Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Suspended 6 games for what???

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:33 pm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD94SQRU83

Seems kind of lame. I thought Burress only got 4 games for shooting himself.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Suspended 6 games for what???

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:28 pm

Think of it more as a lifetime achievement award. He's been a raging tool for a very long time.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:44 pm

Avery has been making a sideshow of every team he's been on. That doesn't really contribute to the suspension, but he does have several suspensions under his belt as well, so that probably increased the suspension.

According to reports I've heard because he used the term 'sloppy seconds' is the reason for the suspension. Because it is a premeditated inappropriate act (he did call all the reporters in the dressing room over to him to make the statement after all), and the act itself is referencing sexual imagery that isn't really appropriate, or even called for, without any sort of prompting from anyone it seems.

If he'd not been a repeat offender or had the reputation he does then I'm betting there wouldn't have been nearly the reaction there has been. Still good riddance, he's nothing but a stupid clown now, which is too bad because he's actually got some skill on the ice.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:09 pm

He ran his mouth and his comments may appear distasteful to some. He represents his team and the NHL while he is in front of the cameras. You want to talk ****, do it on the ice like everyone else, diva-bitch.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:10 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
Avery has been making a sideshow of every team he's been on. That doesn't really contribute to the suspension, but he does have several suspensions under his belt as well, so that probably increased the suspension.
Can you name any other suspension that he's had? My bet is no.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:41 pm

You people need to stop bitching - the guy has brought more attention to hockey in general in the last year (since they created that rule just for him in the playoffs last spring) than anything else. :p

One question, though - given the traditional definition (as one dude getting it on with a lady of the night after she'd had intercourse earlier in the same night), does that mean that he porked Elisha Cuthbert earlier that day?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:48 pm

Overblown in my opinion.
I think the Stars should have handled it themselves more then Bettman making a show.
Pronger can go around bashing heads in like a madman and gets like 3 games, Avery gets 6 for words.
I agree though it was bad. It was more the way he went about doing it more then what he actually said.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:11 am

@mattsteg: I stand corrected. Not suspensions but rather a couple of different fines for behavior, sorry. The point remains that previous infractions are probably what caused harsher punishment this time around. Anyone else and it would probably have been less of a big deal, leading to very little repercussions. I still think he's a dick though. I don't think the attention he's brought to the game has been beneficial at all. I don't think people need to act in such a way in any sport. If I made a public statement about someone else I worked with along the lines of what some professional athletes are saying now a days, even if not under the same employer I would be reprimanded as well. I don't see why athletes are any different. It is their job after all...shouldn't they be held to standards of professionalism?

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:50 pm

I remember when Hockey was a man's sport.

Now no fighting, no "foul" language, no tv coverage. :roll:

I've heard Baseball/Basketball/Football players make as bad or worse comments.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark