Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Can't decide which clubs to get

Thu May 15, 2008 9:39 am

So I'm getting new golf clubs with my tax return, but I can't decide which ones to get. Here's the list in no particular order.....

Cleveland CG Red

Taylor Made r7 CGB Max

Ping i10

Callaway X-20

So if any of you TR golfers have any input....it would be appreciated.

TBH I'm leaning towards the Taylor Made set. I like the feel I got from them at the store. The Pings are a close second.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

computron9000
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Can't decide which clubs to get

Fri May 16, 2008 11:34 pm

I like the X-20s, but if you feel most confident with the Taylormades, why not go with those? Club preference is mostly subjective/feel/look-preference at the higher-end spectrum. The individual benefits and how they apply to you would require swing analysis.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 17, 2008 12:24 am

It's been about 3 years since I've held brand new clubs in a Pro-shop, so I'm very behind on the latest models. But I've always liked holding Taylor Made's, and just holding them gives me a real good feeling. And looking. Bar none, I think Taylor Made's are the nicest looking clubs out there.

Never been a fan of Ping. Don't know why.

Callaway to me has always felt like a one-hit wonder. They made it big with the Big Bertha and family, but haven't seem to be able to duplicate that release.

From my own pure biased opinion having never held any of these new clubs, go with the Taylor Mades.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

computron9000

Sat May 17, 2008 1:05 am

Also, fwiw, the new TaylorMade Burner TI 460 drivers are top notch. I prefer them over the $200 more expensive Callaway FT-5s. In part, due to a longer, lighter shaft.

Graphite/metal shafts and/or flex/firm is a good question based on your swing... that will have dramatically more impact on the results than just switching brands.

Also, are you going to pick up ancillary clubs like lob wedge, A wedge, etc.? It starts to add cost, so that may be a factor?

emi25
Gerbil XP

Sat May 17, 2008 2:51 am

Can I ask something ? What is soo interesting to play golf ? I never understand that game.

sluggo
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 17, 2008 5:33 am

emi25 wrote:
Can I ask something ? What is soo interesting to play golf ? I never understand that game.

Do you like to take walks outside? That's what golf is.

It's also a good way to get exercise and hang out with your friends when you get to the age where rugby is no longer an option. Not to say that only old people enjoy it, just that it's a good way to walk 8 kilometers and not be bored out of your mind.

Plus you get to curse inanimate objects and smoke cigars. But mostly it's just about being outside.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action - Goethe

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 17, 2008 9:49 am

If you base your choice purely on how each set feels to you, then you've basically answered your own question - Taylor Made. Why get Clevelands or Callaways when Taylor Mades feel right?

If Ping is a tight second, try to hit both again, or if TM has a definite upper hand, go for it!
Twitter: @xmunos

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 17, 2008 10:09 am

If you choose your clubs based on how they look...I think you're doing it wrong. IANAG

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 17, 2008 10:13 am

Alex wrote:
If you base your choice purely on how each set feels to you, then you've basically answered your own question - Taylor Made. Why get Clevelands or Callaways when Taylor Mades feel right?

If Ping is a tight second, try to hit both again, or if TM has a definite upper hand, go for it!

I haven't hit any of the clubs mentioned, so I was looking for some feedback from anyone who has.

Went to Golf Town this morning and hit all of them. I can say for sure that Callaway and Cleveland, are out of the running. As Sargent Duck said about Callaway, they do feel like a 1 hit wonder club. If you hit them just slightly off you really feel it in grips. That would be good if I hit the ball like a pro, but I don't. The Clevelands were't bad except for the lie of the club. They are way too upright for me. To get them fitted for my 5'9" frame I would have to pay another $200.....so they're out of the running. The r7's are just a tad too long, but nothing I should worry about. The toe of the club sits up about 1/4" from flat. That's not going to make any big difference for me.

There's a new club in the mix now too. The Nike Slingshot 4D. They feel really nice. I think they actually feel better than the Pings. I also get 1 free fitting for the 4D's, so I won't have to worry about the lie.These are on sale to boot. I think I'll go again tomorrow and hit both the r7's and the 4D's and make my decision tomorrow. I'm sure I'll like which ever I get as anything will be better than the old Alien DS9 irons.

I'll let you all know what I decide on. :)
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 17, 2008 10:20 am

emi25 wrote:

Tell me where else its socially acceptable to drink beer, get drunk, drive while drunk, curse loudly and throw stuff at trees and have all this considered "normal"?

Lol. To be more serious, there are many different reasons golfers play. Probably first and foremost is that its a social game. You get to spend 4 hours with your buddies drinking while having a good time. For me, I enjoy the walk. Walking that length would bore me to tears normally but add in a few swings here and there, makes it interesting. It also helps me to exercise as I carry my clubs.

And it is also the most challenging and rewarding. In just about every other sport, you play against someone else, or a team. In golf there is only one person you ever play against, and that's yourself. And that's the challenging part. It's also the most rewarding. Sure, you can score the game winning goal in a hockey game or make that super slam dunk, but those pale in comparison when you sink that 35 foot putt, or nail that 325 yard-straight-as-an-arrow drive or pull off an amazing shot that only Tiger could do. Those shots are what makes golf.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sat May 17, 2008 11:11 am

I have a set of Taylor Made RAC OS that are a couple or three years old and I love them. I hate taylor made drivers but love their irons.

gerbilspy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 17, 2008 11:31 am

Whatever brand you buy, I suggest that you get them professionally fitted to your swing. Off the shelf clubs rarely "fit". A professional will analyze your body style, swing, and ball striking and order up clubs that take into account your characteristics and make ball striking "easier".

Please forgive this post if you already knew this. When I got my first set of customized clubs it really helped my game. It was easier to hit the ball properly, and the game became even more fun when my scores improved. I went from shooting low 90's to low 80's in one summer! I actually break 80 quite often, but have still never shot par. My best so far is 2 over. There is a 200 yd up hill par 3 that I can't seem to conquer! I hit the ball in the sweet spot much more often instead of out on the toe like I used to do before the new set. THAT made the game a blast! Confidence is more than half of the game!

Of course now that my belly has expanded and changed my swing I either need to lose weight or get my clubs adjusted. :) I'm having trouble hitting my irons flush... and my scores have shot up --- I bought my Titeleists 10 years and 30 lbs. ago.

I simply must find a way to avoid the 19th hole for a while! Beer and hotwings are bad for your game!
Not retired anymore

computron9000

Sat May 17, 2008 8:04 pm

JJCDAD wrote:
If you choose your clubs based on how they look...I think you're doing it wrong. IANAG

That's why you don't understand... you don't golf. It has an effect on your comfort swinging it. Some people (myself included) don't like the way certain club heads look (too shiny, strange head shape, color, etc.). I particularly hate the trend towards shiny-chrome look on everything. The sound the clubs make also has an impact. Golf swings are very complex and good golfers tend to like certain equipment appearance. I don't like certain brands of golf balls because I don't like how their logos look when I'm staring at the ball before I swing.

Lets say your favorite color is black and you like the look of carbon fiber. If two sets hit nearly the same, would you prefer the ones with black carbon fiber backs that look cool, or the goofy chrome with red swooshes on it? Just an example.

Click the links in the OP to the Cleveland irons and the Callaway X20s. I hate how the Cleveland irons look at address.

I googled for a review to get an example of other people that think the same in terms of preferring certain appearances:

"I think the X-20s are the best looking X series irons from Callaway. At address it looks a little chunky on the top but then my X-14s are too so I'm used to it. "

"They look great and the weighting is good but there seems to be so little feel. The sound when you hit the ball is a bit clunky as well. "

"Club face feels very solid with good spring off the face. Good trajectory and distance without feeling like you have to try to muscle the ball. A very understated classic look to the club/shaft combo as well. Even has a very cool head cover"

As far as why golfing, the one thing no one above mentioned (aside from the acceptability of drinking, cussing, throwing things, driving drunk, etc.) is that most nicer golf courses are scenically better than almost any park. Immaculately landscaped, private area for you and your group, to hang out. And usually they are quiet and extremely peaceful and relaxing. It's also pretty satisfying to be able to hit a ball from a hundred or more yards away and land it right where you want (sense of accomplishment).

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Agreed. The first thing I look at with clubs is how aesthetically pleasing they are to me. If you don't like the way they look, then you won't feel comfortable swinging them.

Before I bought my current irons I had a chance to try out a set of Ping Zing irons. I hated the stupid wing on the top of the toe, and that turned me off them completely. I only hit 1 ball with them and then gave it back.
-Unknown Veteran

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 17, 2008 9:57 pm

The look of the clubs is very important. Much like a car, if you hate the look of your car, chances are good you're not gonna enjoy it to the fullest. For example, I absolutely hate the look of Porshe. Sure, I'd enjoy driving it, but I could never enjoy it to the fullest just because I don't like the styling. Golf clubs are the same. If you despise looking at your clubs, you're not gonna enjoy taking them out of the bag and hitting them.

Golf is funny like that.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat May 17, 2008 10:03 pm

We had a ping demo rig at our club a month ago and a lot of guys bought em...a couple got the I -10's and a couple got the Raptures...i tried hitting them at the demo and i think i drove the guy nuts :lol: Nobody hits a 9 iron that far he says...so he fitted me with a set of the I-10's and i hit the 9 iron 165 :lol: Had a really funky feel to them tho..and i passed. One fella loves his..and another hits them worse than he did his Calloways. Im with Hance..i love my RAC's..i had mine tuned and splined as well. Make sure you lease a set for 6 months before you buy...once you lay down the greenbacks the ugly game returns :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat May 17, 2008 10:08 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
The look of the clubs is very important. Much like a car, if you hate the look of your car, chances are good you're not gonna enjoy it to the fullest. For example, I absolutely hate the look of Porshe. Sure, I'd enjoy driving it, but I could never enjoy it to the fullest just because I don't like the styling. Golf clubs are the same. If you despise looking at your clubs, you're not gonna enjoy taking them out of the bag and hitting them.

Golf is funny like that.

Bah...a club is a club AFAIC...it really makes a difference having them tuned to your swing..2 degrees one way or another makes a noticeable difference in how you strike the ball and the end results can be rather dramatic. I could really care less about looks as long as i like the way they feel and react. As far as tech has come the last 5 yrs or so...any club maker should be able to provide the most avid sandbagger with the necy tools to wow the locals :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

computron9000

Sat May 17, 2008 11:22 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
As far as tech has come the last 5 yrs or so...any club maker should be able to provide the most avid sandbagger with the necy tools to wow the locals :lol:

I agree. That's why it comes down to appearance and feel/comfort. Unless a gravity welled cavity back weight shifted moment of inertia impact flux capacitor modulated dichromium power wings iron is better than one with everything the same but ultra wings instead of power wings. Unless you're a pro, the biggest impacts are shaft flex, custom fitting, and appearance (in that order).

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon May 19, 2008 3:54 pm

Well I think I'm sold on the Nike Slingshots. I took a demo set out today and shot a 90. Not bad considering it was very windy, cold, and raining (7 celcius when I teed off, hit a high of about 12 celcius at noon :o ). I found them easy to hit and they just felt comfortable. So I think Imma go out on Friday and buy these puppies.
-Unknown Veteran

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon May 19, 2008 6:23 pm

A 90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jebus Christo...you better hone up on your game son...that just positively sucks :lol:

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2008 3:44 am

LicketySplit wrote:
A 90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jebus Christo...you better hone up on your game son...that just positively sucks :lol:

I know, but here's some things to consider..........

1) The conditions were very bad (hence my comment about them)
2) My first round of the year, and I wasn't using my own clubs
3) Battling the end of a strep throat infection
4) Not everyone has all the time to get out every day like you old farts. Some of us have full time jobs. :lol: :wink:

yes I know you're joking around, but I'm not going to let you have the last word :wink:
-Unknown Veteran

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue May 20, 2008 8:07 am

Hoser wrote:

4) Not everyone has all the time to get out every day like you old farts. Some of us have full time jobs. :lol: :wink:

yes I know you're joking around, but I'm not going to let you have the last word :wink:

But i do have a full time job...fleecing HAWT dogs like you on the course every day :lol:

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Tue May 20, 2008 8:54 pm

Hoser wrote:
LicketySplit wrote:

1) The conditions were very bad (hence my comment about them)
2) My first round of the year, and I wasn't using my own clubs
3) Battling the end of a strep throat infection

Hoser you need to go play with the old fart and see how bad he rapes you. I can tell you one thing for an absolute fact. YOU CANT WIN :wink:

monts
Gerbil Jedi
Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

Wed May 21, 2008 6:28 am

I found that the important part is getting them set for you body. When I got my current set of irons i was able to get them .75" longer, and getting the new wedges (last years birthday present) with the same extra length. Its made a lot of difference as I rarely give the ball a headache by topping it. I still manage to screw up plenty of shots but there are plenty of reasons for that.

Just wondering what sort of handicaps people around here play off. I play off 19 at them moment, although I hope to get that down by a couple of shots this year. It would help if I played more that once a week tho.
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.
Cricket and AFL (Fremantle Dockers) tragic.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri May 30, 2008 10:07 pm

I think I made the right decision on these clubs. I shot a 78 today at this course. Lots of short par 4's helped the cause a bit. 3 of those I was on the green in 1. Gotta love 270 yard par 4's. :D
-Unknown Veteran

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri May 30, 2008 10:56 pm

monts wrote:
Just wondering what sort of handicaps people around here play off. I play off 19 at them moment, although I hope to get that down by a couple of shots this year. It would help if I played more that once a week tho.

I'm not sure what my handicap is, but I usually shoot in the mid 80's with the odd low 90 and high 70 in the mix.
-Unknown Veteran

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri May 30, 2008 11:07 pm

Hoser wrote:
I think I made the right decision on these clubs. I shot a 78 today at this course. Lots of short par 4's helped the cause a bit. 3 of those I was on the green in 1. Gotta love 270 yard par 4's. :D

270 yd par fours are not for the faint of heart :lol: We have one par 3 thats 260 and another thats 210...the shortest par 4 we have is 400...ooops...380. Your first mistake was buying the clubs...you know you should have leased them(read borrow) not buy....now when you get in the groove and revert back...you will scratch your head and say..."Golf...wtf is that?"

Love ya man....just had to vent :wink:

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 31, 2008 9:32 am

What's the course you sandbag play at again? :lol:
-Unknown Veteran