Is it time?

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Is it time?

Postposted on Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:18 pm

Right now I am debating on when to upgrade to a new system. My current setup is a p4c800-e deluxe and a 9800xt graphics card. Lately I have been debating on when to build myself a new pc. The reason I want to build and not upgrade is because I want to get out of AGP and Intel and Go to AMD and PCI-E. But I just dont know the right time to do so. I plan on getting cheapoer processors that are very overclocker friendly and then stick on a phase change unit and go overclocker crazy. What is your opinion on the time I should upgrade?
bartsimsonii
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:48 pm

Well, there will always be something coming out in the near future. So I don't think it's good to wait it out... plus you'll see a huge improvement over your current system even if you go with a 3000+Venice 939 and a decent video card.
...time to update my signature.
spiritwalker2222
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:00 pm

I believe that you may be looking for support from the wrong group. In this forum, it's ALWAYS time to upgrade! :wink:

Seriously... Socket-939 is here. PCI-Express is here. Dual core processors are here. SM3 video cards are here. What are you waiting for? Socket-M2 & DDR2? 65nm?

However, if your games play okay with what you have, you will almost always save money by waiting to upgrade.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:49 pm

no, no, wait till amd goes to 45nm and quad core along with ddr3 and what a nvidia 18000ugtxl? :lol: [/sarcasm]

Really i'd say upgrade if the budget permits, or if you can't play the games you want to play at a decent rez and settings.

what would be your budget anyways? If it's too small you might not see that much of a boost in preformance( except in moving from intel to amd :lol: )
paco
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to System Builders Anonymous