Transition from LLano to Trinity

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Transition from LLano to Trinity

Postposted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:33 pm

The gleem in my eye is looking toward building a low/mid level trinity next year. I have been lurking this site for some time. Thought I was ready to build a 955 BE unit to convert my photos and slides to digital for my kids and grandkids. May just use "elements or essentials" to do mild touch-up, using "auto" modes. Scanner blogs suggest a lengthy time required to render photos, so I am thinking a mid-range processor might speed up the process a little.

Then Llano came with improved built-in graphics and what some call ok CPU power. The A-8 APU might serve my purposes, as I am not a big gamer.

Then Bulldozer starts plowing to the forfront with increased horsepower.Trinity is announced for next year. I understand Trinity will come only with the lower end Bulldozers. Seems to me this is what I want to end up with.

Problem is I would like to get started next month. Will Llano motherboards be able to seat future Bulldozer APU? Will I be able to use Llano memory with future Bulldozer APU? Bottom line, I would like to see the best way to transition from something to trinty, with most, if not all parts brought forward.
semi-techie
Gerbil In Training

Re: Transition from LLano to Trinity

Postposted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:53 pm

No one here can answer your question for sure, but if I know AMD as well as I think I do, the socket will probably be forward compatible. AMD has been using a more conservative strategy that many enthusiasts love, especially overclockers.

This is not to say that AMD will not have an updated chipset that comes with Trinity, they probably will and it will probably offer some features that you will require an upgrade to have. Personally I just don't like to stay on older chipsets.
Intel Core i7-875K, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, Win 7 Home Premium
MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair TX650
Cooler Master Hyper 212+, Logitech Z-2300, ASUS Xonar DX
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, Dell Ultrasharp U2410, Antec P183
DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:32 pm

According to Fudzilla, the upcoming Komodo and Trinity chips will use the FXm socket, so if true, no backwards compatibility:

http://fudzilla.com/home/item/23056-lea ... 2-playbook
Dell XPS 8100 - Core i7 860 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - Gigabyte HD 7850 - 1.5TB 7200rpm HDD - Acer 20" LED monitor (1600*900) - 350W PSU
ultima_trev
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:09 pm

ultima_trev wrote:According to Fudzilla, the upcoming Komodo and Trinity chips will use the FXm socket, so if true, no backwards compatibility:

You do know that 'x' in FMx is where a number goes, just like the AM* series of sockets are called AMx.

So, according to the Bit-tech article linked on Fudzilla, Komodo will have integrated PCI-E, since it will use a FM* socket. I was hoping that Komdo would use a LGA type socket, similar to C32/G34 (or triple channel like the upcoming C2012)...
JMccovery
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:45 pm

ultima_trev wrote:According to Fudzilla, the upcoming Komodo and Trinity chips will use the FXm socket, so if true, no backwards compatibility:

That's just because the sockets will use frequency modulation instead of amplitude modulation.

EDIT: Sorry, bad joke?
Intel Core i7-875K, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, Win 7 Home Premium
MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair TX650
Cooler Master Hyper 212+, Logitech Z-2300, ASUS Xonar DX
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, Dell Ultrasharp U2410, Antec P183
DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Transition from Llano to Trinity

Postposted on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks for input. Finding tech information can be difficult. Reminds me of the film "Holes" I will just continue to dig!
semi-techie
Gerbil In Training

Re: Transition from Llano to Trinity

Postposted on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:27 pm

What specifically are you trying to find out? Architectural configuration? Microarchitecture? New instructions? Socket differences? Chipsets? Pricing?

Many things aren't yet known, even to AMD. And many of the things they do know, they won't want to say just yet (the Osborne Effect can still be real, especially when you don't have a billion-dollar marketing machine that can make the mainstream look at one thing even as you roll out information on the next thing)
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Re: Transition from Llano to Trinity

Postposted on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Sorry..senior moment and posted rather than replyed. Should have been in thread I started with same title. Uber Gerbil must be a doctor to diagnose my falling prey to the Osborne Effect. LOL . Am glad to have learned a new term to add to my 75 year experiences. I am just trying to plan a route from a nearly dead computer to one which I can convert my photos and slides to digital. Was hoping to build a unit to start the process and then update to Trinity next year. Should I be planning to need to update both the motherboard and the APU and possibly the memory speed? Was hoping there would not be a need to replace motherboard or memory. Some suggest it is too soon to know. Have followed this site for some time (its a great site) and hoped someone had found some info I had missed on some other blogs.
semi-techie
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:01 am

Threads merged.

There's a reasonable expectation that Trinity should work in the same FM1 socket as Lllano.

Build what you need today. When it's no longer adequate, you can upgrade.

If you put a Deneb processor like the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition on a socket-AM3+ motherboard like the M5A88-M, you could upgrade to Bulldozer rather than Trinity.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Return to System Builders Anonymous