Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: TR Baseball 2014

Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:23 pm

The folks in Chicago know how to celebrate Konerko, and I'm sure that's all that matters to him. If being overlooked bothers him, he's had his whole career to get used to it.
Captain Ned wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:
As a kid I watched that live on TV. It would've been amazing... but then when you leave the stadium you're in the Bronx, in 1977, in the middle of the night. As long as you stayed with the herd and headed right to the subway you'd be fine, but don't stray
I've been to the real Yankee Stadium exactly once (if my mother's father had not died of a heart attack somewhere in the night between 7/3/67 and 7/4/67 when I was but 3, it would have been much more often) somewhere in the mid '80s and I remember the transit cops herding us up the ramps so that they could close the gate behind us and protect us from the Bronx.
The last time I was at "old" Yankee Stadium was in '02, when the Giants were visiting: Barry Bonds hit a HR in the 1st but the Yankees rallied and Rivera came in for the Save. Which seemed pretty much perfect, so I'm glad that was the last one I saw before they tore the stadium down. (Looking it up now, I see Jeter went 0-4 with 2K. Heh.)

My best baseball buddy was born and grew up in the Bronx in the 70s. He lives out here in Seattle now and when he goes back his old friends from the neighborhood tease him that he's lost his Bronx edge. He responds, "So has the Bronx"

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:54 pm

Konerko is super cool. I loved his goodbye video that idchafee posted.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Quick: who wins tonight? A's or Royals?

Who wins tomorrow? Giants or Pirates?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:58 pm

So I'd just like to thank all the players for an enjoyable, low-stakes/low-stress fantasy season with a fun (for me at least) finish. Though whoever was not managing ROYALS! all season could've made a little more of an effort.
derFunkenstein wrote:
That was an amazing game. Glad I watched the whole thing. It was amusing watching the folks in my pub go from ignoring it completely to being completely into it with a big cheer at the walk-off (we're in Mariners country with a fair number of displaced Giants fans so nobody was cheering for the A's, even without the "first since 1985" sympathy narrative).
Hopefully the Pirates. Bumgardner is a tough matchup, but look how the putative "pitching duel" last night went.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:42 pm

For tonight it's the Pirates.

Finished in the playoffs where I finished in the season. Can't complain about that as I simply don't have the time to grok all of the new sabermetrics. My roster choices have always been picked looking at the stats for the past 7 days.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:17 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
So I'd just like to thank all the players for an enjoyable, low-stakes/low-stress fantasy season with a fun (for me at least) finish. Though whoever was not managing ROYALS! all season could've made a little more of an effort.
derFunkenstein wrote:
That was an amazing game. Glad I watched the whole thing. It was amusing watching the folks in my pub go from ignoring it completely to being completely into it with a big cheer at the walk-off (we're in Mariners country with a fair number of displaced Giants fans so nobody was cheering for the A's, even without the "first since 1985" sympathy narrative).
Hopefully the Pirates. Bumgardner is a tough matchup, but look how the putative "pitching duel" last night went.

I agree with this whole post. ROYALS! could have done better. The game was amazing. I'm also glad I stayed up late. If the whole of the playoffs is that exciting, we'll all be dead by Sunday. I'm also picking the Pirates, because they finished the year out really well. The Giants not so much.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:08 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
ROYALS! could have done better.

ROYALS! last signed in on March 7, 2014. Draft was March 21, 2014.

I hates dead teams.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:03 am

So the whole body of work this month has been nothing short of amazing, amirite?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:11 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
So the whole body of work this month has been nothing short of amazing, amirite?

Can anyone stop KC from running the table?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:47 am

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Scott:

If there's a slide in editorial content for the next day or three, I think most of us here would completely understand. Talk about Team of Destiny. No one's won more than 7 in a row to start a postseason until tonight.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:18 pm

I was at the game where the White Sox honored Paul Konerko, 2nd to last game of the season. Their opponent was the Royals. This morning, I texted my buddy who went with me, "did you think we were watching a World Series team?" His reply was "no way in hell." This is absolutely amazing how this has shaken out.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:21 pm

The really scary part is that this life-long Yankees fan (since about 1974 or so when I finally discovered sports after the manned space program shut down) is willing to take the ride. Given the history (I watched the Pine Tar game live on WPIX-11 with Phil Rizzuto & Bill White) ...

EDIT: If they somehow manage to keep the string going in the Series, who'll be the first to sew four more arms on an octopus and fling it on the field?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:43 pm

Never met the guy, and yeah, he played for my team, but man, I'm just feeling sick.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... bd7d7.html