Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Alex Roid-riguez

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:25 am

Skrying wrote:
idchafee wrote:
I would if Griffey was. I think he's clean.

I had totally forgot about Griffey. Oh how he has fallen. He's a 100% Hall of Famer but man... at some point every kid I knew, baseball fan or not, had his poster in their room. Seems so long ago.

He still has over 600 home runs. If he's been clean for his whole career, seems like even a better accomplishment than say Mcguire's 70 or Bonds' 762 or Sosa.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 am

With Ortiz, I'm a little surprised. I figured the Sox had just rescued him and gave him a chance to play every day. Bummer.

I'd also be surprised if Griffey or Albert showed up positive. If not for spending the first few years in Cincinatti injured so much, he'd be ahead of Bonds in total HR.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:24 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
seems like even a better accomplishment than say Mcguire's 70

I think McGuire is getting a really bad rap. From what I understand, he never took anything that wasn't banned by the league. What he took was called Androstenedione. At the time it was not a banned substance by MLB because it was not a steroid. What he did was legal. It was banned after it came out that he was using it. I remember watching an interview with him in front of his locker and you could see the bottle right behind him. If he was using a banned substance, I don't think he'd be stupid enough to keep it right in front of the cameras. He also wasn't banned or given any suspension when they found out, they just told him to stop using it and he did. He proceeded to hit 65 homers the next year.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Hoser wrote:
I think McGuire is getting a really bad rap. From what I understand, he never took anything that wasn't banned by the league. What he took was called Androstenedione. At the time it was not a banned substance by MLB because it was not a steroid. What he did was legal. It was banned after it came out that he was using it. I remember watching an interview with him in front of his locker and you could see the bottle right behind him. If he was using a banned substance, I don't think he'd be stupid enough to keep it right in front of the cameras. He also wasn't banned or given any suspension when they found out, they just told him to stop using it and he did. He proceeded to hit 65 homers the next year.

If Jose Canseco is to be believed (and I think at this point, after he's been proved right so often that I have to at least give him the benefit of the doubt), McGwire was shooting **** into his ass from back in the late 80's.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Skrying wrote:
idchafee wrote:
I would if Griffey was. I think he's clean.

I had totally forgot about Griffey. Oh how he has fallen. He's a 100% Hall of Famer but man... at some point every kid I knew, baseball fan or not, had his poster in their room. Seems so long ago.

Agreed. Griffey for me was my role model and superstar as a kid. I think at least for baseball, in recent times he has really been the 'model athlete' more so than most other players. I looked up at wanted to be him. I don't think he ever took steroids. Maybe its my bias that I have, but I just can't see that kind of guy taking them. And I did have a Griffey poster in my room. And a huge collection of his baseball cards.

If only the later part of his career wasn't consistently injury stricken, just imagine what he could have accomplished.