Arg!!! Help! My new build just quit!

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:13 pm

Not. Pleased.

Burnt RAM (not my fault), Burnt Video Card (Power cable) and getting nailed for $53 in restocking fees. WTH Are they going to restock? Dead RAM? Dead Video? Nowhere does it mention giving you a break when they send you something defective. Hell, I'm going to go start a company that delivers people defective stuff, and charges them money to send it back so I can send it out again to the next guy.

Fsk NewEgg, I'm shopping local if possible (except for RAM). Yeah, lots of incentive to deliver things fast when they can screw you for that a lot money when you send it back.

Am I over-reacting? My company would be out of business in a day if we pulled that nonsense.

-LS
liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:26 pm

They wont give you an RMA for neither? Thats very odd.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:34 pm

They are giving me an RMA, but slapping me with a restocking fee. It doesn't make sense. I am calling tomorrow to find out what the deal is.

-LS
liquidsquid

Postposted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:03 pm

I can sort of see the video card if it was your fault it died, and in fact they could make you eat the whole thing. But the RAM, if it was defective, they should replace for no fee at all, including shipping. I don't have experience with returning defective things to newegg (except one CPU which they made me send to AMD), but if that's how they work, that sucks and will make me look elsewhere.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:38 pm

Ok, all settled. I gave them a call and besides one of my refused delivery monitors not showing up yet, all is well. Apparently they wave the restocking fee after they read your reasons for return.

Now, I forgive them. I even admitted the reason for the video card failure and they are taking it back for me (refunding). Now you all know how it works, if you didn't already.

I guess I can still order from Newegg :wink:

Whoops, just realized I forgot to order the 3.5" floppy AGAIN. Man, sometimes I have to check my medicine.

-LS
liquidsquid

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:41 pm

Good news about newegg.

About the floppy, this is for the SATA drivers and Windows I assume?

Somewhere out there somebody knows how to make a slipstreamed Windows install disc on which you can put the SATA drivers without having to do the floppy drive part, I think... but I can't find it for the time being.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:05 pm

http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/01/how_to_slipstre.html
For a slipstreaming guide. Never actually got mine to work, but that's alright. I have a floppy 8)
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:13 pm

Most of the ones I've seen assume a current version of Nero, which I haven't had in years. :(
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:14 pm

i have used this program called nLite to slipstream service pack 2 to my install disc . i dont know if it will do drivers or not you would have to download it and take a look . its alot more dummy friendly that the one that Usacomp2k3 linked to :wink: i am sure either one could probably get the job done though . all this one requires is a cd burning program that can handle iso's . nothing fancy
Hance
Darth Gerbil

Previous

Return to System Builders Anonymous