Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: NHL playoffs

Wed May 14, 2008 6:54 am

And the '75 islanders if memory serves, but come on, the two powerhouses playing two beat down teams? Dual Sweeps and I think I'd take the wings in 6 over the pens for the cup.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Wed May 14, 2008 7:14 am

I missed most of the 1st and 3rd periods last night. :cry:

I did catch that amazing diving defensive play by Gonchar to stop the breakaway. NICE. :o

LOL @ Zman

Tonight the Wings put the Stars out of their misery. Then Ribeiro can finally shave off that goofy neck beard of his... :lol:

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 14, 2008 8:26 am

Glad you MISSED the wink at the end of the post.

While it can and has been done the magic 8-ball says the odd are not good.

I'd go as far as say they are piss poor and both of these series are over.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Wed May 14, 2008 8:30 am

I didn't miss anything, I'm LOL'ing at your wink/joke. :wink: I got it, really.

I think it's great that the cup final will be with the two clearly best teams overall. No fluke teams made it to the end.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed May 14, 2008 8:54 am

Agreed, it doesn't happen often enough. The Wings have always been my favorite team, bit the Penguins have always been second, I'm really excited to watch the final - and as of last week I'll be able to watch every game in HD too! :D

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Wed May 14, 2008 9:27 am

drfish wrote:
The Wings have always been my favorite team, but the Penguins have always been second

Me too! Since the days of Francis, SuperMario, and Jagr. This latest Penguins team reminds me of those glory years.
Mario is my favorite player of all time - I think if he never got sick, he would be regarded as the best player ever. period.

drfish wrote:
I'm really excited to watch the final - and as of last week I'll be able to watch every game in HD too! :D

Doh, WOW doesn't offer Versus in HD :( The NHL NEEDS to somehow get back on ESPN. Hopefully the SC Finals will all be on network TV.

Hockey in HD is so wonderful. :P

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu May 15, 2008 6:55 am

Man last night pissed me off. Disallowed one goal when holmstrom wasn't in the crease, then allowed Ribiero's when he WAS. The wings had their chance through, and their inability to clear the slot out (READ: HEY TRY HITTING SOMEONE) was awful. They need to finish checks and shoot the puck. They did not play their puck possession game last night, at all.

Wings in 5.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 15, 2008 7:06 am

pete_roth wrote:
Man last night pissed me off. Disallowed one goal when holmstrom wasn't in the crease, then allowed Ribiero's when he WAS. The wings had their chance through, and their inability to clear the slot out (READ: HEY TRY HITTING SOMEONE) was awful. They need to finish checks and shoot the puck. They did not play their puck possession game last night, at all.

Wings in 5.

ummm you are allowed to be in the crease now. You just cannot enter before the puck and you cannot touch the goalie. Which Holmstrom clearly didn't. Very bad call.

However it was bound to happen. 9 straight games is a pretty amazing feet in the modern game. Rather they get it out of there system when it doesn't matter and before the finals.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu May 15, 2008 8:02 am

z-man wrote:
pete_roth wrote:

Wings in 5.

ummm you are allowed to be in the crease now. You just cannot enter before the puck and you cannot touch the goalie. Which Holmstrom clearly didn't. Very bad call.

However it was bound to happen. 9 straight games is a pretty amazing feet in the modern game. Rather they get it out of there system when it doesn't matter and before the finals.

Right my point is Ribiero WAS in the crease before the puck, VERY clearly so. So they gave them a disallowed goal, and took one from us. That should be a reviewable play at all times.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 15, 2008 8:55 am

pete_roth wrote:
Right my point is Ribiero WAS in the crease before the puck, VERY clearly so. So they gave them a disallowed goal, and took one from us. That should be a reviewable play at all times.

Wasn't arguing that, still they didn't play a great game. But I would rather see a game like this when they are up 3 - 0. Then when it really matters. This should set them right again that they aren't invincible and we should see a better game 5. Doesn't hurt it is at home either.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Thu May 15, 2008 9:02 am

Yeah, that pissed me off last night. That goal should have counted.
Then they showed a replay of an earlier goal in the series where Homer WAS in the crease and it counted.
Homer's reputation and/or refs desire to make up for the earlier allowed goal is probably the reason.
Agreed 100% that these plays should be reviewed.

Oh well. Not complaining here. Game 5 will be in HD (for me - I dont get Versus in HD) on NBC Saturday 1:30pm. 8)

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon May 19, 2008 9:28 pm

w00t.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon May 19, 2008 9:34 pm

OH YES! The only bad news is that the tickets for Pens game 3 start at like $500 bucks. I can't afford that ****.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue May 20, 2008 7:42 am

pete_roth wrote:
OH YES! The only bad news is that the tickets for Pens game 3 start at like $500 bucks. I can't afford that ****.

I recently read something about how loads of 'guins fans are buying up all the remaining tickets at the Joe.

Saturday!!! 8) STANLEY CUP FINALS HOCKEY!!! :D

Wonder if Mr. Mule will be back?

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue May 20, 2008 8:15 am

Pittsburgh fans are nuts, they'll pay out the ass for tickets to anything. I'd love to go to either venue but I simply lack the funds. My take on the series:

Experience: Clearly the wings, and in every category. This penguins team is by and large a young team. The wings have been here many times before and have a great mix of experience and youth.

Goaltending: Wings again. Both of their goaltenders have won it all with this club. Fleury has been great, and will have to be great to give the Pens a chance.

Offense: Wings, slight edge. This comes with the caveat that the Mule gets healthy, otherwise I say it's a wash. Both clubs have extremely gifted offenses featuring finesse players, crease crashers, and defenseman that can cycle at will. If detroit plays hungry and plays puck posession, I don't see it going past 5 games. If the penguins can gain neutral ice without much adieu, then it's going to be a shootout. The top 5 goal scorers and points getter all feature players from Detroit and Pittsburgh except one lone Flyer. The pens and wings PP units have been great but fizzled a bit last round.

Defense: Both teams have played great defense, with their losses coming in very close games. They both have storied defensemen with tons of experience and grit, not too mention a few Norris trophies. Lidstrom and Rafalski have been a force, but Gonchar and Orpik have been great too. The team that gets their D involved in the offense will have a much better chance.

X-Factor: Both teams have players that can dance with the puck and turn a nothing play into a something. Both teams have the best goalie in the playoffs. Both teams have stifling shutdown defenses and great forechecks. The team that forces their tempo and their style will prevail. These are two incredibly well matched teams (not to mention my two favorites) and this is a dream come true. I'm rooting for the Wings and taking them in 6. I'm really torn, I'm a home-towner for the most part and recently it's really hard for me to hate on the Pens, but I can't jump on their bandwagon, especially when my team is this good.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue May 20, 2008 8:40 am

pete_roth wrote:
...this is a dream come true.

My thoughts exactly, it's going to be on heck of a final. I can't wait for Saturday! :D

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue May 20, 2008 8:48 am

Sorry Redwing boys, as a lifelong Blackhawk fan I just can't root for your team

YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue May 20, 2008 9:12 am

idchafee wrote:
Sorry Redwing boys, as a lifelong Blackhawk fan I just can't root for your team

[img]lame bird

Your best days are ahead. Toews and Kane are awesome. They need to anchor them with some talent and goal tending.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed May 21, 2008 7:11 am

I talked to my GF and she wants to buy me playoff tickets for game 3. The rational part of me says, "hey, we can't afford these" - however the part of me that wants to see 19,000 pens fan pee their pants kept his mouth shut. Here's to hoping, they go on sale at 10am.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Wed May 21, 2008 8:22 am

pete_roth wrote:
I talked to my GF and she wants to buy me playoff tickets for game 3. The rational part of me says, "hey, we can't afford these" - however the part of me that wants to see 19,000 pens fan pee their pants kept his mouth shut. Here's to hoping, they go on sale at 10am.

I'm jealous and excited for you. You may not really have the extra cash to spare. But....
It's the Red WIngs and Penguins playing for the Stanley Cup, across the street from you. Dude. :o
I say you'll just have to deal with being broke afterwards. Your girls sounds like a keeper BTW. :wink:

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed May 21, 2008 8:29 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
pete_roth wrote:

I'm jealous and excited for you. You may not really have the extra cash to spare. But....
It's the Red WIngs and Penguins playing for the Stanley Cup, across the street from you. Dude. :o
I say you'll just have to deal with being broke afterwards. Your girls sounds like a keeper BTW. :wink:

Hehe I hope she is, so far, very good! (hope you're not reading this :wink:) but I don't live across the street from the arena, I moved a few miles away, about 3. I could still jog to the arena if I wanted though :D I'm actually close in triangulation to all 3 stadiums now, which was clearly my motivation for moving. I think I can live on Ramen for a month to afford this haha!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri May 23, 2008 7:10 am

I cam into the office with Wings vinyl rub-ons all over my employee swipe card (we wear them on lanyards) and my wings hoodie. I've been yelling go wings at every employee sporting Pens gear.

Also, http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2 ... id=3408283

Woo!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri May 23, 2008 11:53 am

Wholly's in the strip is refusing to sell ANY Detroit native an octopus. I live in the strip (L-ville) and if I had the money for tickets and some 8 legged goodness, I know I could get one. In fact, I think I may post a craigslist for this.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri May 23, 2008 12:01 pm

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri May 23, 2008 12:15 pm

You rock, Pete! :D

LETS GO RED WINGS 8)

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat May 24, 2008 10:08 am

YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 24, 2008 10:16 am

I would love to **** on bettemans face. Seriously, this guy is an jerk. Al has been doing that for as long as I've been watching the redwings I think, what a douche. If he can't twirl it, at least let him go out and pick it up. We let the panthers throw hundreds of rats on the ice. Remember that?

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Sat May 24, 2008 4:02 pm

This made me :lol:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/nhl_ex ... =nhl,84200

It was great watching the fans eat it at the end.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat May 24, 2008 9:55 pm

Should have been 5-0 but F what ya heard. Al twirled him some octopussy and the wings demolished those dead birds. Franzen comes back next game too I believe. What a dominant forecheck, hitting game, puck possession, goal-tending ESPECIALLY early on, man Ozzy was amazing. If MAF hadn't given up it could have stayed 2-0.

SAMUELSSOWNED!!!

The only reason I don't want a sweep is cuz I want this to last forever. I love playoff hockey!!!!!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun May 25, 2008 9:02 am

Anyone who wants the sig i'm using just link it from my site or save to your own. Working with limited room I got the joe, pavel, hank, lidstrom, ozzy, an angry looking squid.... think that's it. If I had tons of room I'd throw in the mule for good measure :D