Weird system failure phenomenon

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Weird system failure phenomenon

Postposted on Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:56 pm

I decided to add a fan to my power supply, and had to remove the motherboard to get the power supply out of the case. Once I was finished with my mod, I rebuilt my system identical to how it was earlier. After I rebuilt the system it would not boot, POST, beep, or display anything on the screen. It would just hang. After a bit of troubleshooting, I determined that the problem was my PCI wireless card. With the card plugged in, the system would fail. With the card removed, the system would load Windows just fine. I tested the problem about 4 times and it was repeatable.

Prior to today, there were no problems with my wireless card. When it was removed from my system, it was handled with care and put in a static bag. Nonetheless, I figured I somehow killed my wireless card. This is where the weird part comes in. I have an identical wireless card in my secondary computer. So I swapped cards. The supposedly faulty wireless card works flawlessly in my secondary computer. The wireless card that was initially in my secondary computer now works fine in my main rig (the system loads Windows just fine and works flawlessly). What gives? There must be technical reason for my problem, although it seems more like magic at this point.

To lay things out:

Wireless card A works in both computer 1 and 2.
Wireless card B works in computer 1, but not in computer 2.
x--x--x--x
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:10 am

my only suggestion would be to reset your bios and hope that might fix it, possibly a clean bios will id it right
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, AMD64 Winchester 3200+, 2GB Kingston DDR400, 2 6600GTs in SLI, 2 WD 80GB SATA HDDs in RAID0, Aspire 550W PSU, Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Thermaltake XaserV V7000A Case
Hoodieboy711
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:15 am

My guess is that the IRQ is just messing up. Have you tried a different PCI slot?
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Return to System Builders Anonymous