stupid questions

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

stupid questions

Postposted on Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:57 pm

(1) got my new soundblaster w-fi (yummy) can i plug it into a pci express slot? should i?

(2) somebody told me that the OS drive should be using the ports "built-into" the chipset. i have a A8N-Sli .. there are four SATA ports (i don't want to RAID) are they all "built-in"?

MANY thanks in advance...you guys have been GREAT!

:D :D :D :D
importedpolyester
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:31 pm

1) You mean x-fi? Don't plug it into pci-e unless it says that on the box. (looks like it's just a normal pci so put it into a normal pci spot) (i not to sure if pci-e is backwards compatible with pci).

2) um.. yes they are all built in if they are on the board, you'd probably want to plug it into the one that says #1 on it.
paco
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:46 pm

paco wrote:1) You mean x-fi? Don't plug it into pci-e unless it says that on the box. (looks like it's just a normal pci so put it into a normal pci spot) (i not to sure if pci-e is backwards compatible with pci).

Nope, PCI-express (PCIe) is not backwards compatible with anything. It is a completely new deal.

Do not confuse PCIe with PCI-X (which is just a wider/faster version of standard PCI).
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to System Builders Anonymous