunacy.
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootba ... redictions

Oklahoma vs Kansas ? come on, thats just retarded.
They should NEVER put two teams from the same conference in a big bowl. Why not just switch and have OKlahoma vs V Tech and Kansas vs West Virginia.. or vice versa. After all, the "ranking" that the media gives those teams is completely worthless.

Also, LSU jumping over 3 teams to get into the National championship is also a farce. Georgia actually deserved it. At least LSU is much more deserving than Ohio St.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:00 pm

Georgia doesn't deserve it because they didn't win their conference championship. If both teams have 2 losses and one is conference championship, why should Georgia be placed ahead?
Ahhhhhhh!
chasscF1
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:01 pm

hahaha

i just noticed the prediction for Georgia vs Hawaii. now that would be a good game!! 45 - 10
Last edited by danny e. on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:03 pm

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootba ... y/10507402
Six computers and 174 voters suddenly have to face this season's ultimate question.

Which two teams are less mediocre than the rest?



:lol: :lol:
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 13877
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:28 pm

I say put OU vs OSU.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B
rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:36 pm

danny e. wrote:if the bowl predictions turn out correct, this is completely lunacy.
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootba ... redictions

Oklahoma vs Kansas ? come on, thats just retarded.
They should NEVER put two teams from the same conference in a big bowl. Why not just switch and have OKlahoma vs V Tech and Kansas vs West Virginia.. or vice versa. After all, the "ranking" that the media gives those teams is completely worthless.

Also, LSU jumping over 3 teams to get into the National championship is also a farce. Georgia actually deserved it. At least LSU is much more deserving than Ohio St.


From Stewart Mandel of CNNSI:

Say what you want about the oft-criticized Buckeyes. They won a conference championship in one of the six recognized major conferences, and they were the only one of the six to make it through with just one loss. Like it or not, Ohio State has come the closest of any team to "earning" a spot in the title game.
Hey, anyone can have a bad century! 1907 & 1908 World Champions.
AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE
My two favorite football teams: Ohio State and whoever plays Michigan!
ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 4:20 am
Location: A Buckeye stuck in an unholy land of Gator fans

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:43 pm

ifittakesforever wrote:
danny e. wrote:if the bowl predictions turn out correct, this is completely lunacy.
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootba ... redictions

Oklahoma vs Kansas ? come on, thats just retarded.
They should NEVER put two teams from the same conference in a big bowl. Why not just switch and have OKlahoma vs V Tech and Kansas vs West Virginia.. or vice versa. After all, the "ranking" that the media gives those teams is completely worthless.

Also, LSU jumping over 3 teams to get into the National championship is also a farce. Georgia actually deserved it. At least LSU is much more deserving than Ohio St.


From Stewart Mandel of CNNSI:

Say what you want about the oft-criticized Buckeyes. They won a conference championship in one of the six recognized major conferences, and they were the only one of the six to make it through with just one loss. Like it or not, Ohio State has come the closest of any team to "earning" a spot in the title game.

who cares.

the big 10 is a stinking pile this year.. Hawaii hasnt lost a game at all yet. If you dont play anyone good its not hard to keep winning.

sadly enough, if it were up to me I'd probably still put Ohio St in there.. simply because there is currently no better system.. and it is hard to punish Ohio St for the rest of the Big 10 sucking.
however, I dont think Ohio St is even in the top 5.. probably somewhere down near 8 or 9.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:55 pm

danny e. wrote:sadly enough, if it were up to me I'd probably still put Ohio St in there.. simply because there is currently no better system.. and it is hard to punish Ohio St for the rest of the Big 10 sucking.


danny e. wrote: however, I dont think Ohio St is even in the top 5.. probably somewhere down near 8 or 9.


I don't get it. If Ohio State is 8 or 9, then you ought not to put them in the title game if it was up to you. If you have them at 8 or 9, put your 1 and 2 in there if it was up to you.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 13877
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:00 pm

idchafee wrote:
danny e. wrote:sadly enough, if it were up to me I'd probably still put Ohio St in there.. simply because there is currently no better system.. and it is hard to punish Ohio St for the rest of the Big 10 sucking.


danny e. wrote: however, I dont think Ohio St is even in the top 5.. probably somewhere down near 8 or 9.


I don't get it. If Ohio State is 8 or 9, then you ought not to put them in the title game if it was up to you. If you have them at 8 or 9, put your 1 and 2 in there if it was up to you.

because, despite the fact that I think they are 8 or 9.. i can not prove they are that bad.

I guess if it were all up to me, we probably wouldnt be in this situation because I never would have voted Ohio St into the top 10 to start with. .. so then there wouldnt have to be some crazy situation of trying to vote them down.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:06 pm

This season, among all others, just goes to show that some sort of a playoff system is desperately needed.

=Ninja Edit=
Boomer Sooner.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3021
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:57 pm

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:21 pm

omg Illinois is going to the Rose Bowl.

They're gonna get destroyed. :oops:
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 13877
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:37 pm

danny e. wrote:if the bowl predictions turn out correct, this is completely lunacy.
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootba ... redictions

Oklahoma vs Kansas ? come on, thats just retarded.
They should NEVER put two teams from the same conference in a big bowl. Why not just switch and have OKlahoma vs V Tech and Kansas vs West Virginia.. or vice versa. After all, the "ranking" that the media gives those teams is completely worthless.

nice to see that the predictors were wrong.

Jan 7: Ohio St. vs LSU
Jan 3: V Tech vs Kansas
Jan 2: W Virginia vs Oklahoma
Jan 1: USC vs Illinois
Jan 1: Hawaii vs Georgia

Overall, these are actually nice matchups. I think the worst of the lot will be the Hawaii vs Georgia game.. in which Hawaii will likely get trounced.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:40 pm

danny e. wrote:I think the worst of the lot will be the Hawaii vs Georgia game.. in which Hawaii will likely get trounced.


I'll bet you that Hawaii gets closer to Georgia than Illinois does to USC.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 13877
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:45 pm

idchafee wrote:
danny e. wrote:I think the worst of the lot will be the Hawaii vs Georgia game.. in which Hawaii will likely get trounced.


I'll bet you that Hawaii gets closer to Georgia than Illinois does to USC.

i'll take that bet.


In other news, Nebraska hires a decent head coach. nice!
Nebraska chooses LSU assistant Pelini as new coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3138430
he was at nebraska before the fruitcake callahan was hired by the idiot pederson.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:04 pm

idchafee wrote:
danny e. wrote:I think the worst of the lot will be the Hawaii vs Georgia game.. in which Hawaii will likely get trounced.


I'll bet you that Hawaii gets closer to Georgia than Illinois does to USC.


I would like to see the Lions draft that QB from Hawaii. I was watching him play last night (at 2 am).
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location

College football bowl schedule

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:25 pm

Here's your complete 32-bowl schedule:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2836420

1/7: Louisiana State vs. Ohio State
1/6: Bowling Green vs. Tulsa
1/5: Rutgers vs. Ball State
1/3: Virginia Polytechnic vs. Kansas
1/2: Oklahoma vs. West Virginia
1/1: Hawaii vs. Georgia
1/1: Illinois vs. Southern California
1/1: Michigan vs. Florida
1/1: Texas Technological vs. Virginia
1/1: Missouri vs. Arkansas
1/1: Wisconsin vs. Tennessee
12/31: Clemson vs. Auburn
12/31: Indiana vs. Oklahoma State
12/31: Kentucky vs. Florida State
12/31: South Florida vs. Oregon
12/31: Georgia Institute of Technology vs. Fresno State
12/31: California vs. Air Force Academy
12/30: Alabama vs. Colorado
12/29: Penn State vs. Texas Agricultural & Mechanical
12/29: Central Florida vs. Mississippi State
12/29: Connecticut vs. Wake Forest
12/28: Maryland vs. Oregon State
12/28: Texas Christian vs. Houston
12/28: Boston College vs. Michigan State
12/27: Arizona State vs. Texas
12/26: Purdue vs. Central Michigan
12/23: Boise State vs. East Carolina
12/22: California at Los Angeles vs. Brigham Young
12/22: Nevada vs. New Mexico
12/22: Southern Mississippi vs. Cincinnati
12/21: Memphis vs. Florida Atlantic
12/20: Utah vs. Naval Academy
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15426
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: College football bowl schedule

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:32 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:Here's your complete 32-bowl schedule:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2836420


Thanks!

It's good to see the Big 10 well represented. I think Michigan can beat Florida. I thought for sure Notre Dame would be playing in the Toilet Bowl.
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:34 pm

Notre Dame will get a $1.3 million payment from the BCS this year, even though they are appearing in no bowl at all, let alone a BCS game. This sort of financial arrangement is the major impediment to a playoff system for Div. I-A football.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15426
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:46 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:Notre Dame will get a $1.3 million payment from the BCS this year, even though they are appearing in no bowl at all, let alone a BCS game. This sort of financial arrangement is the major impediment to a playoff system for Div. I-A football.


I agree. Unless they can figure out a profit system that will benefit the big name schools, there will never be a playoff system.
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:48 pm

danny e. wrote:
idchafee wrote:
danny e. wrote:I think the worst of the lot will be the Hawaii vs Georgia game.. in which Hawaii will likely get trounced.


I'll bet you that Hawaii gets closer to Georgia than Illinois does to USC.

i'll take that bet.


OK, so what are we betting? Money? Bragging rights? Hardware? :lol:
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 13877
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:53 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:This sort of financial arrangement is the major impediment to a playoff system for Div. I-A football.

The mere existence of the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl speaks to impediments reductio ad absurdum.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20275
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:07 pm

danny e. wrote:Jan 7: Big-10 #1 vs. SEC champion
Jan 3: ACC champion vs. Big-12 #2
Jan 2: Big East #1 vs. Big-12 champion
Jan 1: PAC-10 #1 vs. Big-10 #2
Jan 1: WAC (non-BCS) #1 vs. SEC #2

I think the worst of the lot will be the Hawaii vs. Georgia game, in which Hawaii will likely get trounced.
One would hope so. Otherwise, there will be another undefeated team that won't get a shot at a championship. It would, of course, make great sports talk radio fodder to debate whether this would be worse than the injustice that happened to Auburn a few years ago.

If Hawaii hadn't been ranked so high, the ACC, Big East or PAC-10 could have put another team into a BCS bowl for a bigger payout.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15426
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:07 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:This sort of financial arrangement is the major impediment to a playoff system for Div. I-A football.

The mere existence of the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl speaks to impediments reductio ad absurdum.


How long until we see the Doctor Phil McKracken Rectal Exam Bung Bowl?

I'm amazed player jerseys are not yet covered in ads like the cars in NASCAR.
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location

Postposted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:09 pm

PRIME1 wrote:I'm amazed player jerseys are not yet covered in ads like the cars in NASCAR.


At least NASCAR is honest about it. I can respect that.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 13877
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

PreviousNext

Return to TR Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest