Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

NFL Draft

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:08 pm

And the Carolina Panthers take the 2011 version of JaMarcus Russell.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Re: NFL Draft

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 pm

It's too early to make that kind of prediction. I live in the Charlotte area, and most people here are pretty excited about the pick.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:49 pm

RickyTick wrote:
I live in the Charlotte area, and most people here are pretty excited about the pick.

Are you excited about paying 3-4% property tax to subsidize the new stadium for him to play in?

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:39 pm

cass wrote:
RickyTick wrote:
I live in the Charlotte area, and most people here are pretty excited about the pick.

Are you excited about paying 3-4% property tax to subsidize the new stadium for him to play in?

What new stadium? BOA Stadium is about 15 years old, and there are no plans on building another one any time soon. Plus it was privately financed with the help of PSL's.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:45 pm

Um, R&P issues?

Bitte.

cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:49 pm

RickyTick wrote:
What new stadium? BOA Stadium is about 15 years old, and there are no plans on building another one any time soon. Plus it was privately financed with the help of PSL's.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo ... -charlotte

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Discussions of stadium financing are pure R&P since they'll always get there anyways, so kindly stop discussing it here and take it to R&P.

Thanks for listening.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:39 pm

So if there's no season, does everyone drafted this year get dumped back into the draft pool?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:39 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
So if there's no season, does everyone drafted this year get dumped back into the draft pool?

I think that answer is no but I'm not positive.
Anyhow, for the first time in a decade I actually like Buffalo's picks through the first 3 rounds.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon May 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Id think they get to keep their picks...its the owners eh :lol: But...i would betcha Carolina may want to sign up for that option. I see no upside for Jamarcus 2! Which begs the question...has he surfaced anywhere other than the local dive in Cabo? He is/was on a par with that draft dudette from Wa State Cougars a few years ago...hehe...poor ol Ryan isnt gettin much love either.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 02, 2011 6:53 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Id think they get to keep their picks...its the owners eh :lol: But...i would betcha Carolina may want to sign up for that option. I see no upside for Jamarcus 2! Which begs the question...has he surfaced anywhere other than the local dive in Cabo? He is/was on a par with that draft dudette from Wa State Cougars a few years ago...hehe...poor ol Ryan isnt gettin much love either.

Can we at least give Cam Newton two or three years to prove himself? Ryan Leaf AND JaMarcus Russell were pathetic players and pathetic people while in the NFL. Both took at least two to four years to prove they sucked really bad. If he is as bad as JaMarcus or Ryan Leaf, the diva (or lazy guy, or unfocused guy) will show up faster than you think.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon May 02, 2011 8:25 pm

He already has IMOHO...stolen laptop and dad shopping his services..."I knew nothing about that" isnt quite good enough for me...if he does well thats fine. I have no problem with that...its us..the owners ...college..NCAA that are to blame for these kids...a good majority havent passing grades yet get through with help...when its in fact not help. Get millions of dollars and fall deep into culture that theve created. I hope he succeeds...honestly i do. But he has a long tough road ahead..with lots of choices to make...lets hope he isnt the proverbial instant millionaire who stumbles under the pressure. Too much emphasis is placed on sports and winning...NCAA makes huge bucks off football and basketball. They should police the athletes and when they fail..let them fail early not later.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 02, 2011 8:44 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
He already has IMOHO...stolen laptop and dad shopping his services..."I knew nothing about that" isnt quite good enough for me...if he does well thats fine. I have no problem with that...its us..the owners ...college..NCAA that are to blame for these kids...a good majority havent passing grades yet get through with help...when its in fact not help. Get millions of dollars and fall deep into culture that theve created. I hope he succeeds...honestly i do. But he has a long tough road ahead..with lots of choices to make...lets hope he isnt the proverbial instant millionaire who stumbles under the pressure. Too much emphasis is placed on sports and winning...NCAA makes huge bucks off football and basketball. They should police the athletes and when they fail..let them fail early not later.

Easier said than done. The NCAA is trying to preserve what is essentially the last legal plantation ---- amateurism in REVENUE collegiate athletics. Did Cam deserve to get kicked out of Florida? Probably. Then he proceeds to win at a JuCo and at Auburn. If he performs well and keeps his nose clean, no one will really remember his transgressions.

Of course there is too much emphasis on winning. That is what America perceives itself to be: a nation of winners.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon May 02, 2011 8:56 pm

Yep..winners are great. Not all can handle the losing though and being young and failing and falling back on the big bucks and losing it all is a familiar story. NCAA should furnish the student atheletes with healthy stipend IMOHO...but they are to busy promoting some schools and leaving ones that should be in championship series out. A monopoly that needs to be broken.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon May 02, 2011 9:04 pm

The bad ones like Cam Newton give "student athletes" a bad name. Thugs, thieves and worse... they're getting free college educations. Most of us had to scrimp and save and work our butts off to get the same.

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon May 02, 2011 9:19 pm

Meh...the cam newton story is what it is. the guy is a winner though and you can't argue against that. off the field issues are off the field issues. the guy isnt brought in to be a role model or a babysitter for your kids. he's brought in to throw a football which believe it or not he does darn well (a junior college national championship and a ncaa division 1 championship. say what you want, no way in hell auburn goes 14-0 with blaine gabbert or locker at the helm). Newton is no jamarcus russell, just look at his abdomen or his biceps. He's probably a lot closer to josh freeman to be honest, booed by his own fans on draft day (freeman was bitterly bitterly booed. where are the boo birds now?) only to be loved and adored when he brings his team to a playoff game in 2 years. Not saying that carolina is going to the playoff. just that black, atheletic qbs are frequently booed on draft days, have good to great careers, and rarely get the respect for their on the field accomplishments that they should.

bigger story to me this weekend was atlanta trading a 2x 1st round, 1x 2nd round, and 2x 4th round picks for julio jones. And the cincinnati bungles rejecting that trade and deciding to stick with AJ Green. The fans in cincinnati are just finding out this morning that atlanta offered a similar if not better deal to cincy and was rejected and they are HOT about it.
i7 2600k @4.4 ghz 1.26v - GA-P67X-UD3 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz - Evga Geforce GTX 570 - 2x 120gb Vertex 3 Raid-0 - Seagate Barracude 1.5TB - Silverstone FT02- HP 2709M Monitor

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue May 03, 2011 7:50 am

With Fairley and Suh the Lions will have an identity: Great defensive line / We will hurt your QB
Hope so cuz the secondary still blows. Maybe we can get someone in free agency?

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 03, 2011 8:44 am

Sunburn74 wrote:
Meh...the cam newton story is what it is. the guy is a winner though and you can't argue against that. off the field issues are off the field issues. the guy isnt brought in to be a role model or a babysitter for your kids. he's brought in to throw a football which believe it or not he does darn well (a junior college national championship and a ncaa division 1 championship. say what you want, no way in hell auburn goes 14-0 with blaine gabbert or locker at the helm). Newton is no jamarcus russell, just look at his abdomen or his biceps. He's probably a lot closer to josh freeman to be honest, booed by his own fans on draft day (freeman was bitterly bitterly booed. where are the boo birds now?) only to be loved and adored when he brings his team to a playoff game in 2 years. Not saying that carolina is going to the playoff. just that black, atheletic qbs are frequently booed on draft days, have good to great careers, and rarely get the respect for their on the field accomplishments that they should.

bigger story to me this weekend was atlanta trading a 2x 1st round, 1x 2nd round, and 2x 4th round picks for julio jones. And the cincinnati bungles rejecting that trade and deciding to stick with AJ Green. The fans in cincinnati are just finding out this morning that atlanta offered a similar if not better deal to cincy and was rejected and they are HOT about it.

Cincinatti do the right thing for the fans?! Not in the last 20 years :evil: ! Time for Mike Brown to sell the team to somebody that believes in winning games.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 03, 2011 8:46 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
With Fairley and Suh the Lions will have an identity: Great defensive line / We will hurt your QB
Hope so cuz the secondary still blows. Maybe we can get someone in free agency?

Sounds like my Buccaneers back in '95 when Warren Sapp was picked up at #12..... or last year with Gerald McCoy and Brian Price. See your Lions Week One.... so I hope.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The bad ones like Cam Newton give "student athletes" a bad name. Thugs, thieves and worse... they're getting free college educations. Most of us had to scrimp and save and work our butts off to get the same.

College football players go to work every Saturday in the Fall (and most days between) and make massively less than the revenue they generate. There is nothing free about their college educations. They do more than enough to pay for their own and others. As purely a student the NCAA makes me angry enough, as a student-athlete I couldn't imagine the animosity I would have towards an organization that is robbing me blind and in conjunction with another ethically questionable organization, the NFL, keeping from earning the paycheck I would right out of high school.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:27 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Let's add Reggie Bush and Terrelle Pryor to the list of thugs ruining the college game.

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
With Fairley and Suh the Lions will have an identity: Great defensive line / We will hurt your QB.
The Detroit Lions fans have selected "Silver Crush" as the name for the 2011 defensive line, assuming that the millionaire players and their billionaire bosses ever do start negotiating so that there can be NFL football games in 2011.