Albatron Geforce 6150 GPU mobo (help me build HTPC)

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Albatron Geforce 6150 GPU mobo (help me build HTPC)

Postposted on Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:03 am

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26370
http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/8804

I wonder if this is finally the HTPC dream board we have been looking for? So I'd like a HTPC to do some light gaming, but mostly for the usual stuff like viewing my video and picture collection on HDTV, browsing the net, and stuff. I already have a HD-DVR, so I do NOT need a TV Tuner card. I also have the Logitech Z-5500 speakers so I am covered with DD and DTS decoding.
Here is what I really want to do:
Wirelessly stream (or transfer) files from my main PC in bedroom to the living room PC. Do I need special software for that? I already have the wireless router and I will get a wireless PCI Card with this board. How do I do that?

I figure I will just get the cheapest 939 chip available when the board comes out. I also need a case. How is the Antec Overture? I want to spend AS LITTLE money as possible, and I want it to be quiet.

And yes, I do know about HTPCnews.com so please forego the obiligatory link. Thanks!
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7924
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Postposted on Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:02 am

In terms of wireless, no there's nothing special. XP SP2's built in wireless config is quite good. Plus most network card drivers have their own managers, which some prefer. Be prepared that wireless is going to be rather slow, and I wouldn't recommend it except for the occasional file access. In my experiences, it is just too slow for largish transfers.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 21281
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Postposted on Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:21 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:Be prepared that wireless is going to be rather slow, and I wouldn't recommend it except for the occasional file access. In my experiences, it is just too slow for largish transfers.


I'll second that. In my experience as well, the current crop of wireless protocols just can't cut it with regards to streaming videos. If you expect seamless streaming of video files using wireless then you'll be sorely disappointed.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!
flybywire
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:28 pm
Location: Springfield, VA - USA

Postposted on Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:11 pm

flybywire wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:Be prepared that wireless is going to be rather slow, and I wouldn't recommend it except for the occasional file access. In my experiences, it is just too slow for largish transfers.


I'll second that. In my experience as well, the current crop of wireless protocols just can't cut it with regards to streaming videos. If you expect seamless streaming of video files using wireless then you'll be sorely disappointed.

Damn, that sucks, even at 54mbps? I am guessing it never comes close to that speed then huh. :(
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7924
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Postposted on Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:40 pm

PerfectCr wrote:Damn, that sucks, even at 54mbps? I am guessing it never comes close to that speed then huh. :(


You have to remember that 54mbps can only be achieved under 'optimal' operating conditions. And we all know how rare those instances can be, given the sheer number of variables that can affect wireless performance. I've had so many headaches dealing with wireless that I only use it for web browsing on my pda and one remote computer in my home.

I wish I could say better things about the current wireless technology. Oh well, we can always hope that the next generation of wireless tech provides more bandwidth and reliability.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!
flybywire
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:28 pm
Location: Springfield, VA - USA

Postposted on Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:21 am

flybywire wrote:
I'll second that. In my experience as well, the current crop of wireless protocols just can't cut it with regards to streaming videos. If you expect seamless streaming of video files using wireless then you'll be sorely disappointed.


How can this be, when DVD video averages 6-8 mbps? You'd think wireless would be more than enough to transfer that.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20551
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Postposted on Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:35 am

Vrock wrote:
flybywire wrote:
I'll second that. In my experience as well, the current crop of wireless protocols just can't cut it with regards to streaming videos. If you expect seamless streaming of video files using wireless then you'll be sorely disappointed.


How can this be, when DVD video averages 6-8 mbps? You'd think wireless would be more than enough to transfer that.


Yeah, you would think. But from my experiences, it just didn't work very well. Perhaps other people out there are having better results than I have. :-?
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!
flybywire
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:28 pm
Location: Springfield, VA - USA

Postposted on Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:26 am

flybywire wrote:
Yeah, you would think. But from my experiences, it just didn't work very well. Perhaps other people out there are having better results than I have. :-?


I would bet it has less to do with bandwidth and more to do with signal drop out.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20551
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Postposted on Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:45 am

Vrock wrote:
flybywire wrote:
Yeah, you would think. But from my experiences, it just didn't work very well. Perhaps other people out there are having better results than I have. :-?


I would bet it has less to do with bandwidth and more to do with signal drop out.


I suppose that would be a better explanation. I just wish that wireless would be more reliable and not be so finicky. It really is true that one can't have a cake and it eat it too. :(
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!
flybywire
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:28 pm
Location: Springfield, VA - USA

Postposted on Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:56 am

So, if I wanted to try and stream video wirelessly to the pc, or simply transfer files, how exactly do I do that if box boxes are running WinXP Home?
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7924
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Postposted on Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:36 pm

XP home allow "simple file sharing" which is essentially the same as normal file sharing with a dummy-down interface. The way to map drives and stuff are the same.

For real streaming, there are streaming server apps out there that you may be able to find. VLC is supposed to be one.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24289
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Postposted on Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:30 pm

Any Case suggestions?
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7924
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Orlando, FL


Return to System Builders Anonymous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests