Dungy Done

Tech Report Fantasy Sports League and general sports discussion.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Dungy Done

Postposted on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:54 pm

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009011 ... 3/90112023

Seems Peyton's latest choke is sending Dungy to the bench.

It's a shame they bring up Dungy being black a lot, it distracts from the fact the he's a damn good coach without race needing to be dragged about.

He should come to Detroit :)
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Who could they replace him with? He's a damn good coach.
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
 
Posts: 12262
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:47 am
Location: a regular hole

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Did you even read that article?

1) He's retiring, not getting fired. Article says he's been considering this for several seasons.
2) The article mentions that he's black only once, saying "highlighted by him becoming the first black coach to win a Super Bowl". There's nothing being dragged about in that, and, in fact, is quite an accomplishment to be proud of.
Intel i7 860, Asus P7P55D Pro, 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9), EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked
Seagate 7200.7 160GB, WD Caviar Black 640GB, WD Caviar Green 1TB, WD Caviar Green 2TB
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
emorgoch
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:26 am
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:43 pm

emorgoch wrote:
1) He's retiring, not getting fired. Article says he's been considering this for several seasons.

Never said he was being fired.
2) The article mentions that he's black only once, saying "highlighted by him becoming the first black coach to win a Super Bowl". There's nothing being dragged about in that, and, in fact, is quite an accomplishment to be proud of.

It's been mentioned repeatedly throughout his career. Watch on of his games sometime.

Do a google search Dungy/Black.
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:03 pm

As a Colts fan, I respect Dungy, but I'm glad to see him go. The team needs a different attitude, unfortunately I don't think Caldwell will bring much change. Run offense and defense will continue to be the Achilles Heel of this team until they get some size up front on both lines.
5150
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2388
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:22 pm
Location: Sales Tax Is For Commies

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:35 am

Sorry to see him go...he really is a CLASS act. Truely a fine human being IMOHO.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
LicketySplit
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24535
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Soap Lake, Wa

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:35 am

5150 wrote:As a Colts fan, I respect Dungy, but I'm glad to see him go. The team needs a different attitude, unfortunately I don't think Caldwell will bring much change. Run offense and defense will continue to be the Achilles Heel of this team until they get some size up front on both lines.

Yeah, they're such losers. They never make the playoffs. Manning is a huge failure, never reaching the Super Bowl, much less win it. Dungy is a perennial loser that can never even get them above .500.

OK, really, just WTF are you thinking? "not bring much change" is the absolute best thing that could happen to that team in this situation.

I think he's just come to the conclusion that he's ridden the football train as far as he feels he needs to and he wants to do something else with his life. I congratulate him on being in a position that he can just do that.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21403
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Go out while he's still near the top, that's the way to do it. I like him alot as a person, and he's a good coach, to boot.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 21315
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm thinking it's all downhill from here for the Colts. Losing a good coach and I think Manning has peaked.
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:52 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:Yeah, they're such losers. They never make the playoffs. Manning is a huge failure, never reaching the Super Bowl, much less win it. Dungy is a perennial loser that can never even get them above .500.

OK, really, just WTF are you thinking? "not bring much change" is the absolute best thing that could happen to that team in this situation.

I think he's just come to the conclusion that he's ridden the football train as far as he feels he needs to and he wants to do something else with his life. I congratulate him on being in a position that he can just do that.


Making the playoffs means nothing if you lose in the first round or your first game every year. When you consistently win 12 games each year you should have a better post season record than 7-5 with that team. Subtract the Super Bowl season and you're talking about 3-5 in the post season. Additionally, Tony Dungy did not bring Peyton Manning to the Colts, instead he was already there when Dungry arrived. This team does need the change because losing in the first playoff game is simply not much of an accomplishment no matter how well you do in the regular season each year. Legends are decided in the post season.

Tony Dungy is a great man, a tremendous man, maybe one of the best men to ever grace the NFL. He deserves to go in the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. I actually do think he is a great coach and I think the Colts need a change in attitude and not exactly on field coaching. I'm simply stating though that your list really ignores some of the cold hard facts about the Dungy Colts.

With that said if Bill Belichick coached Manning they'd have five Super Bowl rings. :x

PRIME1 wrote:I'm thinking it's all downhill from here for the Colts. Losing a good coach and I think Manning has peaked.


That guy who just won MVP? That guy who has had six years in a row with a 95 or better passer rating? That guy who relies more on his intelligence than his arm? No, you don't peak if you're Peyton Manning. You play, play, play, play and prove that you are the greatest quarterback, on intelligence alone, to ever play the game.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:37 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:44 pm

If you subtract the Super Bowl season, you have 3-5, sure, but doesn't that mean that they made it past the first round a minimum of twice? The only way you win 3 playoff games in one season without winning the Super Bowl is to be a 3-or-lower seed and win your conference, which they didn't do.

edit: Yeah, seems they made it past the first round two other times, so 3 out of 6 seasons: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/

Given your "Warner should win SBMVP and get the credit he deserves!" argument, plus this, your memory is like a sieve. It's easy to look up stuff before you post (although I did look this up after the fact) so you don't look so damn stupid.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21403
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:26 pm

First round was to represent the first game they played. If you lose that game or the first one you play time after time, which the Colts have done, then you're doing something very wrong in those seasons. The Colts under Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy have been past the first round/first game the same amount of times New England has won the Super Bowl. There are great coaches and then their are legendary coaches, and Tony Dungy qualifies more towards the low end of great. He has had talent his entire tenure with the Colts. He's had one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play, a Hall of Fame receiver, then a running back who was putting up Hall of Fame numbers (Edge), and then a running back for a few years was great all around. Yet he has one Super Bowl win, which was carried on the luck of the defense showing up for the post season when it hadn't that entire year. Going into that post season many said it was the worst Colts team to make it to the play offs.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:37 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:33 pm

You say that as if the Patriots (since you brought up Belichick) won with a bunch of nobodies. One Super Bowl win is one more than Lovie Smith, Andy Reed, Mike Tomlin, and a whole bunch of other coaches with winning teams have. Hell, it's more rings than the Cardinals, Oilers/Titans, the current incarnation of the Browns, Texans, Jaguars, and Saints have COMBINED. I'm pretty sure you could add another franchise or two that never won a Super Bowl to that list. It's also one more than Jim Kelly got with the Bills. I don't know what you expect.

edit: It's also not Dungy's fault that Manning (who uses his brain, allegedly) has 17 playoff INT in 15 games, including FOUR in the 2004 AFC championship game against the Patriots.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21403
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:17 pm

Andy Reed is a bad coach, this is rather well known, or do you need a reminding of how many passing plays he calls when Brian Westbrook is in his back field and the horrible clock management. Next you'll be arguing that Brad Childress deserves to keep his job. Mike Tomlin hasn't been around long and had a great team dropped in his lap. Lovie Smith isn't exactly astounding in keeping the Bears in great shape either. Being a "winning" coach in the regular season means absolute jack. You must win in the post season, the post season is where legends are made.

Manning manages the Colts offense unlike any quarterback to ever play. He still would have a hard time being suggested as the greatest of all time simply because he doesn't do well when it matters. You give Manning two more births to the Super Bowl and then find me a football fan outside of New England who wouldn't vote Manning over Brady, as of now though this would most likely split. Or for crying out loud the stupid talk of "Eli > Peyton" at the start of this season, wonder why that came up...

Again, I said Dungy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. However you contended that a change of attitude and pace wasn't need when it clearly is. The team simply doesn't get it done when it matters most.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:37 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:36 am

And I gave examples as to why it's not Dungy's fault. He didn't throw those INT's. Manning, if your worship is to be believed, is beyond coaching...he's so smart nobody could possibly teach him anything. He gets at least part of the blame. If he'd won two Super Bowls, you'd be kissing the ground he walks on. Pretty hypocritical. A change in "attitude" doesn't win games. Scoring more points than the other team does, and I don't believe for a second that there's a player out there that doesn't want to win.

Heck, even this year, the game they lost went into OT against a Chargers team that was every bit as hot as Indy was the last chunk of the season. It's not like they're going in there and getting blown out. Dungy is the franchise's winning-est coach. I don't see how you can be glad he's gone.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21403
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Dungy Done

Postposted on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:57 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:Heck, even this year, the game they lost went into OT against a Chargers team that was every bit as hot as Indy was the last chunk of the season. It's not like they're going in there and getting blown out. Dungy is the franchise's winning-est coach. I don't see how you can be glad he's gone.


It's because he's had arguably the best franchise for the past 5-6 seasons and has one Super Bowl ring to show for it. This team should freakin dominate every year in the playoffs but they can't because they lack what is needed to win in the playoffs, a run game and a run stopping defense. The one year they actually won the Super Bowl is when they had these things. Dungy has the mindset that he is just going to keep doing what he does, well it doesn't get very good results. He thinks things are just going to magically get better. Look at their damn special teams, the Colts have had one of the worst special teams for the past five years. But do you think about changing coaches? Hell no! If you're Dungy, you stick with what you got, which is commendable to a point, but there's a time to realize that things aren't getting better and I don't know if Tony knew how to do that.

One side note, Caldwell's first act as coach was releasing Russ Pernnell, their special teams coach. Maybe I'll like Caldwell more than I thought.
5150
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2388
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:22 pm
Location: Sales Tax Is For Commies


Return to TR Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests