US Pond Hockey Championship

Tech Report Fantasy Sports League and general sports discussion.

Moderator: Captain Ned

US Pond Hockey Championship

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:08 pm

January 23-25 in Minneapolis. I wish my ankles would let me skate, as this looks like fun.

http://www.uspondhockey.com/tournament/rules.php
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Re: US Pond Hockey Championship

Postposted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:24 pm

Just out of curiosity, why are slapshots against the rules?
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... back to you with the weather, Bob!
computron9000
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:35 am

Pond hockey. Man, that takes me back to my childhood. Games against some town too small to have a rink, out on some hunk of ice with bullrushes sticking through it. Changing in a shed up on blocks on the ice, heated by an old oil drum full of burning wood. Having the game called because it's dropped below -20 or the wind has picked up and the ground blizzard was making it impossible to see the lines.
computron9000 wrote:Just out of curiosity, why are slapshots against the rules?
Well, if I had to guess: natural ice is uneven ice, and that tends to send fast-moving pucks airborne unpredictably. It might be a safety issue. They didn't allow us to use slapshots either, but then we were like seven years old.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:31 am

If I'm going to gear up and take the time to go somewhere to play hockey (as someone who has never played), I would demand the satisfaction of getting to hit a slapshot at a goalie.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... back to you with the weather, Bob!
computron9000

Postposted on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:09 am

computron9000 wrote:If I'm going to gear up and take the time to go somewhere to play hockey (as someone who has never played), I would demand the satisfaction of getting to hit a slapshot at a goalie.

No goalies in this event, either.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:45 am

Oh, well, I guess that makes more sense. That would be a lot of fun.
computron9000

Postposted on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:55 am

computron9000 wrote:Just out of curiosity, why are slapshots against the rules?

Pond hockey only requires you to wear a helmet, gloves and shin pads for protection.......that's all. Slapshots would injure most people if they took one in the chest without protection. There's also no protection for anyone watching the game. There's no boards or glass.....you're on a pond. If a shot got tipped and went out of play.....there would be blood and missing teeth.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Location: In a lab playing with germs, or waking people up at 6am so I can stick a needle in them

Postposted on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:07 am

Pond hockey play is generally more laid back, too. Competition takes a back seat to fun, and it isn't fun when people are getting hurt.
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Return to TR Sports