Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Baseball & world history help needed

Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:30 am

OK, so most of you know I work in a school district. Now that the Cubs have clinched, one of the prinicpals thinks it might be fun to try to incorporate the Cubs into his "fact of that day" announcement every morning over the PA. So, I need a list of things that have happened since the Cubs last World Series win in 1908. Here is what I have so far:

The automobile (Model T indroduced October 1, 1908)
radio and TV
14 teams were added to Major League Baseball
Haley's comet passed Earth, twice
NBA, NHL and NFL were formed, and Chicago teams won championships in each league
The US fought in two world wars, the Korean War, Vietnam War and two Gulf Wars
Man landed on the moon
Sixteen US presidents
Eleven amendments added to the Constitution
Wrigley Field built and becomes the oldest park in the National League
A combination of 44 Summer and Winter Olympics have been held
The Cubs played more than 15,000 regular-season games,
Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma and New Mexico were admitted to the Union
Communism
The United Nations

Any help would be appreciated
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: Baseball & world history help needed

Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:40 am

idchafee wrote:
The automobile (Model T indroduced October 1, 1908)
Not exactly the first car. Not even the first practical one. It's more a feat of manufacturing, really. By 1908 the world land speed record was up over 125 mph, actually, obtained by a steam-powered car. Now it stands at 760. The air speed record was under 50mph and is now well over 2000 mph for manned air-breathing craft that take off and land "normally". It also hasn't changed in over 30 years.
idchafee wrote:
radio and TV
Radio also predates 1908 by several years.
idchafee wrote:
The US fought in two world wars, the Korean War, Vietnam War and two Gulf Wars
You could add plenty of other conflicts if you wanted to.
idchafee wrote:
Man landed on the moon
Or DID he?!?! ;)
idchafee wrote:
Communism
The Communist Manifesto was published in 1848. The Bolsheviks were organized and active by 1908 as well.
idchafee wrote:
The United Nations
and the league of nations too.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:49 am

mattsteg wrote:
Not exactly the first car. Not even the first practical one. It's more a feat of manufacturing, really.

Eh, it was the 1st car available to the average person. And if I call it "the assembly line" I'll blow their poor little minds.

mattsteg wrote:
Radio also predates 1908 by several years.

Again, I'm going by the 1st public use of it, which according to Wikipedia was 1920.

mattsteg wrote:
You could add plenty of other conflicts if you wanted to.

I was looking for ones that I'm hoping a group of K-6 kids would recognize.

mattsteg wrote:
Communism

OK, how about "the Rise to Power of Communism?"

mattsteg wrote:
and the league of nations too.

Hell, I'm hoping these kids know what WWI is. I'm thinking the League of Nations is totally over their head, and I don't have time in a 5 minute "fact of the day" announcement to explain it to them.

The goal of this is to give the kids an idea of what life for them would have been like in 1908.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:58 am

technically Oklahoma became a state in 1907.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:20 am

idchafee wrote:
The goal of this is to give the kids an idea of what life for them would have been like in 1908.

Why not look up something like those birthday fact sheets (if you were born in this year), that list relative cost of things? milk, gas(if applicable), etc.

A quick glance didn't find anything, but there has to be something out there.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:25 am

It's an exercise in futility, as there's still alot of baseball to be played and plenty of series for the Cubs to choke on before the WS. ;)

edit: to contribute to the concept, though, Germany was split into two and reunited since then. IIRC it was split into two after the last one the Cubs played in too.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:33 am

Here's some crap that happened back then from Wiki....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1908

January
January 11: Grand Canyon designated as a monument, and later, in 1919, becomes a National Park.
January 11: Grand Canyon designated as a monument, and later, in 1919, becomes a National Park.
January 24: Boy Scout movement.
January 24: Boy Scout movement.

* January 1
o British Harry Bensley leaves for his would-be trip around the world pushing a pram and wearing an iron mask, beginning from the Trafalgar Square
o A ball signifying New Year's Day drops in New York City's Times Square for the first time.
* January 11 - Grand Canyon National Monument is designated (becomes a National Park in February 1919).
* January 12 - A long-distance radio message is sent from the Eiffel Tower for the first time.
* January 13 - 170 people were trapped in the Rhoads Opera House in Boyertown, Pennsylvania, and burned to death. The tragedy would be a catalyst for stricter fire safety laws nationwide.
* January 15 - Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, the first Greek-letter organization by and for black college women is established.
* January 21 - New York City passes a law, the Sullivan Ordinance, making it illegal for women to smoke in public, only to be vetoed by the mayor.
* January 24 - Robert Baden-Powell begins the Boy Scout movement.

[edit] February

* February 1 - King Carlos I of Portugal and Infante Luis Filipe are shot dead in Lisbon.
* February 3 - Greek multisport club Panathinaikos is founded.
* February 11 - Australia regains The Ashes with a 308 run cricket victory over England.
* February 12
o Start of the first around-the-world car race, the 1908 New York to Paris Race.
o De Meester's Dutch government leaves office.
* February 18 - Japanese immigration to the USA is forbidden.
* February 25 - Los Angeles. The Bible Institute of Los Angeles (now Biola University) founded.

[edit] March

* March 4 - The Collinwood School Fire, Collinwood near Cleveland, Ohio, kills 174 people.
* March 7 - The University of British Columbia is established by the British Columbia University Act.
* March 9 - Internazionale Football Club founded in Milan, Italy.
* March 21 - Frenchman Henri Farman pilots the first passenger flight.
* March 25 - Clube Atlético Mineiro founded in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
* March 27 - First overseas Scout Troop formed in Gibraltar.

[edit] April

* April 8 - Harvard University votes to establish Harvard Business School.
* April 19 - The Garfield Park Conservatory in Chicago, designed by Jens Jensen, opens to the public for the first time.
* April 20 - Sunshine train disaster in Melbourne,Australia. Two trains collide killing 44 people and injuring more than 400 (over 100 seriously).[1]
* April 21 - Frederick Cook's claimed date to have reached North Pole
* April 24 - The seventh deadliest tornado in U.S. history strikes the towns of Amite, Louisiana, Pine, Louisiana and Purvis, Mississippi, killing 143 people and injuring 770.
* April 27 - The opening ceremony of the London Olympics is held.

[edit] May

* May 10 - Mother's Day is observed for the first time (Andrew's Methodist Church in Grafton, West Virginia).
* May 24 - Empire Day is accepted as the traditional formation date of the 1st Arundel (Earl of Arundel's) Own Scout Group, although Scouting was probably active in Arundel prior to this date.
* May 26 - At Masjid-al-Salaman in southwest Persia, the first major commercial oil discovery in the Middle East is made. The rights to the resource are quickly acquired by the United Kingdom.

[edit] June
Evidence of the Tunguska event (June 30). Photo taken 19 years later.
Evidence of the Tunguska event (June 30). Photo taken 19 years later.

* June 18 - The University of the Philippines System is founded.
* June 20 - The Georgia Tech Alumni Association is chartered in Atlanta, Georgia.
* June 30 - The Tunguska event, also known as the "Russian explosion" occurs near the Podkamennaya Tunguska River in Krasnoyarsk Krai, Siberia, Russian Empire.

[edit] July

* July 3 - Young Turk Revolution in the Ottoman Empire: Major Ahmed Niyazi, with 200 followers (Ottoman troops and civilians), begins open revolution by defecting from the 3rd Army Corps in Macedonia, decamping into the hill country.
* July 6 - Robert Peary sets sail for the North Pole.
* July 11-12 night - Steamship Amalthea, housing 80 British strikebreakers while in Malmö harbour, Sweden, bombed by Anton Nilson. 1 dead, 20 injured.
* July 19 - Feyenoord Rotterdam football club founded.
* July 22 - Automobile manufacturing company Fisher Body founded.
* July 23 - Young Turk Revolution: The Committee of Union and Progress (CUP) issues a formal ultimatum to Sultan Abdul Hamid II to restore the constitution of 1876, within the Ottoman Empire.
* July 24 - Young Turk Revolution: Abdul Hamid II announces the restoration of the Ottoman Empire's constitution.
* July 24 - Dorando Pietri wins the Olympic marathon in London in one of the most dramatic arrivals of the Olympic history, only to be disqualified soon afterwards.
* July 26 - United States Attorney General Charles Joseph Bonaparte issues an order to immediately staff the Office of the Chief Examiner (later renamed the Federal Bureau of Investigation).

[edit] August

* August 24 - After an intense power struggle, Abd al-Aziz IV, sultan of Morocco is deposed and is succeeded by his brother Abd al-Hafiz. (Date of proclamation)
* August 31 - Charter granted for Wayland Literary and Technical Institute in Plainview, Texas, now Wayland Baptist University.

[edit] September

* September 8 - Danish minister of Justice, Peter Adler Alberti, is revealed to be an embezzler.
* September 16 - William C. Durant founds the company which will eventually become General Motors.
* September 17 - At Ft Myer, Virginia, Thomas Selfridge becomes the first person to die in an airplane crash. The pilot, Orville Wright, is severely injured in the crash but recovers.
* September 23 - The University of Alberta is founded in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
* September 27 - Henry Ford produces his first Model T automobile.

[edit] October

* October 5 - Bulgaria declares its independence from the Ottoman Empire - Ferdinand I of Bulgaria becomes Tsar
* October 6 - The Bosnian Crisis begins after the Austro-Hungarian Empire annexed Bosnia and Herzegovina.
* October 13 - The Church of the Nazarene is organised officially at Pilot Point, Texas as the Pentecostal Church of the Nazarene. This is the official "birthday" of the denomination.

[edit] November

* November 3 - William Howard Taft defeats William Jennings Bryan in the U.S. presidential election
* November 6 - Western bandits Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid are supposedly killed in Bolivia, after being surrounded by a large group of soldiers. There are many rumors to the contrary however, and their grave sites are unmarked.
* November 13 - Andrew Fisher becomes the 5th Prime Minister of Australia.
* November 14 - Elizabeth Garrett Anderson is the first woman in England to be elected mayor (of Aldeburgh)
* November 24 - The first credit union in the United States begins operation in Manchester, New Hampshire.
* November 29 - Iraklis Thessaloniki, the historic Greek sports club is founded, named after the mythical Greek hero Hercules.

[edit] December

* December 2 - Child Emperor Pu Yi ascends the Chinese throne at the age of two.
* December 28 - A 7 Richter scale earthquake destroys Messina, Sicily and rocks Calabria killing over 75,000 people.

[edit] Undated

* British suffragettes begin a campaign for female suffrage.
* Due to the evidence collected by Roger Casement, Léopold II of Belgium is forced to make reforms in Congo, which is his personal colony.
* The Children's Encyclopedia is first published.
* Bureau of Investigation, forerunner of the FBI, is founded.
* Blackball, New Zealand coal miners strike for 11 weeks, an important step in the formation of the New Zealand Labour Party.
* Henri Matisse opens his own art academy.
* A 40,000-year-old Neanderthal boy skeleton is found at Le Moustier in southwest France.
* The Child Labour Act of Ontario is passed.
* The Irish Universities Act, 1908 is passed and creates the National University of Ireland at Dublin and the Queen's University of Belfast.
* First Ideal Home Exhibition held.
* The Manila Business School was made into national school since the majority of its student came from different parts of the Philippines; renaming as the Philippine School of Commerce; which later to be the Polytechnic University of the Philippines.
* The University of the Philippines is founded at Manila.
* First year of rugby league in Australia.
* American Temperance University closes.
* Club Union becomes Chivas de Guadalajara.
* Vimto is invented by John Noel Nichols. Originally sold under the name Vimtonic, Nichols shortened it to Vimto in 1912.

Ongoing

* Black Patch Tobacco Wars

"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark