I designed and constructed my system only to see it not post

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

I designed and constructed my system only to see it not post

Postposted on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:38 am

This is my fourth build and I thought I was an expert at building systems, but it seems luck played a role in the first three. I put together my rig last nigh and It wouldnt post. I'll explain every facet of what I observed and then I ask you all to help me diagnose the problem.

Components:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TP67XE (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM

Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

CD/DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD322HJ 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Case w/Fans: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Monitor: ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor

So, here is the story of this build. I put everything together. I noticed the motherboard had a place for two 8-pin connectors, but upon reading the manual it stated that having both connected was not necessary, so I just hooked up one 8-pin to the motherboard(this PSU doesnt have two that i could use for it). The video card has two 6pin connectors the go into it and the PSU had the connections for that.

After everything was properly wired I hit the power button and the rig turned on for about half a second. This is the only time this happened. I hit the power a second time and everything springs to life, but nothin is being transmitted through the dvi cable to the monitor and I here no system beep(don't know if this doesnt happen on some MOBOs. At this point I want to punch a baby.

I cut power and double check and triple check every connection in the computer. DIMMs, video card, power cords, etc. No go.

So, I try to get all the status information i can with no screen output. Basically the mobo post status like to switch between displaying 33 and 32. Also the power status indicators gave me some more information. VTTLED 2 was not illuminated. All other power status lights were. The MOBO booklet didn't specify what that meant, so I was hoping y'all would know. AFter the system was running for two or three minutes six of the power status indicators started flickering a bit.

Also, during this time I disconnected all non essential devices to see if the PSU was not outputting enough power. I disconnected the all usb connected devices, CD/DVD, HDD, one DIMM, and the case fans. Still no go.

The system was not dark when I turned it on. Some components were running. When the power was turned on the mouse, keyboard, case fans, cpu fan, video card fan, cd/dvd, and hdd all were observed to have been receiving power. The monitor just continued to read "no dvi input".

That is all of the information I got from last night adventure. Please help me identify my problem.
proteininja
Gerbil In Training

Re: I designed and constructed my system only to see it not

Postposted on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:09 am

Double check to see if the video card has any special requirements and I would see if a different video card works.
It sounds like the video card is DOA.

Another possibility is the ram is not seated properly, take em out and re-seat them.

Also make sure you do not have any metal main board spacers where you do not have a screw hole. You might be shorting out the board. (been there done that)

Be sure there is a fan hooked to CPU fan header some mainboards in the past have required there be one before the board boots for the first time.

Finally this board might be a refurb/repack sold as new. Try clearing the bios.
I wish to see things not as they are but as they should be.
Aranarth
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:12 am

I will check the video card.

The RAM is most certainly seated. I triple checked.

No shorts, but I'll check again.

CPU fan is hooked to MOBO.

How do I clear the bios?
proteininja
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:25 am

There is a jumper that should be labeled something like CMOS reset or clear CMOS.

It may even be that the jumper is set to clear CMOS.

Try 1 stick of RAM, also. Then repeat. You just may have a bad stick.

Last thing I would check: do you have all of your headers plugged in right side up? You may be shorting them.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 100/2, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:28 am

headers? do you mean from the case to the mobo? or do you mean the power cables. Because its pretty much impossible to plug most of the power cables in upside down.
proteininja
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:44 am

The flickering power indicators concern me; that seems like an indication of power problems. RAIDMAX does not exactly have the best rep in the PSU business either, adding to the concern.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:06 am

just brew it! wrote:The flickering power indicators concern me; that seems like an indication of power problems. RAIDMAX does not exactly have the best rep in the PSU business either, adding to the concern.

X2, plus i would also check that mobo, it might be DOA.
Intel i5 4670K @ 4.8GHZ|ATI Radeon HD 7970 (Stock)| 12 GB RAM (Stock)| Xtreme Music with G500 5.1 | Panasonic "TH-L42E60" @ 120 HZ.
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:31 am

Jigar wrote:
just brew it! wrote:The flickering power indicators concern me; that seems like an indication of power problems. RAIDMAX does not exactly have the best rep in the PSU business either, adding to the concern.

X2, plus i would also check that mobo, it might be DOA.

How could I even tell?
proteininja
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:04 am

Welcome to the world of PC engineers.

OK this is what I would do if it was me... try and isolate components.

It helps if you have a spare system to borrow parts from.

1. Clear CMOS (check manual how to do that) - and disconnect ALL cables going into the motherboard apart from the POWER button cable, ATX Power, CPU power and the video card power cables.
2. Try to power on the motherboard outside of the case to ensure there is definitely no shorts anywhere.
3. Memory - use one stick, alternate sticks. Use different (known to be working) memory from a different system.
4. PSU - swap it with a different one.
... and carry on per part until it becomes clear which component or factor is causing the non-boot.

Definitely could be a fried motherboard or PSU problems though but don't rule ANYTHING out. Once built a system and the POWER button cable was causing a short!
Not bragging but worked for a e-tailer that sold a lot of PC systems, I have built hundreds, probably thousands of systems (and QA'd all systems we built) whilst I was there (4 underpaid years, overworked years.) Even now I still HATE it when a PC is built and it doesn't POST - however over 80% will POST after diagnosing the issue. Sometimes however it is terminal (a dead component).

Good luck!!

EDIT: axeman got there just before me ;)
tahir2
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:59 pm

What PSU or Motherboard do you guys suggest for this build? In general, which brands should I trust for each?
proteininja
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:36 am

I switched out the video card for another one and it posted. The card was a little less power intensive, but it was almost certainly a dead video card. I didn't want to take the extra time to verify, so we got rid of both and ordered a new corsair 650W and a working card.
proteininja
Gerbil In Training

Return to System Builders Anonymous