Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Jeffreyg4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Best case for this system

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:28 pm

Hey all i need a case to finish off this system

1 x PC ASSEMBLY AND TESTING (PRE-CONFIG OS IF PURCHASED)
1 x AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+ DUAL CORE PROCESSOR S939 TOLEDO 2.2GHZ 1MBX2 90NM RETAIL BOX
1 x ASUS A8N5X ATX S939 NFORCE4 DDR PCI-E16 SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard
1 x OCZ Performance PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL3-3-3-8 184PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit W/ Ramsink
1 x Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 8MB 8.9MS Hard Drive 3 Year MFR Warranty
1 x Mitsumi FA404A-BK 7-IN-1 Floppy Drive & Flash Reader CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS Black
1 x EVGA E-GEFORCE 7800GTX 256MB 256BIT DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV VIVO SLI Ready Video Card Retail
1 x Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Keyboard & Optical Mouse Set USB OEM *With System Only*
1 x MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION OEM (WITH SYSTEM ONLY)
1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI 24-BIT OEM
1 x LG GSA-4167B 16X DVD+-RW 16X Dual Layer Writer IDE 2MB Black OEM W/ SW Burner

Please gimme ideas for a good/cheap/cool looking/with ps case off of http://www.ncix.com . also it realy needs a good ps becuse of all the hardware im running! how wany wats do you think i will need for this system?

Thanks
-Jeff
Currently looking for a new pc!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:31 pm

Watts is nothing much unless you also take into consideration as to actual numbers for the rails and the manufacturer's record of quality.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:33 pm

Man..youve changed the cpu again :roll: Youre going to want/need a decent 450w sli compatible psu for what your looking at. Cases are personal choices as mentioned before..last thread you had i thought you were set with the TT tsunami? See you have the GTX card instead of the GT...another waste when youre trying to save bucks with not a whole lot of performance gains.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:38 pm

His A8N5X doesn't do SLI, but then someone already suggested to get an SLI board for the same price so he may yet switch again.

Lickety, I have tried my best to hammer the idea "there is really no future proofing system, especially for a long time" to his head, but "last long", "top of the line", "amazing framerates" (what 60fps not enough for ya?) still linger in his various posts. May be the TR resident banner holder of cheapness can do what I have failed to do... :P :oops:

Jamesp
Gerbil

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:45 pm

"good/cheap/cool looking/with ps case" = nothing but problems in the future. If you're going to spend good money for good components, the last thing you want is a cheap case with a cheap power supply. Spend a little extra, buy a case with good air flow, and buy a good power supply to go with it.

Just my .02

Jeffreyg4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:58 pm

Jamesp wrote:
"good/cheap/cool looking/with ps case" = nothing but problems in the future. If you're going to spend good money for good components, the last thing you want is a cheap case with a cheap power supply. Spend a little extra, buy a case with good air flow, and buy a good power supply to go with it.

Just my .02

Ok well any recomdations? and why would i need an sli mobo?

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:09 pm

Jeffreyg4 wrote:

Look..Pay attention here. Numerous threads...everyone you have changed your requirements. Why dont you say what you can afford(im assuming the $2100 CN is still in effect) and just go with the recommendations of the folks in here? Obviously you are not paying attention. We ARE trying to save you some money and get you the best bang for the buck available today. If you cant take advice..why even ask?

Edit..im not trying to be harsh here..we just need you to get out of the frying pan..forget the fire :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Jeffreyg4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:14 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Jeffreyg4 wrote:

Look..Pay attention here. Numerous threads...everyone you have changed your requirements. Why dont you say what you can afford(im assuming the $2100 CN is still in effect) and just go with the recommendations of the folks in here? Obviously you are not paying attention. We ARE trying to save you some money and get you the best bang for the buck available today. If you cant take advice..why even ask?

ok, fine i just want a really good pc and i dont mind spending a little bit more money to get better preformance. now i just need an idea for a good case/ psu and i may change the video card to a gt if needed to for price reasons

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:30 pm

Jeffreyg4 wrote:

ok, fine i just want a really good pc and i dont mind spending a little bit more money to get better preformance. now i just need an idea for a good case/ psu and i may change the video card to a gt if needed to for price reasons

There is NO need to get pissy here. You have had recommendations for a case. You had a decent one picked out and now have went south on that choice as well. Cases are mostly personal preferences..as mentioned before. Just what seems to be your problem with someone calling you on your waffling? The hardware inside isnt going to change..so your choice of a case means nothing to noone other than you. Ive lost track of the different threads you have started for this build when just one would have sufficed. Most..if not all in here are just as lost as i am. We have no idea what you really want because it changes every day. Now your asking why a SLI mobo? If you want to learn thats fine..we will be happy to help in that aspect..but most here(myself included) feel you are not listening to whats been said :roll:

Jeffreyg4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:35 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Jeffreyg4 wrote:

There is NO need to get pissy here. You have had recommendations for a case. You had a decent one picked out and now have went south on that choice as well. Cases are mostly personal preferences..as mentioned before. Just what seems to be your problem with someone calling you on your waffling? The hardware inside isnt going to change..so your choice of a case means nothing to noone other than you. Ive lost track of the different threads you have started for this build when just one would have sufficed. Most..if not all in here are just as lost as i am. We have no idea what you really want because it changes every day. Now your asking why a SLI mobo? If you want to learn thats fine..we will be happy to help in that aspect..but most here(myself included) feel you are not listening to whats been said :roll:

Ok well im sorry if you find me to be "pissy" but when im spending this much money on a decent system i want to get the best i can, as for the case i dont really care at all, its more of the PS that im concerned of because i dont want my hardware to burn up, and at the same time i dont wanna spend $200 on a ps. so PLEASE tell we what a good ps is and explain to me why i need a sli mobo. and also for you're information i have made up my mind on almost evreything on this pc so hopefully not much more will be changing.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:43 pm

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... ture=ANTEC

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... ture=ANTEC

I like the Antec cases myself,I have a CoolerMaster for one of my systems that I like but didn't see any with a PS over 350 watts.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

Jeffreyg4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:47 pm

yeah, ive heard good stuff about antec, those are some good cases u recomended but ive been told i need more that 400w so would this be a good case?

http://www.ncix.com/products/productdet ... ?sku=12947
i kno, its more money but like u guys said... its worth it.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:49 pm

You need that mobo because of the video card you plan on putting in it. If you want a quality PSU prepare to spend extra for it..something like this(just for comparison).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151024

The antec cases mentioned above will do you justice.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:49 pm

Jeffreyg4 wrote:
LicketySplit wrote:
Jeffreyg4 wrote:

Ok well im sorry if you find me to be "pissy" but when im spending this much money on a decent system i want to get the best i can, as for the case i dont really care at all, its more of the PS that im concerned of because i dont want my hardware to burn up, and at the same time i dont wanna spend $200 on a ps. so PLEASE tell we what a good ps is and explain to me why i need a sli mobo. and also for you're information i have made up my mind on almost evreything on this pc so hopefully not much more will be changing.

Just food for thought,your willing to spend 500-600 on a video card that will be "obsolete" in 6 months,however your trying to save money on a PSU,a critical component that if properly chosen will last for at least a couple of system upgrades and or replacements.Doesn't make alot of sense to me .

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:54 pm

Jeffreyg4 wrote:
yeah, ive heard good stuff about antec, those are some good cases u recomended but ive been told i need more that 400w so would this be a good case?

I didn't see who makes the PSU for it.I would go with a quality name brand PSU,i.e.,Seasonic,PC Power and Cooling ,if getting an Antec I'd probably get a 480 watt Neo,if not getting one in an Antec case.

Jeffreyg4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:55 pm

rogue426 wrote:
Jeffreyg4 wrote:
LicketySplit wrote:
Jeffreyg4 wrote:

Just food for thought,your willing to spend 500-600 on a video card that will be "obsolete" in 6 months,however your trying to save money on a PSU,a critical component that if properly chosen will last for at least a couple of system upgrades and or replacements.Doesn't make alot of sense to me .

Obsolete? how? im still using a geforce fx 5200 on my amd athlon 2500+ although the performance sucks it still works!

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Best case for this system

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:57 pm

Jeffreyg4 wrote:
Hey all i need a case to finish off this system

1 x PC ASSEMBLY AND TESTING (PRE-CONFIG OS IF PURCHASED)
1 x AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+ DUAL CORE PROCESSOR S939 TOLEDO 2.2GHZ 1MBX2 90NM RETAIL BOX
1 x ASUS A8N5X ATX S939 NFORCE4 DDR PCI-E16 SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard
1 x OCZ Performance PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL3-3-3-8 184PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit W/ Ramsink
1 x Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 8MB 8.9MS Hard Drive 3 Year MFR Warranty
1 x Mitsumi FA404A-BK 7-IN-1 Floppy Drive & Flash Reader CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS Black
1 x EVGA E-GEFORCE 7800GTX 256MB 256BIT DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV VIVO SLI Ready Video Card Retail
1 x Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Keyboard & Optical Mouse Set USB OEM *With System Only*
1 x MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION OEM (WITH SYSTEM ONLY)
1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI 24-BIT OEM
1 x LG GSA-4167B 16X DVD+-RW 16X Dual Layer Writer IDE 2MB Black OEM W/ SW Burner

Please gimme ideas for a good/cheap/cool looking/with ps case off of http://www.ncix.com . also it realy needs a good ps becuse of all the hardware im running! how wany wats do you think i will need for this system?

Thanks
-Jeff

Why would you get XP Home Edition with a dual core proc?I could be wrong here but you'll need XP PRO to see the 2nd core.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:00 pm

Jeffreyg4 wrote:
rogue426 wrote:
Jeffreyg4 wrote:
LicketySplit wrote:
Jeffreyg4 wrote:

Obsolete? how? im still using a geforce fx 5200 on my amd athlon 2500+ although the performance sucks it still works!

By then the next latest and greatest will be released from Nvidia and ATI.Trust me I'd love to have a 7800 GT or GTX,however ,way to overpriced for me,and product cycles to quick to justify me spending that much cash on one.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:01 pm

Jeffreyg4 wrote:

Do you realize what you just said there? Why the GTX instead of the GT then? As mentioned..good luck with your choices. When indeed you decide what they are.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:07 pm

rogue426 wrote:

Why would you get XP Home Edition with a dual core proc?I could be wrong here but you'll need XP PRO to see the 2nd core.

No..Xp Home handles the dual core just fine.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:09 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
rogue426 wrote:

No..Xp Home handles the dual core just fine.

Lucky me I spent the extra money on yet another copy of Pro for my dual proc machine.

Jeffreyg4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:45 pm

rogue426 wrote:
Jeffreyg4 wrote:

I didn't see who makes the PSU for it.I would go with a quality name brand PSU,i.e.,Seasonic,PC Power and Cooling ,if getting an Antec I'd probably get a 480 watt Neo,if not getting one in an Antec case.

I was on the forums on ncix.com and some guy said "Your not going to be disappointed with PSU its an Aspire 500W Silent one"

hope that helps

EDIT also i think this is a pic of the ps http://images.ncix.com/displayimage.cfm?id=28668
Last edited by Jeffreyg4 on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joeg_7
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:46 pm

Jeffreyg4 wrote:

i wouldn't trust the PSU on that case.

I've been suggesting things to you for a while now, but thats ok I understand your worried about spending all this money and not being happy with your purchase. Sorry that things have turned "PISSY!!!" lmao. All is well though.

I don't like SLI and here's why..... You need to look at it this way. You buy a 7800GTX now. Once it comes time that a second one makes sense to add, the next gen cards will be out with DX10 and SM 4.0 and other new features. So great you add another 7800GTX and now you have 2 old cards with old technology that will barely keep up with the newest 'top of the line' cards but looks worse cause it can't render new games with the new DX/WGF/SM version.

Considering how nice the rest of your parts are you should upgrade the motherboard to the Asus AN8-E its only $17 more than the A8N5X and uses the NForce4 Ultra chipset. Also the PSU in the Antec Sonata II (Antec SmartPower 2.0 450w) will handle that system fine.
Sempron 64 3100 @ 2430mhz | 512x2 Coarsair XMS DDR400 cl2-3-3-6 1T | DFI LanParty UT NF3 250Gb
x800pro -> softmodded to x800xt pe | Enermax 535W EG565P-VE

Jeffreyg4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:50 pm

thanks for helping me change to a diff mobo and im gonna just get a 7800gt to save money, as for the ps i have aded some info about it ^^ probably wile u were typing you're post LOL

EDIT also LicketySplit can you please tell me why i need a sli board?

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:06 pm

I will second the Sonata II. I, for one, have dealt with Aspire PSU's in cases before, and I cannot recommend that case in good faith. $245 for a case with a so-so PSU is not justifiable.

The Sonata has been designed to COOL and stay Quiet at the same time. The PSU has the juice nad connectors to handle your system very well, and the case is easy to buil in. I don't have one, but I have built 2 recently for others using that case. I'll be building another next week using the Coolermaster Centurion 5 case.

That reminds me . . . I need to get mysel a machine and stop killing myself on this TRUSTY K6-III 450.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Jeffreyg4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:11 pm

alright sonata 2 it is! now is there anything else i may need? ( i already have minitor and printer and speakers and keyboard and mouse)

EDIT how good is this ram? http://www.ncix.com/products/productdet ... ?sku=11443

Joeg_7
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:24 pm

Jeffreyg4 wrote:
alright sonata 2 it is! now is there anything else i may need? ( i already have minitor and printer and speakers and keyboard and mouse)

EDIT how good is this ram? http://www.ncix.com/products/productdet ... ?sku=11443

Should be fine, OCZ has been putting out good sticks last I heard.
Sempron 64 3100 @ 2430mhz | 512x2 Coarsair XMS DDR400 cl2-3-3-6 1T | DFI LanParty UT NF3 250Gb
x800pro -> softmodded to x800xt pe | Enermax 535W EG565P-VE

Jeffreyg4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:02 am

ok well whats better for games? that ram above or kingston hyperX?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:03 am

Jeffreyg4
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:28 am

ok. now heres a big decision. Get a 4400x2 with a 7800gt or get a 3800x2 with a 7800gtx? wich would be smarter to get?

EDIT or is it worth it to dump the sound blaster audigy 2 and switch the gt to the gtx? cause i dont really think i need a sound card, im sure for games onboard will do right?
Last edited by Jeffreyg4 on Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.