phpBB 3

Notices, forum rules, FAQs, and other things of a critical nature.

Moderator: Kevin

Re: phpBB 3

Postposted on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:45 am

Well there's your problem.

"Doc, it hurts when I do this!"
"Then stop doing that!"
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:14 am

UberGerbil wrote:Well there's your problem.

"Doc, it hurts when I do this!"
"Then stop doing that!"

What? I always sign out as well.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:53 pm

I didn't get it either. :-?
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:11 pm

I'm experiencing the same thing here, I just noticed. I'm at work. I signed in at 2, browsed for a little bit, then signed out and closed FF (2.0.0.11). I come back from doing a job, open FF back up, login, and behold the previous list of 'new posts' was still there. It had been updated with the real 'new posts' but the ones that were new when I logged in at 2, were still on the list, even though they weren't marked as new.

EDIT: I tried clearing the cookies/cache and it seems to be working now.
Last edited by Usacomp2k3 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Is there any way to limit friends/foes to R&P?
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:02 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:Is there any way to limit friends/foes to R&P?

Haha.
Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:30 pm

No, it's a global feature.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
Kevin
Administrator

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:04 pm

Here's an example of what I consider wasted space:

I tried to highlight (using the nifty spray-paint tool in mspaint) the blank space that is wasting my real estate.

Here's kinda what I'm thinking:

That's an 18% savings of vertical space.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:20 pm

I don't think that can be solved by a theme. You'd need to modify the phpBB 3 source.
Kevin
Administrator

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:23 pm

Kevin wrote:I don't think that can be solved by a theme. You'd need to modify the phpBB 3 source.
Do you see what I mean about there being alot of empty, unused space though? I guess that was more the idea that I was trying to convey than a specific change or implementation.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:40 pm

Sure, there's unused space. I don't think anyone has said otherwise. In fact, the suggestion you propose was mentioned earlier in the thread. And your "Here's kinda what I'm thinking" sure seemed like you were looking for a change to me. ;)
Kevin
Administrator

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:44 pm

Kevin wrote:Sure, there's unused space. I don't think anyone has said otherwise. In fact, the suggestion you propose was mentioned earlier in the thread. And your "Here's kinda what I'm thinking" sure seemed like you were looking for a change to me. ;)

Well I'm loooking for a change in the long-term sense of the usage. I guess what I meant was that I wasn't specifically putting for the moving of stuff around and the changing of the padding. I was doing a before/after hypothetical situation to show that doing some changes (not necessarily the one's I showed) would have a definite improvement.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:14 pm

Adding display:inline to the css of ".postbody h3" and "p.author" brings the "posted by" link onto the same line as the subject.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Kevin wrote:Sure, there's unused space. I don't think anyone has said otherwise. In fact, the suggestion you propose was mentioned earlier in the thread. And your "Here's kinda what I'm thinking" sure seemed like you were looking for a change to me. ;)

Well I'm loooking for a change in the long-term sense of the usage. I guess what I meant was that I wasn't specifically putting for the moving of stuff around and the changing of the padding. I was doing a before/after hypothetical situation to show that doing some changes (not necessarily the one's I showed) would have a definite improvement.

I think there are some visual presentation problems with the phpBB 3 layout, although I disagree about their nature and severity. My take is that phpBB 3.0 as implemented here has a problem not so much with excessive use of vertical space per se, but with inconsistent use of vertical whitespace. Most forums, including our phpBB 2 layout, have a certain amount of visual consistency, and I think that's probably what's bugging some folks about the new layout. The variance can make reading more difficult. The inconsistencies include:

-Short (one or two line) posts cause vertical spacing anomalies

-A dynamically sized "post by" profile area that's too small side-to-side can cause icons to flow to a second line at some very common browser widths. Kevin's posts were doing this for me since he has lots of icons.

-Some user sigs are strangely tall.

-The quotation facility inserts way too much vertical space after the quotation by default.

These things make following the flow of a thread quickly more difficult than it should be.

As a result, I've just asked Cyril to make some changes to our layout. Those include a slightly wider "profile" area to prevent the icon wrapping issue and less spacing below quotations by default. You may have to hit ctrl-F5 in your browser to reload the stylesheet and see the changes. One side-effect of the quotation change, Cyril tells me, will be too little whitespace after quotations in older posts. We may just have to live with that, but the frequency of those popping up will fade with time. I think the end result of these changes will be better visual consistency with regard to vertical space, along with some degree of improved efficiency, as well. If I'm right, usability--the key thing--should be improved.

We'll roll these changes into the blue look before it goes live.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"
Editor - The Tech Report
Damage
TR Staff
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Awesome. Thank you very much for addressing it Scott. I appreciate your down-to-earthness and for addressing specific issues. I know you have bigger things to worry about than this, so thanks. (and thanks for those doing the work on the backend).
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:42 pm

Damage wrote:

Very excited about this. I haven't had any issues with the new set-up, except the beige background keeps me thinking I'm posting somewhere else. Eagerly looking forward to TR blue.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:08 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
Damage wrote:

Very excited about this. I haven't had any issues with the new set-up, except the beige background keeps me thinking I'm posting somewhere else. Eagerly looking forward to TR blue.

Some of us got a preview and the blue is not the old blue. So be warned. Of course there is room for change.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:18 pm

Flying Fox wrote:Some of us got a preview and the blue is not the old blue. So be warned. Of course there is room for change.

Well, it might not be the old blue, but it's definitely the oldest blue. It's the color of the dark blue theme that Firefox borked and could never properly handle.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:24 pm

Wow, that's customer service for you. That's why TR is the best! Thanks Damage!
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | 2x ASUS STRIX GTX 970 SLI | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:01 pm

Damage wrote:Those include a slightly wider "profile" area to prevent the icon wrapping issue and less spacing below quotations by default.

The profile area seems a tad too wide to me. IMO it doesn't need to dynamically grow like it does and should really be fixed-width. Icon-wrapping is far less objectionable than being too wide.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 pm

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the newposts search? The forums run fine, other searches (including egosearch and other "special" searches) run fine, but the newposts search won't load for me. The page just sits there and eventually times out. It's been happening on and off all day long.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:36 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:Some of us got a preview and the blue is not the old blue. So be warned. Of course there is room for change.

Well, it might not be the old blue, but it's definitely the oldest blue. It's the color of the dark blue theme that Firefox borked and could never properly handle.

Score. don't know why, but my Firefox never had a problem with the old old TR blue (dark blue). Although I do know of the blue Flying Fox is referring to, as all of my other family members computers displayed the "old" blue (the lighter blue).
Either way, yay for blue.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:05 pm

mattsteg wrote:Is anyone else experiencing problems with the newposts search? The forums run fine, other searches (including egosearch and other "special" searches) run fine, but the newposts search won't load for me. The page just sits there and eventually times out. It's been happening on and off all day long.

Not here. Was it on multiple sessions/browsers/computers? Did you try clearing cache?
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:15 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:Is anyone else experiencing problems with the newposts search? The forums run fine, other searches (including egosearch and other "special" searches) run fine, but the newposts search won't load for me. The page just sits there and eventually times out. It's been happening on and off all day long.

Not here. Was it on multiple sessions/browsers/computers? Did you try clearing cache?

Happened at home and at school.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:33 am

mattsteg wrote:
Damage wrote:Those include a slightly wider "profile" area to prevent the icon wrapping issue and less spacing below quotations by default.

The profile area seems a tad too wide to me. IMO it doesn't need to dynamically grow like it does and should really be fixed-width. Icon-wrapping is far less objectionable than being too wide.
I agree. The profile area should be narrower not wider. Shrink the "Join Date" info by displaying just dd mmm, yyyy -- we don't need the time or day of week -- and then make the profile no wider than that. I don't see what's wrong with two lines of icons if it comes to that. Most posts worth reading are more than a couple of lines long so the added vertical space isn't a big deal (particularly in light of all the other vertical bloat going on in the new design). The dynamic growing/shrinking might make it harder to get a consistent margin between that and the post body at narrower widths.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:28 am

UberGerbil wrote: Shrink the "Join Date" info by displaying just dd mmm, yyyy -- we don't need the time or day of week -- and then make the profile no wider than that.
The date display is user-controlled. It shows up however you have your date prefs set.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:57 pm

How do I turn off email notification of IMs?

I have "No" checked on "Notify me on new private messages."
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر
Looking for Knowledge
Emperor Gerbilius I
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:53 pm

mattsteg wrote:
UberGerbil wrote: Shrink the "Join Date" info by displaying just dd mmm, yyyy -- we don't need the time or day of week -- and then make the profile no wider than that.
The date display is user-controlled. It shows up however you have your date prefs set.
Unfortunately, I want to know the exact minute a comment was posted. I don't want to know the exact minute a user joined TR.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:40 pm

I don't know why, but I'm having trouble using the ordered list function.

[list=][*]Here's[*]what[*]I[*]get[/list]

Am I doing something wrong, or is this feature not really implemented?
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:43 pm

titan wrote:I don't know why, but I'm having trouble using the ordered list function.

[list=][*]Here's[*]what[*]I[*]get[/list]

Am I doing something wrong, or is this feature not really implemented?

Take the equal sign out:

• Here's
  • what
  • I
  • get
Steel
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements