Olympics

Tech Report Fantasy Sports League and general sports discussion.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Shatner's line about Canadians with 4 beers in them being able to pronounce Straits of Juan de Fuca without getting censored was classic.


I actually changed the channel for a few minutes when he was on. For some reason I can't stand Shatner. Just hearing his voice grates on my nerves.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
 
Posts: 8308
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In a lab playing with blood

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:13 pm

Given the Canadian gold in hockey, I'm surprised that Red Green wasn't there to tell us to keep our sticks on the ice.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20558
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Michael J. Fox talking about back bacon was a bit too much. I would have understood Bob or Doug, but not MJ Fox.

Shatner's line about Canadians with 4 beers in them being able to pronounce Straits of Juan de Fuca without getting censored was classic.


I may (or may not) be closer to the border than you, but I still don't really get their humor (or is it humour?).

I found the stand-up routine from the 3 "celebrities" (of which I'm guessing all live in the US) to be a bit cheesy.

Although I think the world is a bit spoiled after the China Olympics.
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:28 pm

I didn't see the closing ceremonies, but I've seen the pictures. Hahaha. That's great, I love that floating beaver. And the moose.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:48 pm

PRIME1 wrote:I may (or may not) be closer to the border than you, but I still don't really get their humor (or is it humour?).

I'm 45 miles from the border and can be in Montreal in 90 minutes if traffic & border flow. One of the joys of living so close to Canada is that CBC and CTV are part of the basic cable package here. That allowed me to watch Royal Canadian Air Farce and This Hour Has 22 Minutes when both were in their prime. That covered Canadian political humour and Red Green showed us how the Anglo-Canadian woodchucks lived [/handwave].

It's time for a new generation of Canadian political humour. Who should we be looking to, Hoser?
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20558
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:57 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:I may (or may not) be closer to the border than you, but I still don't really get their humor (or is it humour?).

I'm 45 miles from the border and can be in Montreal in 90 minutes if traffic & border flow. One of the joys of living so close to Canada is that CBC and CTV are part of the basic cable package here. That allowed me to watch Royal Canadian Air Farce and This Hour Has 22 Minutes when both were in their prime. That covered Canadian political humour and Red Green showed us how the Anglo-Canadian woodchucks lived [/handwave].

It's time for a new generation of Canadian political humour. Who should we be looking to, Hoser?


I'm almost exactly the same distance. I have probably been to Canada 100 times. (especially since you can drink there at age 19). Our local cable carries CBC and a rooftop antenna will even pick up a french station. Even so I still can't grasp their humor. Red Green is about as dry as dust to me.
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:04 am

I really enjoyed Catherine O'Hara. I miss her from SCTV days. NBC had their cameras looking from a lot of bad angles for a lot of the parts that I saw, though. Just like with their NFL coverage. 8)
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:02 am

willyolio wrote:yeah, hockey results are pretty awesome.

also, CANADA HAS 14 GOLD MEDALS! both hockey golds! 4 of the speed skating events! we win in everything that actually matters. =P

shame the women's curling and team pursuit didn't get golds either... both of them favoured to win and just fall short. oh well.


They should have one less gold medal, imho. The 500m speed skating gold was bs.
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Core i7 3770 | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600| Samsung 830 128GB SSD | Gigabyte HD7950 3GB | Win 7 Pro x86-64
CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:53 pm

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:06 am

CampinCarl wrote:
willyolio wrote:yeah, hockey results are pretty awesome.

also, CANADA HAS 14 GOLD MEDALS! both hockey golds! 4 of the speed skating events! we win in everything that actually matters. =P

shame the women's curling and team pursuit didn't get golds either... both of them favoured to win and just fall short. oh well.


They should have one less gold medal, imho. The 500m speed skating gold was bs.


How was it BS? He crossed the line first. It wasn't like there were judges there which gave out a questionable score. What happened behind him with the crashes had no bearing on him crossing the line first.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:46 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
CampinCarl wrote:
willyolio wrote:yeah, hockey results are pretty awesome.

also, CANADA HAS 14 GOLD MEDALS! both hockey golds! 4 of the speed skating events! we win in everything that actually matters. =P

shame the women's curling and team pursuit didn't get golds either... both of them favoured to win and just fall short. oh well.


They should have one less gold medal, imho. The 500m speed skating gold was bs.


How was it BS? He crossed the line first. It wasn't like there were judges there which gave out a questionable score. What happened behind him with the crashes had no bearing on him crossing the line first.


Hmm...I'm not saying that he didn't cross before Apollo; quite the contrary. However, if you watched the race, Apollo did an inside pass on one of the Canadian racers (the one who got bronze)--he placed a hand on his hip (it didn't appear that forcefully) and the Canadian racer went down. He was disqualified.

At the same time, the Canadian racer who won gold did an inside pass on the South Korean racer in the lead. He put his hand on the South Korean's hip just as Apollo did...the South Korean racer went down...he was not disqualified.
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Core i7 3770 | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600| Samsung 830 128GB SSD | Gigabyte HD7950 3GB | Win 7 Pro x86-64
CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:53 pm

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:29 pm

CampinCarl wrote:Hmm...I'm not saying that he didn't cross before Apollo; quite the contrary. However, if you watched the race, Apollo did an inside pass on one of the Canadian racers (the one who got bronze)--he placed a hand on his hip (it didn't appear that forcefully) and the Canadian racer went down. He was disqualified.

At the same time, the Canadian racer who won gold did an inside pass on the South Korean racer in the lead. He put his hand on the South Korean's hip just as Apollo did...the South Korean racer went down...he was not disqualified.


The Canadian who won the race did not have a hand on the Korean when he fell. The Canadian was in the lead and the Korean lost his edge then fell while trying to pass on the outside. When Apollo tried to pass on the inside he had his hand on the Canadian's hip and he then fell. It doesn't have to be a forceful push to make it a disqualification. You just have to impede another skaters ability to skate. The hand goes on another skaters hip to let them know they are there. If the skater on the outside can keep their speed up & stay ahead of the guy trying to pass on the inside he has the right of way to take the inside line away from the skater trying to pass. This is what was going on in that corner. The Canadian was keeping ahead of Ohno through the corner. If Apollo didn't touch him & he fell then he would have gotten the silver.

edit - looking at the video again, you can see that Korea & Canada were about tied with Hamelin taking the inside & the Korean fell on his own. He wasn't touched by the Canadian. Ohno on the other hand (no pun intended) did have his hand on the other Canadian's hip.

Video clip
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
 
Posts: 8308
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In a lab playing with blood

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Jive wrote:That was a very good game, although ill be honest... i wanted to see a shoot out.


Seriously?? in a gold medal game? against the US??? I think half of canada would have died of shame if it had gone to shootout.

shootouts are cheap. I was just discussing with a friend how shootouts should be eliminated from olympic hockey.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"
roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: Ambergris

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:59 pm

PRIME1 wrote:Even so I still can't grasp their humor. Red Green is about as dry as dust to me.


Meh, dont worry. I've lived in Toronto all my life and I never found Red Green to be funny at all.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"
roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: Ambergris

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:39 pm

roont wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:Even so I still can't grasp their humor. Red Green is about as dry as dust to me.


Meh, dont worry. I've lived in Toronto all my life and I never found Red Green to be funny at all.


Having grown up with that show I do indeed see the humor, though lots of it flew right over my 10 year old head for sure (But I sure am prepared for marriage now :D)

On a whole, I thought the games went quite well, and for whatever reason (other than the Russians) few athletes tested positive for drugs (That we know of now).

My question; how about these 2014 Games in Russia? Think they're up for it?
If common sense is so common, why don't more people have it?
henfactor
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:14 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:49 pm

henfactor wrote:My question; how about these 2014 Games in Russia? Think they're up for it?

No.

To opine further would require an R&P thread.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20558
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:31 pm

One could cite reasoning for his view, including facts. Evaluations are where things go R&P-ish.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:One could cite reasoning for his view, including facts. Evaluations are where things go R&P-ish.

No, R&P "facts" are still R&P.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
Kevin
Administrator
 
Posts: 6592
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Olympics

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
henfactor wrote:My question; how about these 2014 Games in Russia? Think they're up for it?

No.

To opine further would require an R&P thread.


You could maybe post a link?

I have not heard anything at all about the 2014 games, so I would be interested in what's going on.

I wouldn't mind being in London for 2012 (or even maybe Russia some day).
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location

Previous

Return to TR Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests