Green Bay (Cheese) Packers
3 (7%)

Total votes: 43

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Superbowl!

Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Ok...so the officials killed them..if you remember correctly the momemtum changed drastically after one particular call...so screw the officials..it was preordained IMOHO :wink:

yeah, it was ROFLsberger's rushing "touchdown" that really hosed them.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:16 pm

mattsteg wrote:
ssidbroadcast wrote:
Mods, how come some of my posts don't get published? What is the deal?

I wrote a post saying yeah, the officials made bad calls, but there was one early-game call that was TOTAL FAIL/OBVIOUSLY PRO-STEELERS. Pass interference?! My a$$!
Maybe someone else posted while you were composing and you didn't notice the resulting confirmation screen.

I've done this a thousand times. I wish I could turn the feature off.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Uh oh pete, looks like this isn't going to be the cake walk all you Steeler fans were hoping for.

I hope the Cardinals pour it on in the second half. There's a lot more talent on the team than people give them credit for.

edit - guess I should have waited for the half to end first. :oops:
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:01 pm

If it wasn't for bad luck the Cardinals wouldn't have any luck at all.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Man, pete is the entire reason I'm rooting for AZ. If the Stillerz win tonight and I'm going to have to avoid this place for a while. :lol:

edit: And Springstein sucks. Time to retire, dude.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:10 pm

Considering the stadium venue, the E street band sounds pretty good on my home theater system.

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:21 pm

I'm no Springsteen fan, but that was a pretty good half time show.
Hey, anyone can have a bad century! 1907 & 1908 World Champions.
AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE
My two favorite football teams: Ohio State and whoever plays Michigan!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:27 pm

my 6 year old asked me why Mr. Magorium was singing on the football field
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:40 pm

The band rocked. They made Springstein sound even worse than if he'd been singing a capella.

My wife said she'd like to see me out there and do better. I say that relativity isn't the point; he's either good or he isn't. Her response was that he was good for being 60, and again it's only relative. After that she conceded that he needs to go. :lol:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:52 pm

2½ minutes to play, ball on your own 12-yard line, down by 3... Who do you want as your quarterback? Not Roethlisberger. Of course, this is against Arizona's defense, so you never know.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:10 pm

yeah, you never know. :(

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:11 pm

That wasn't a fumble, but oh well. Good games refs. (Yes, I am going to whine like every Seattle football fan ever)

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:12 pm

God damn refs! THAT WAS A FORWARD PASS! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Plus, wtg super-biased commentators. :-?

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:15 pm

The officiating was awful, just awful. Almost as bad as the half time show.

Worst Superbowl in years. :evil:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:18 pm

Roethlisberger is now officially the worst quarterback to ever win two Superbowls.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:06 pm

I think the Steelers will win, but it will be close.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:03 am

To JAE are you even watching the NFL anymore? With that game winning TD, he has 18 late game winning drives. I don't think I want ANYONE other than Ben in those gut check situations. He showed again he's amazing. You guys calling out the refs can eat one. The better team won, period. It was the most exciting game I've watched in years and at a few points I had thought we were going to lose. Now, instead, you will get to hear my preach the wonders and joys of the GREATEST FOOTBALL AND CITY ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

PS. If you live in and or around Oakland, they are tear gassing us. AAAAAH THE SIX PACK BITCHES, DRINK IT UP!!!!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:12 am

Hoser wrote:
Uh oh pete, looks like this isn't going to be the cake walk all you Steeler fans were hoping for.

I hope the Cardinals pour it on in the second half. There's a lot more talent on the team than people give them credit for.

edit - guess I should have waited for the half to end first. :oops:

Certainly. Warner and Fitzgerald were amazing. Their run defense was really decent, much better than most of "us" thought would be. The city is insane right now, I am going to bed. I guarantee that if they don't hold a parade as they said they won't, we'll make our own. They have most major exits from the highways shut down, there are wrecks and **** everywhere. Took me 2 hours to drive ~25 miles, hoking and towels in tow the entire way. GOOD NIGHT! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PS look for a 6pack inspired signature to last a few months bare minimum. I love you guys. Even the haters.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:42 am

6 rings, bitches! Suck on that San Francisco and Dallas. Especially you Dallas.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:55 am

Officiating was pro Steelers...again. Did you see Harrison punch the kicker on the ground towards the end? That was as crappy a no call as ive ever seen. The guy should be kicked out of football. Az outplayed them in the second half and the refs still gave it to Pitt :roll:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:26 am

yeah, i'm with Lickety. I'm still not convinced of the touchdown at the end of the half, either. And that "fumble" at the end should have been reviewed. It's too bad everyone feels compelled to give the MVP to someone on the winning team.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:27 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
2½ minutes to play, ball on your own 12-yard line, down by 3... Who do you want as your quarterback? Not Roethlisberger. Of course, this is against Arizona's defense, so you never know.
Your Benhate is rather bizarre. Say what you will, but the guy has 18 4th quarter game-winning drives as per the TV commentators (19 if you prefer wikipedia's list) in a pretty short career. The guy runs teams that win (.725 career winning pct) and win in the playoffs (7-2, 2 superbowl wins). Yes, he benefits from being in a good position and isn't always the most consistent, but he's got a rather extensive history of getting it done in the clutch.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:33 am

LicketySplit wrote:
Officiating was pro Steelers...again. Did you see Harrison punch the kicker on the ground towards the end? That was as crappy a no call as ive ever seen. The guy should be kicked out of football. Az outplayed them in the second half and the refs still gave it to Pitt :roll:

Yeah, I have no idea what that was about, it wasn't just a punch. He hit him, the guy was down practically turtled, and then he shoved him a few more times. I don't have any doubt that it will be looked at, and at the very least he'll be fined. I do believe he was penalized on the play though, was he not? I'll chalk it up to being an emotional, close game.

If AZ outplayed us, they would have won. Ben threw that last pass into what amounted to triple coverage and where only Holmes could make the play. It was fantastic. I haven't had so many ups and downs in a game, thrilling! I think the Parade is back on, if it is it'll be like 5 minute from my apartment so I'll be sure to snap some pics :D

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:03 am

It was a good game..but biased and im not the only one who sees that. Big Ben played a good game..its a shame in the title game they dont let them play. In 2008 the average for holding in a game was 1.65 calls..and thats for both teams. Last nite the Cards had 3 and the Steelers 1 :o

They shouldnt only look at the punches by Harrison...the league should make flagrant calls/personal foul penalties auto ejections AFAIK..and one that bad should be booted for life.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:07 am

LicketySplit wrote:

Arizona averaged something like 48yds in penalties a game....until the Superbowl where they went over 100.

At one point they had 96yds in penalties and Pittsburgh had 15. :roll:

A bunch of non-reviewable "personal foul" calls. Notice that Arizona also had to challenge 2 plays (which they won).

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:14 am

The umps did a very poor job. I personally don't think that his right foot hit turf on that last TD, but rather just the back of his left foot. And to end the game on a poor call that wasn't even reviewed? Huge letdown. They did a disservice to the entire NFL.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:29 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The umps did a very poor job. I personally don't think that his right foot hit turf on that last TD, but rather just the back of his left foot. And to end the game on a poor call that wasn't even reviewed? Huge letdown. They did a disservice to the entire NFL.

MVP.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The umps did a very poor job. I personally don't think that his right foot hit turf on that last TD, but rather just the back of his left foot.
That statement begs one question: did you even watch the game? The replay was about as clear as can possibly be.
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
And to end the game on a poor call that wasn't even reviewed? Huge letdown.
Poor call? They got it right! How is that poor? As far as it not being reviewed, the booth people who would call for a review probably saw the review and saw that they'd gotten it right - Warner's arm was hit and the ball shifted before the throwing motion started. If you feel that it was a pass and not a fumble, then what you're disagreeing with is more the rule itself than the officials' application of it.
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
They did a disservice to the entire NFL.
How?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

The play was reviewed. I distinctly heard Al Michaels refer to a review in the replay booth that found that while Warner's arm was moving, he did not have control of the ball at the time. You have to have both for it to be an incomplete forward pass.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28971640/
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:46 am

Holmes made a great catch. Harrison should have been ejected. Kurt Warner's arm was CLEARLY in the motion of a pass and he had control, every possible view shows this.

The officiating was poor. The game was great. But I honestly don't see this going down in history as great as the media and NFL are trying to make out. The real reason it is such a big deal is because the last two Pittsburgh Super Bowl games have had sub par penalty calling. Would it have made a difference? Hard to tell, but at the VERY LEAST a review at the end and a explanation of the rule would have eliminated many of these issues.