Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Re: NBA playoffs finals picks

Thu May 21, 2009 4:54 pm

Orlando deserved to win the game. They outplayed Cleveland and wouldnt it be neat to see a Orlando/Denver final? Im up for it and hope it happens. Kobe sucks canal water..while he may be good he tainted himself with the Colorado incident and forever spoiled him in my eyes :wink:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Obsidian
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 22, 2009 5:29 pm

I think a Denver vs Orlando match-up would absolutely terrible. I want to see the Magic beat the Cavs but I really want to see Kobe vs Lebron so I'm kind of torn there. Even with the Nuggets playing so well I think Kobe will come through when they need him and show everyone the difference between him and Carmelo.
Intel [email protected] w/ Xigmatek HDT-S1283|Sapphire HD 4850 512MB|G.Skill Pi Black 4GB DDR2 800|Gigabyte EP45-DS3L|WD SE16 640GB|Antec Neo Power 500|Antec Nine Hundred|Dell S2209W|Logitech G9|Sidewinder X6|Razer Exactmat|Klipsch ProMedia 2.1|Windows 7 64

MethylONE
Gerbil XP

Fri May 22, 2009 6:09 pm

All four teams have similar shots at the title right now. The Magic have the best record against the Lakers 2-0 and Cavs 3-1 this season.

I'm a Magic fan so I'm a little biased of course but I like their chances.
License to kill gophers.

BKA
Gerbil XP

Fri May 22, 2009 6:30 pm

Obsidian wrote:
I think a Denver vs Orlando match-up would absolutely terrible. I want to see the Magic beat the Cavs but I really want to see Kobe vs Lebron so I'm kind of torn there. Even with the Nuggets playing so well I think Kobe will come through when they need him and show everyone the difference between him and Carmelo.

Why would a Denver vs Orlando series be terrible? I think any combination would be a good series. It definetly won't be a sweep like last year's finals.

I still stick with my picks of Denver vs Cleveland in the Finals. I want Orlando to win, but I just don't see them pulling it out in the end. We shall see.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 22, 2009 10:44 pm

Amazing ending!

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 22, 2009 10:57 pm

Skrying wrote:
Amazing ending!

+1...awesome.

I'm not a Lebron worshiper like most of the commentators, but it's nice to see him really starting to hit the "big" shots.

BKA
Gerbil XP

Fri May 22, 2009 11:24 pm

Yes, that was a classic.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 23, 2009 7:57 pm

The more I watch the Lakers-Nuggets the more I want the Nuggets to win. Melo has really stepped up his game, he has made the leap. Also, just going by how Denver is playing I think Cleveland vs Denver would be better.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat May 23, 2009 8:38 pm

Why would you say cleveland after the last second shot by Lebron? They were up by 23 and should have lost the game :roll: Orlando is a good ball club...Cleveland being down 2 zip headed to Florida woulda been a bad thing. Good series so far. Rashard is making all the difference afaic...go Magic :lol: :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 23, 2009 9:15 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Why would you say cleveland after the last second shot by Lebron? They were up by 23 and should have lost the game :roll: Orlando is a good ball club...Cleveland being down 2 zip headed to Florida woulda been a bad thing. Good series so far. Rashard is making all the difference afaic...go Magic :lol: :lol:

Because no one on the Magic is that fun to watch. No one is a true star and can take over the game. Kobe, LeBron, and Melo all can. Howard? No, he's a "star" center with no post moves. Hedo and Rashard? Nope.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat May 23, 2009 9:51 pm

Pffffffft...Rashard is a great player and hasnt got the exposure he should have in Seattle...great shooter and defender IMOHO. We shall see wont we :wink:

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Wed May 27, 2009 9:14 am

So who thinks the Cavs are likely to win 3 more games?

Not me, especially. LeBron had a great game (well, except for 7 turnovers) but like Skyring said, the 3 point shooters from Orlando were lighting it up again.

BKA
Gerbil XP

Wed May 27, 2009 9:26 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
So who thinks the Cavs are likely to win 3 more games?

Not me, especially. LeBron had a great game (well, except for 7 turnovers) but like Skyring said, the 3 point shooters from Orlando were lighting it up again.

Well, I thought at the start of the series they would. I figured Orlando has good team basketball but they also live by the jumpshot and I figured they would die by the jumpshot. I wanted Orlando to win I just didn't think they would. Way to prove me wrong. I think someone commented earlier that Orlando has no "All-Star". Well, this looks like Howards coming out party. He nailed those free-throws last night and proved to me he can be just as good if not better than Shaq as his career goes on. Orlando reminds me of the Pistons team that won a few years back. A team with 5 great players but no All-Stars, guess that beats an All-Star with 4 so-so players.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 27, 2009 2:55 pm

I used the term "true star" for a reason. "All-stars" are common. Dwight Howard right now is slightly above "all-star" player. Someone who clearly has the physical ability but only shows flashes of being able to be a dominating force. Orlando is winning because they have a much better team than Cleveland. To win a championship you need a true star and another great player (Jordan/Pippen, Shaq/Kobe, etc) or a team of really good players with a half true star. Orlando is that team with a number of good to really good with a half star, and Cleveland is that team with the brightest star and no one else.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Wed May 27, 2009 3:31 pm

I hope Cleveland loses so I don't have to hear about "King James" all the time.

I have never been a fan of 1 man teams anyway (Kobe, Lebron, Jordan, Crosby, Gretzky, etc.)

I can't wait to see the Red Wings stuff the Penguins for just this reason.

I certainly hope it's Denver vs Orlando. I think it will make for a great series without the 1 player distraction.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

MethylONE
Gerbil XP

Wed May 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Watched the game at a small local bar and everyone in the place was going nuts. Bartender, bar back and the cook all stopped working for the last 10 minutes of the game.

One more win! ...and then four more...
License to kill gophers.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Wed May 27, 2009 4:55 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
I have never been a fan of 1 man teams anyway (Kobe, Lebron, Jordan, Crosby, Gretzky, etc.)

I would say the best Bulls teams were not "1 man teams." Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc for example. You know, 72-10 team.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed May 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Skrying wrote:
LicketySplit wrote:

Because no one on the Magic is that fun to watch. No one is a true star and can take over the game. Kobe, LeBron, and Melo all can. Howard? No, he's a "star" center with no post moves. Hedo and Rashard? Nope.

Not team basketball! anything but that!

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Wed May 27, 2009 5:24 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:

I would say the best Bulls teams were not "1 man teams." Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc for example. You know, 72-10 team.

I could see them winning those championships without Rodman, Pippen, etc. No chance without Jordan. True he had a good supporting cast but it was still mainly a 1 man show.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

balzi
Gerbil XP

Wed May 27, 2009 5:44 pm

Seems like some people like the team based thing, others love a star to "take-over". I prefer Lebron's game cause he seems to drag his guys into the game with nice passes (usually) and the selfless stuff. Unfortunately in the 3 losses to Magic, they may have had more chance to win if he didn't.. but then his own shot was sucking mostly aswell.

I think I could have imagined Cleveland winning 3 in a row before the Conf Final series started.. but now that it's Magic 3 - Cavs 1, its a completely different thing. I think they MIGHT win at home, but i doubt they'll win at Orlando again.

If West, Zyd, Mo all step up (and I mean all) they might go well... you can pick the team that wins by the ESPN effectiveness points. Lebron tops the charts every time.. but then the next 4 players are predominantly Magic. heck even a massive game from Gibson or Wallace would even things up, remember 2 of hte losses were close. but alston, Howard, hedo and rashard have all been performing when it counts.

oh well, I wanted to see Lebron v Kobe, but the TEAMs I want to see are Magic v Denver..
I have no allegiance, cause i can't figure out if Australia is in the Eastern or Western Conference - that said I'm a Hawks follower, mainly cause I barrack for Hawthorn in the AFL.
Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"
Bloodnok: "What? what? .. No!!! You haven't returned our lawn-mower yet!?!"

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 27, 2009 5:52 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
I could see them winning those championships without Rodman, Pippen, etc. No chance without Jordan. True he had a good supporting cast but it was still mainly a 1 man show.

Jordan's best statistical seasons were before he had Pippen. Pippen is a top 50 all time basketball player. Could he have won some championships? Probably, but not six in what was effectively in a row. Pippen was honestly a superior defender.

mattsteg wrote:
Not team basketball! anything but that!

Oh no someone likes entertainment! Watching Dwight Howard do power dunk after power dunk isn't entertaining. Also, neither Denver or Orlando are all time caliber teams, they're really good (probably the best overall this season) but you wouldn't even dare put them in a top 10 of this decade! I much rather watch number 1 and 2 in the league go at it. Two players who are already considered in the greatest of all time.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 am

Oh no someone finds a cohesive team entertaining!
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

BKA
Gerbil XP

Fri May 29, 2009 9:57 am

Well, that was one surprising 4th quarter. I guess it wasn't too surprising as I expected Lebron to try and take over. But to get the ball at the top of the circle on every possession in the 4th was crazy to watch. What did Mike brown call that "play", the NAIL. I think they should rename it the HAMMER but whatever. It'll be over in Orlando on Sat. While Cleveland won last night it didn't look like a good victory, even the crowd was on edge until the very last moments of the game, it just felt like Orlando was going to pull it out no matter what Cleveland did. The announcers were correct though, it did remind me of when they beat Detroit back in 07. I was at those home games and watching Lebron take over in the final minutes is amazing but how long can he keep that up?

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 29, 2009 1:20 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Oh no someone finds a cohesive team entertaining!

Cool, but in basketball I rather watch a once in a life time talent than a every year team in the championship. In other sports no one can dominate the game in a way LeBron did last night for Cleveland. You can have the greatest running back ever but if your O-line stinks you're done. In basketball one player can beat a really good team, Orlando wasn't having a bad game last night LeBron was just that amazing.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:25 am

So... Orlando or L.A.

I think L.A. can win but only if they play at a high level. Their play was sometimes mediocre, sometimes bad against Denver. Orlando produces a more constant team play IMO.

So, my wild guess is Orlando in 6 seeing how they handled the Cavs.

BKA
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:38 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
So... Orlando or L.A.

I think L.A. can win but only if they play at a high level. Their play was sometimes mediocre, sometimes bad against Denver. Orlando produces a more constant team play IMO.

So, my wild guess is Orlando in 6 seeing how they handled the Cavs.

I agree, but if it goes to 7 games, I dunno.

Da_Boss
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:46 pm

Anyone else rooting for the Lakers here?I feel like Orlando is looking like the favorite in this series.

Honestly, I think this series is a toss up depending on who can play well. By all accounts, It looks like Kobe will have another outrageous scoring series and will probably average 30+ ppg. This won't mean much, as Gasol will get utterly dominated by Superman. The X-factor in this series will be Bynum, who really was not a factor in each of the Lakers' losses to the Magic in the regular season.

The only thing that can really get the Lakers offensively other than DH is an epic series from Rafer Alston. Derek Fisher has been looking slow on the knees all year and probably won't be able to keep pace with him. Fortunately, he doesn't have Jamir Nelson to content with this time around.

This is how I see the matchpus going:

R. Lewis v. T. Ariza - Due to Ariza's length, quickness, and caliber of defense, don't expect to see Lewis making all the three's he's been making. It should still be a very interesting match-up.

H. Turkoglu v. L. Odom - Same story here. Turk will not be making all the threes he did against Cleveland. That being said, in light of Odom's hurt back, he'll really need to dig deep as Turk can really create his own shot well. This match-up really goes both ways, though. When Odom has the ball in his hand against Turk, good things will happen as Odom is super quick for his size, and Turk is slow as Molasses on D.

D. Howard v. P. Gasol/A. Bynum - Another place where Orlando can really hurt the Lakers, both offensively and defensively. Superman man-handled Gasol in the regular season, and I don't see this changing. But if Gasol/Bynum can slow him down at least on the offensive glass, a lot of the 2nd chance points that Orlando got won't be a factor. Again, Bynum is the ultimate X-factor here.

D. Fisher v. R. Alston - This is Orlando's best opportunity to do some damage IMO. If DF doesn't keep Rafer out the lane, it'll be raining 3's in LA all night long.

C. Lee/M. Pietrus v. K. Bryant - Any surprises? No. Pietrus is a great defender, but it's not like that ever stopped Mamba from dropping 40+ in a night. Kobe will really have to bring his A-Game to this series. Not only will he have to score like a champ, but he needs to get his team involved on a whole new level as Orlando matches up very tough against the rest of this Laker team.

My prediction [TLDR]: Lakers in 7. Jamir Nelson is out, and Bynum is looking better by the game. Barring any injury, I think all the close games the Magic have been having will catch up to them in the worst way here. All in all, Kobe will still break hearts, Superman will still break necks, and the other 8 guys on the floor will determine the winner.

Thoughts?
2011 15" MacBook Pro Ci7 2GHz, 8GB DDR3-1066, Intel 510 256GB SSD

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Seems like a good analysis to me...if the Lakers want it enough.

SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:59 pm

It's Disneyland vs Disneyworld!

Since I've never been to Disneyworld, I'm going with Disneyland to win it in 5.
///_-)

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:43 pm

I think the most important point here to to look at the weapons both teams have. This isn't a question of Howard stopping Gasol, but Gasol and Bynum stopping Howard. The Lakers can afford Gasol having sub par games much more than Orlando can afford Howard not playing well. He had a lot of problems scoring on Kendrick Perkins in the conference semis, and the tandem of Bynum and Gasol won't be any easier.

The Lakers have more talent, more weapons, more versatility, more experience and better defense. If Orlando shoots really well they can push it to 6 or 7, but I think the Lakers are the next NBA champs. Rack up #4 for Kobe.