Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

College football or bust!

Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:57 am

So yeah. Is anyone looking forward to the beginning of the season? I definitely am.

We got tickets to the Hawaii game tomorrow, so that should be alot of fun. Sitting (?!?!) on the Alumni section is going to be weird though. Fortunately it's still going to be a hot day tomorrow, so the environment should be quite swamp-like.

Go Gators!

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Re: College football or bust!

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:50 am

I have tickets to the LSU game tomorrow. It might get canceled, though. If that hurricane keeps coming this way, New Orleans will be in the middle of another huge evacuation and I'm sure having 200K people on the LSU campus is not going to be such a hot idea. Looking forward to the game if they still have it.
I wish I had gone to med school.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:51 am

Death Valley ftw!
<Big SEC fan (except Auburn)>

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:46 am

I keep reading how Illinois is going to challenge for a BCS Bowl. If that's the case, its only because the rest of the Big Ten blows. I can't remember Big Ten football being so overall bad. Even our good teams (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State) aren't very good.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:48 am

idchafee wrote:
I keep reading how Illinois is going to challenge for a BCS Bowl. If that's the case, its only because the rest of the Big Ten blows. I can't remember Big Ten football being so overall bad. Even our good teams (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State) aren't very good.

When's Joe Pat going to retire?

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:48 am

idchafee wrote:

Hey! Iowa sucks too! :P

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
When's JoePa going to retire?
About one full season after Bobby Bowden drops dead. Those two are trying to outlast each other for the record.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:10 pm

idchafee wrote:
FWIW (not a lot, really) Mandel at SI has Illinois as his flop team. (If you go to the previous page you'll see most of their "experts" have two Big 10 teams -- Ohio State and Wisconsin -- in the BCS mix; that's no worse than the Big 12 and better than the SEC or Pac 10. But, if recent seasons have taught us anything, it's that at the end of August nobody knows anything. Especially the experts.)

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:26 pm

Go Huskers!
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:31 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
When's JoePa going to retire?
About one full season after Bobby Bowden drops dead. Those two are trying to outlast each other for the record.

He passed him this weekend in most wins. FSU had a by-week and they're not going to do as well this season as Penn is.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:30 pm

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:13 pm

I listened to ESPN College Gameday on the radio while I painted the fence today. Good thing I wasn't taking a drink every time they mentioned Tim Tebow, or I'd be face down on the ground.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:08 pm

idchafee wrote:
I listened to ESPN College Gameday on the radio while I painted the fence today. Good thing I wasn't taking a drink every time they mentioned Tim Tebow, or I'd be face down on the ground.

In all fairness, they were at UF for the game.

SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Ahhh.... I heart you, college football. It's good having you back.
///_-)

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:56 pm

idchafee wrote:
Tim Tebow, the Michael Phelps of college football.

SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:08 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Tim Tebow, the Michael Phelps of college football.

There's not much that I disagree with when you have something to say... but this one, I take exception.

Tim Tebow is no Michael Phelps. Tebow is great as a dual threat QB... but Michael Phelps is out of this world for what he's done. :wink:
///_-)

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:25 pm

Tim Tebow will never be more than a backup in the NFL.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:50 pm

SnowboardingTobi wrote:
Tim Tebow is no Michael Phelps. Tebow is great as a dual threat QB... but Michael Phelps is out of this world for what he's done. :wink:
Sorry, I meant in terms of media exposure. I didn't watch NBC much during the Olympics (the CBC coverage was vastly better) but it seemed whenever I tuned in during the first week I found not any actual competition but Bob Costas saying roughly "Michael Phelps Michael Phelps Michael Phelps 'Baltimore Bullet' Michael Phelps interview Michael Phelps' mother Michael Phelps swimming Michael Phelps Michael Phelps women's gymnastics Michael Phelps Michael Phelps Michael Phelps and a bunch of other random sports and competitors we're not going to talk about because that would leave us less time to talk about Michael Phelps."

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:38 am

I'm really glad football season is here, even if my Buckeyes are gonna get wrecked by USC if/when we play like we did against OU.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:56 am

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=14434
CBS Sports to Stream Entire 2008 SEC Football Schedule on CBSSports.com
Gainesville, FL - Wednesday September 10, 2008

CBS Sports, the exclusive national over-the-air broadcaster of Southeastern Conference home football games, will stream its entire 2008 SEC college football schedule live on CBSSports.com. This includes Florida’s showdown with Tennessee in Knoxville on September 20th at 3:30pm EDT. All games will be streamed free of charge.

"In keeping with CBS's vision of using multiple platforms to better serve our viewers no matter where they are, we are pleased with the cooperation of the SEC to be able to stream all of our SEC ON CBS games this season," said Mike Aresco, Executive Vice President, Programming, CBS Sports.

"We're excited to give fans the ability to watch live college football for free on CBSSports.com from one of the most competitive conferences in the country," said Jason Kint, Senior Vice President and General Manager, CBSSports.com. "As we've already seen with the huge success of March Madness on Demand, one of our main goals is to give fans without access to a TV the ability to view as many of the first-class productions of CBS Sports as possible, either on the Internet or via wireless devices, allowing them to enjoy the thrill of live sporting events."

"The Southeastern Conference is pleased that CBS will be able to stream our games live on the internet this season," said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. "We look forward to using this technology, giving our fans the ability to view CBS Sports' telecasts live on the internet."

A total of 17 SEC contests will be streamed live and free of charge on CBSSports.com concluding with the SEC Championship Game featuring the Eastern and Western Division champions on Saturday, Dec. 6 (4:00 PM, ET). The games are available exclusively on CBSSports.com and can also be accessed through a link on the websites of all CBS affiliates.

In August, CBS Sports and the SEC reached an historic 15-year contract extension with the Southeastern Conference to broadcast its football and basketball games beginning with the 2009-10 season. In addition to broadcast rights, the new deal includes digital, internet, wireless, video- on-demand and enhanced highlight rights across all CBS Sports properties.

Awesome. SEC football FTW!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:03 pm

5 of the top 10 teams are SEC teams? Interesting.
1. USC
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. Missouri
6. LSU
7. Texas
8. Wisconsin
9. Alabama
10. Auburn

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Anyone see Charlie crying after the ND/MSU game? "They ran the ball against us 39 times"

Yeah that's because it worked dumbass. 200+ yds. You can bet this will be the strategy that every team will use against them for the rest of the season.

It's also funny that NBC (who paid out the butt for ND broadcast rights) was heavily promoting this game. With how bad they have sucked over the last several years, I think they were really hoping that ND had turned it around. At least Michigan is going through a rebuilding year, ND has been rebuilding for what 3 years now.

Looks like OSU may be in trouble as well.

Big 10 football is not what it used to be. :(

Although I will be at a Mich game in November vs Northwestern I think.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:35 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
5 of the top 10 teams are SEC teams? Interesting.
1. USC
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. Missouri
6. LSU
7. Texas
8. Wisconsin
9. Alabama
10. Auburn

polls dont mean much this early.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:52 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
Big 10 football is not what it used to be. :(

Nope. We're a basketball conference now. :-?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:55 pm

No, they don't.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex
AP ranking, week 4 wrote:
AP Top 25
1. USC (62) 2-0
2. Oklahoma 3-0
3. Georgia (2) 4-0
4. Florida (1) 3-0
5. LSU 3-0
6. Missouri 4-0
7. Texas 3-0
8. Alabama 4-0
9. Wisconsin 3-0
10. Texas Tech 4-0
11. Brigham Young 4-0
12. Penn State 4-0
13. South Florida 4-0
14. Ohio State 3-1
15. Auburn 3-1
16. Wake Forest 3-0
17. Utah 4-0
18. Kansas 3-1
19. Boise State 3-0
20. Clemson 3-1
21. Vanderbilt 4-0 :o
22. Illinois 2-1
23. East Carolina 3-1
24. TCU 4-0
25. Fresno State 2-1

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:34 am

They put Ohio State over Auburn? That's a bunch of bull.

The LSU/Auburn game was quite good.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:57 am

Did anyone else watch Georgia get hammered by Alabama?

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:15 am

idchafee wrote:
Did anyone else watch Georgia get hammered by Alabama?

I caught some of it, but I was happier to see Florida lose to an unranked Ole Miss. That ought to make the unsufferable UF fans down here a lot more tolerable for a few weeks.
Hey, anyone can have a bad century! 1907 & 1908 World Champions.
AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE
My two favorite football teams: Ohio State and whoever plays Michigan!

SlyFerret
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:29 am

It's going to be interesting to see the rankings now, after the shakeups this weekend.

-SF
"Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you would not have been notified."

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:33 am

idchafee wrote:

Too bad they got beat down by PSU last night. :lol:

PS, I went to PSU.

I also think the BCS is bullcrap. Theres teams with losses ahead of teams that are undefeated. Don't give me that strength of schedule garbage either. And basically having to run the score up against bad teams. Rather than doing that, why not allow teams to play their freshman and guys that aren't as good just so they get to play. This isn't the pros here. If you're up by 35pts in the middle of the 3rd, let your backups play so they can get some experience. I think it would avoid Matt Cassell's of the world from tainting the NFL. I don't think Cassell is TERRIBLE, but he never started a game in college. If he was able to maybe play a few quarters you could get a better picture of who he is as a QB. Instead they left Leinart and Palmer in to run the score up when they played.