Topic Author

Save the Spa-Francorchamps Circuit

Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:56 pm

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Save the Spa-Francorchamps Circuit

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:27 pm

Saribro wrote:
http://www.defendonsfrancorchamps.be/petition-track-circuit-racing-track-spa-francorchamps.html

'nuff said.

People are moronic. We have problems with the drag strips around here that have been here for 50 years, and people move in and within a year wanna complain and shut the place down. Hey, guess what? Deal with it or move. It was here before you were, and you knowingly moved here.

With that said, my father leaves Friday for Abu Dhabi, as he just got hired as the Vice President of Drag Race Operations at Yas Marina Circuit (The place where the F1 race this weekend is being held), so thats pretty badass. If the people in Europe don't want to uphold the tradition and heritage of autoracing, the sheiks and arab princes have the money and the desire to do whatever they want to have done.

www.yasmarinacircuit.com

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Corrado wrote:
If the people in Europe don't want to uphold the tradition and heritage of autoracing, the sheiks and arab princes have the money and the desire to do whatever they want to have done.

The problem with that is that the new tracks that pop up in such places have neither the history nor character of the classic tracks. They also lack the proximity to large numbers of spectators. I follow bike racing much more than f1, and the middle eastern rounds for those series are famous for being pretty much deserted.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:51 pm

mattsteg wrote:
Corrado wrote:
If the people in Europe don't want to uphold the tradition and heritage of autoracing, the sheiks and arab princes have the money and the desire to do whatever they want to have done.

The problem with that is that the new tracks that pop up in such places have neither the history nor character of the classic tracks. They also lack the proximity to large numbers of spectators. I follow bike racing much more than f1, and the middle eastern rounds for those series are famous for being pretty much deserted.

This is pretty much what is happening to the F1 circuits in Turkey and China too. The attendence to those events are now very low. A lot of spectators simply don't know enough and/or don't have the culture built in to appreciate the races. Sure the organizers have the money to please Bernie, but with no spectators the races themselves are in danger. Look at what is happening to Montreal. They sell out year after year and yet Bernie asked too high a price. Now he's crawling back begging for forgiveness or something. :evil:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Without Spa F1 will lose a large part of its soul, giving up scenic and challenging courses for concrete nightmares in countries with no rational ties to F1 other than aimless plutocrats willing to feed Bernie's never-ending craving for Euros.

In any racing game I've ever tried, I first try the classic F1 forest courses of the Golden Age. If they're fun to drive, the game is a keeper. Still waiting for Race Driver:GRID to add the full Spa layout complete with the Masta Kink.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:44 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Without Spa F1 will lose a large part of its soul, giving up scenic and challenging courses for concrete nightmares in countries with no rational ties to F1 other than aimless plutocrats willing to feed Bernie's never-ending craving for Euros.
Wouldn't that be Pounds? :P

Captain Ned wrote:
In any racing game I've ever tried, I first try the classic F1 forest courses of the Golden Age. If they're fun to drive, the game is a keeper. Still waiting for Race Driver:GRID to add the full Spa layout complete with the Masta Kink.

That and the full Nurburgring track? ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:52 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Wouldn't that be Pounds? :P

Nah, he's a tax exile, so he need Euros.

Flying Fox wrote:
That and the full Nurburgring track? ;)

GTR Evolution gives me the Nordschliefe, but I'd sure like to see it in GRID. I'd also like to see the full Monza setup where cars covered both the current road course and the old oval.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.