Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

LicketySplit
Gerbil God
Topic Author

NFL Commish says rookies are paid too much

Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:16 pm

Yup...and i think im going to have to agree. Whats wrong with proving your worth..and it shouldnt only be rookies signing a contract. I wonder how Upshaw and the Union will deal with this? Joe six gets 50k a year..and no guarantees on squat. Why are these atheletes specail? Makes you wonder why you cant take your family to more than one game a year without breaking the bank :roll:

http://sports.myway.com/news/06272008/v7799.html
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: NFL Commish says rookies are paid too much

Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:19 pm

the main arguement against that is that Joe Six has an average career length a hell of a lot longer than 2-4 years

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_is_t ... NFL_career
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:18 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Yup...and i think im going to have to agree. Whats wrong with proving your worth..and it shouldnt only be rookies signing a contract. I wonder how Upshaw and the Union will deal with this? Joe six gets 50k a year..and no guarantees on squat. Why are these atheletes specail? Makes you wonder why you cant take your family to more than one game a year without breaking the bank :roll:

http://sports.myway.com/news/06272008/v7799.html

Yea right... Every team in the NFL makes a mint. They have the salary cap so all the big market teams can't out spend everyone (the niners in the 80's). You (and I) pay what we pay because owners want to charge that. A lot of the cap is the tv deal. When it comes to ticket prices a lot of times teams break even if you would have taken out the tv deal. NFL careers are to short. I don't like hold outs but it's the only way you make sure you get your worth. If they guarantee contracts you will see all these huge deals cut in half.
"StarCraft 2 will release when it's ready." - Blizzard

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:22 pm

Nelliesboo wrote:
Yea right... Every team in the NFL makes a mint. They have the salary cap so all the big market teams can't out spend everyone (the niners in the 80's). You (and I) pay what we pay because owners want to charge that. A lot of the cap is the tv deal. When it comes to ticket prices a lot of times teams break even if you would have taken out the tv deal. NFL careers are to short. I don't like hold outs but it's the only way you make sure you get your worth. If they guarantee contracts you will see all these huge deals cut in half.

Actually most NFL teams only make about 30 million a year. Considering they are valued at about 1 billion, that is a terrible return on investment (of course it is just about garunteed, you would have to be the stupidest owner in the world to lose money with an NFL team).

Also the salary cap includes a "salary bottom" that makes sure teams spend a certain amount of money so you don't have teams like the Marlins or Royals.

As for rookie contracts, only the top 10 picks are really over payed. The rest of the first round is about right, and every player that ends up starting after the first round is under payed.