Socket 939 boards and single channel mode

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Socket 939 boards and single channel mode

Postposted on Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:14 pm

Hi guys

I'm a bit confused, my new Mobo options are mainly MSI K8N Neo4 and ASUS A8N-E.

I have two ram stick (pc270 or 333 Mhz) 1x256 Samsung and 1x512 Kingston, and i can't afford to buy dual channel specific ram for the moment so i will have to carry the old stick to the new board.

MSI board is capable of using the sticks in single channel mode, but what about the Asus board...this point is unclear has any of you tried this single channel mode on any of them ?

I would also like any other comment that may help me to decide on wich Mobo should i put my hard earned cash :o

Cheers
vwc_maxwellsmart
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:03 pm

Any AMD based motherboard that supports dual channel will by default support single channel. Only some older Intel-based motherboards REQUIRED dual DIMMs/RIMMs... and even then it wasn't necessarily "dual-channel."

Both MSI and Asus make quality motherboards. Plenty of people on this forum will favor one or the other... some will hate both. Generally speaking, I'm sure either will work fine if you don't plan any heavy overclocking.
x--x--x--x
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:32 pm

If you're deciding between the MSI K8N Neo4-F and the A8N-E I think I'll have to say the Asus, just because it looks like it has better specs (namely sata2)
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:40 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:If you're deciding between the MSI K8N Neo4-F and the A8N-E I think I'll have to say the Asus, just because it looks like it has better specs (namely sata2)

I'd agree, although the rumors I've been hearing about Asus lately, plus one bad lemon around Xmas time, have left me slightly unsettled. I've been an Asus man most of my life, although my current motherboard and one past motherboard have been Soltek. Other than crappy floppy connector placement, I must say that my experience with Soltek has been just as good as Asus... plus I saved around $30 with each Soltek board.

[This post was completely useless. I guess I just typed it to hear myself type. Stroke my ego, will ya?]
x--x--x--x
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:37 pm

What about overclocking procedurtes with both boards...is it safe...is it easy (started to sound like Gandalf hehehe)

Where can i find a good guide to overclocking these two boards. I'm going to sticj tçwith the a64 3200 Venice and probably a pair of corsair xmx (132 usd) at newegg...what do you think.

according to an article at extremetech.com...the bst bang for the buck concerning video card is on the Geforce 6600 Gt 128 (pci-e) so this will be my choice (i have no option either as i'm not part of the Rockefeller's :lol: ).

What do you think..i need help especially concerning ram and the use of my two old pc2700 stick

Cheers
vwc_maxwellsmart
Gerbil

Return to System Builders Anonymous