The time has come. *update*

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

The time has come. *update*

Postposted on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:02 pm

I finally have a good budget saved up for my PC. Let's call it $1000. Remember, this is to supplement/replace my 360 as my primary means of gaming. I plan on playing BF3, ME3, TOR, and maybe EVE and Witcher 2 (which was recommended to me by some friends and a dude at Gamestop who always knows what's up with games).

Here's what I have:
Silverstone SG05 w/ 450W PSU - The smaller the better, as I will be transporting often.
ASRock H67M-ITX - That new Zotac Z68 board is nice and all, but it's also pricey and mostly unavailable. I really won't have a need to overclock anyway.
Biostar Radeon HD 6870 - Great deal for a great card with a blower-style cooler, which I would think is best for such a small case.
Intel Core i5-2500 - No need for the K version, since I can't/don't need to overclock. I'm sure a 3.7GHz Sandy Bridge will blaze through anything I throw at it.
OCZ Agility 3 60GB - I know I probably won't be able to fit ALL of those games on it, but as long as the one I play the most (probably BF3) can fit I'm happy.
G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1333 8GB (2 x 4GB) - Yes, there are cheaper pairs. Call me crazy, but it seems like a build like this would necessitate as much heat dissipation as possible. These have a nice, big heatsink on them.
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Duh.
Lite-On Slim DVD Burner - Duh again. There's a Sony model that's a buck or two more, but everything I've ever owned from Sony has broken shortly after I bought it. I just don't trust them.
Scythe SCSMZ-2000 92mm CPU Cooler - One of the few coolers that (presumably) would fit in that case and isn't completely anemic. I was also looking at the CM unit with a similar design, but that one has four heatpipes to the Scythe's six for only three bucks less. The Scythe also appears to have a beefier heatsink. I would ALSO imagine that since it's Scythe, it's pretty darn quiet. That's just an assumption though.

Other than that, I just need a KB and mouse. I have a 22" 1680x1050 that I will keep until it dies. I can get a Win7 Ultimate 64-bit key for free, and I already have a really nice surround sound headset which connects using an optical cable. I was thinking for the keyboard, I have an old standard one lying around that still works. That tempts me to grab the Razer Nostromo gamepad and a Deathadder for the mouse. I have traditionally been all about Logitech, but I've read a lot of reviews that say the G13 doesn't come close to the Nostromo when it comes to comfort and key placement. Also, I have the Razer Onza 360 controller that I plan on using when I connect to my 32" TV in the living room. Can't mix Razer and Logitech, that would just be blasphemy.

Anywho, thanks for any help. If I missed something or am wrong about something or you have a better recommendation for something, PLEASE let me know. I've been dying to build this for years now but never really had the money. I want it to go without a hitch.
Last edited by ALiLPinkMonster on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:15 pm

You should verify that the motherboard you're buying won't have any issues with your heatsink. That is, when I had my mITX rig the CPU socket was close to the PCIe x16 slot. Larger blow-down style coolers would extend out far enough from the CPU socket that they would block the expansion slot. In my case this meant I using Scythe's original Shuriken and not it's bigger brother. Specifically my build was a Core i5 750 with a HD5770 and Gigabyte mITX motherboard. It was a well known issues, some forum searching should bring up any potential problems.

mITX is awesome. I miss my little box, I sold that build foolishly. The SG05 is a shockingly good case in my opinion. Cools just fine, moderately quiet and the PSU cables can be tucked out the way in the area around the optical drive. I personally got better thermal results with the PSU flipped around from how it came stock.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:37 am
Location: Missouri

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Have you thought about a Shuttle barebones system?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101117

Back when I was into Shuttle's, we would reverse the airflow to provide better CPU cooling. Doing so would mean you could use a Corsair Hxx cpu cooler. Might be worth considering.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 17-35/2.8-4 D, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2144
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 8:22 pm
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:32 pm

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:Intel Core i5-2500 - No need for the K version, since I can't/don't need to overclock. I'm sure a 3.7GHz Sandy Bridge will blaze through anything I throw at it.


Personal choice i understand, but if K version is just $20 more and mobo supports overclocking than why not ? Yes, today it is blazing fast, but may be tomorrow those extra MHZs would make a lot of difference. I am sure, i would have upgraded my Q6600 years ago, if i had not overclocked it.

EDIT: BTW, sandys are way more easy to Overclock than past Intel chips.
Intel i5 4670K @ 4.0GHZ|ATI Radeon HD 7970| 12 GB RAM| Xtreme Music with G500 5.1 | Panasonic "TH-L42E60".
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4588
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:00 pm

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Skyring wrote:You should verify that the motherboard you're buying won't have any issues with your heatsink. That is, when I had my mITX rig the CPU socket was close to the PCIe x16 slot. Larger blow-down style coolers would extend out far enough from the CPU socket that they would block the expansion slot. In my case this meant I using Scythe's original Shuriken and not it's bigger brother. Specifically my build was a Core i5 750 with a HD5770 and Gigabyte mITX motherboard. It was a well known issues, some forum searching should bring up any potential problems.

mITX is awesome. I miss my little box, I sold that build foolishly. The SG05 is a shockingly good case in my opinion. Cools just fine, moderately quiet and the PSU cables can be tucked out the way in the area around the optical drive. I personally got better thermal results with the PSU flipped around from how it came stock.

I couldn't find anything by searching around for the specific board and cooler, but just looking at it I don't think there will be an issue. If anything I'll do a little space assessment when I have them in hand, and if it does turn out to be an issue I'll return it and find something that fits.

Yeah, I'm so glad such a potent gaming rig can fit in such a tiny case. Portability was the main reason (aside from price) that I switched to the 360 for gaming. I'm considering attaching a little metal handle to the top :)
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:48 pm

TheEmrys wrote:Have you thought about a Shuttle barebones system?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101117

Back when I was into Shuttle's, we would reverse the airflow to provide better CPU cooling. Doing so would mean you could use a Corsair Hxx cpu cooler. Might be worth considering.


That costs quite a bit more than the SG05/H67M-ITX, and is quite a bit larger.

TheEmrys wrote:Personal choice i understand, but if K version is just $20 more and mobo supports overclocking than why not ? Yes, today it is blazing fast, but may be tomorrow those extra MHZs would make a lot of difference. I am sure, i would have upgraded my Q6600 years ago, if i had not overclocked it.

EDIT: BTW, sandys are way more easy to Overclock than past Intel chips.

AFAIK, you can't manipulate the multipliers on a H67 chipset anyway. I would totally go for the Zotac Z68-ITX board, but it's a little under a hundred smackers more than the ASRock I chose. Add that to the $20 premium for the 2500K and the extra $30 for a Corsair H60 which I would find a way to fit in the front intake and suddenly I'm digging into my college fund.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:05 pm

Out of curiosity, are you dead-set on that PSU? It's listed at $120 on Newegg, but I know that you can find similarly priced units from higher quality brands and with greater efficiency ratings. From a cursory search I found the following:
Thermaltake 850W with 80PlusBronze certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153106
Thermaltake 450W with 80PlusBronze certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153138
....
And the list goes on. You can even save a few bucks with that last one and get a more efficient unit.
skialex25
Gerbil
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:10 pm

skialex25 wrote:Out of curiosity, are you dead-set on that PSU? It's listed at $120 on Newegg, but I know that you can find similarly priced units from higher quality brands and with greater efficiency ratings. From a cursory search I found the following:
Thermaltake 850W with 80PlusBronze certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153106
Thermaltake 450W with 80PlusBronze certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153138
....
And the list goes on. You can even save a few bucks with that last one and get a more efficient unit.


His selected PSU includes a case or something like that.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:37 am
Location: Missouri

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:05 pm

skialex25 wrote:Out of curiosity, are you dead-set on that PSU? It's listed at $120 on Newegg, but I know that you can find similarly priced units from higher quality brands and with greater efficiency ratings. From a cursory search I found the following:
Thermaltake 850W with 80PlusBronze certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153106
Thermaltake 450W with 80PlusBronze certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153138
....
And the list goes on. You can even save a few bucks with that last one and get a more efficient unit.

Lol. It's not a power supply it's a mini itx case with a small, high efficiency power supply. I've seen builds involving an i7 and a GTX570 in this thing so this is definitely doable.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:48 am

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:
skialex25 wrote:Out of curiosity, are you dead-set on that PSU? It's listed at $120 on Newegg, but I know that you can find similarly priced units from higher quality brands and with greater efficiency ratings. From a cursory search I found the following:
Thermaltake 850W with 80PlusBronze certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153106
Thermaltake 450W with 80PlusBronze certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153138
....
And the list goes on. You can even save a few bucks with that last one and get a more efficient unit.

Lol. It's not a power supply it's a mini itx case with a small, high efficiency power supply. I've seen builds involving an i7 and a GTX570 in this thing so this is definitely doable.


Hahaha! That's actually funny. My bad.
skialex25
Gerbil
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:59 am

skialex25 wrote:
ALiLPinkMonster wrote:
skialex25 wrote:Out of curiosity, are you dead-set on that PSU? It's listed at $120 on Newegg, but I know that you can find similarly priced units from higher quality brands and with greater efficiency ratings. From a cursory search I found the following:
Thermaltake 850W with 80PlusBronze certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153106
Thermaltake 450W with 80PlusBronze certification http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153138
....
And the list goes on. You can even save a few bucks with that last one and get a more efficient unit.

Lol. It's not a power supply it's a mini itx case with a small, high efficiency power supply. I've seen builds involving an i7 and a GTX570 in this thing so this is definitely doable.


Hahaha! That's actually funny. My bad.

Yeah I was like "what the hell is he... oh. It kinda does appear to be a power supply at first glance."

Anyway, it appears that I have everything squared away. I will be ordering this weekend. Can't flippin wait! Will post build pics.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:53 am

Cheap Power supply=TIMEBOMB....had 3 systems die thx to PSU.
I only buy top rated HX Corsair or Seasonic these days.
CaptTomato
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:12 am
Location: Australia

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:20 am

CaptTomato wrote:Cheap Power supply=TIMEBOMB....had 3 systems die thx to PSU.
I only buy top rated HX Corsair or Seasonic these days.


It's a 80 Plus certified SFX power supply from Silverstone. Look up reviews. It's a very efficient and reliable unit.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:56 am

System looks awesome. I have been wanting to build one just like it for some time but haven't had the cash.

Wouldn't change a thing except:
Bigger SSD - I would step up to a 120 if it was me. I have a 120 and could barely fit anything on it as far as games. However I also didn't notice much of a difference between the SSD and a Caviar Black as far as game load times.
Ditch the Optical - this is a personal opinion but I haven't use a cd/dvd in a few years. Maybe pick up an external to save space inside?
DrkSide
Gerbil
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:16 pm

DrkSide wrote:System looks awesome. I have been wanting to build one just like it for some time but haven't had the cash.

Wouldn't change a thing except:
Bigger SSD - I would step up to a 120 if it was me. I have a 120 and could barely fit anything on it as far as games. However I also didn't notice much of a difference between the SSD and a Caviar Black as far as game load times.
Ditch the Optical - this is a personal opinion but I haven't use a cd/dvd in a few years. Maybe pick up an external to save space inside?

My plan for the SSD is to grab a second 60 gig down the road and RAID 0 those mothers. I'm fine with keeping the majority of my games on the HDD as long as BF3 and the OS will fit on the SSD.

I thought about ditching the optical, but I have a thing about purchasing my games on a disc. God forbid something bad happens and I have to reinstall a DRM-riddled game, the only proof of me purchasing said game being somewhere in cyberspace.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:37 pm

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:My plan for the SSD is to grab a second 60 gig down the road and RAID 0 those mothers. I'm fine with keeping the majority of my games on the HDD as long as BF3 and the OS will fit on the SSD.

I thought about ditching the optical, but I have a thing about purchasing my games on a disc. God forbid something bad happens and I have to reinstall a DRM-riddled game, the only proof of me purchasing said game being somewhere in cyberspace.


If you plan on RAID 0 with another SSD I would definitley ditch the optical in favor of an external one. The SG-05 only has 1x3.5, 1x2.5, and 1 slim optical. As crammed as it is already going to be throw the other SSD in the optical space.

IMO
DrkSide
Gerbil
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:49 pm

DrkSide wrote:
ALiLPinkMonster wrote:My plan for the SSD is to grab a second 60 gig down the road and RAID 0 those mothers. I'm fine with keeping the majority of my games on the HDD as long as BF3 and the OS will fit on the SSD.

I thought about ditching the optical, but I have a thing about purchasing my games on a disc. God forbid something bad happens and I have to reinstall a DRM-riddled game, the only proof of me purchasing said game being somewhere in cyberspace.


If you plan on RAID 0 with another SSD I would definitley ditch the optical in favor of an external one. The SG-05 only has 1x3.5, 1x2.5, and 1 slim optical. As crammed as it is already going to be throw the other SSD in the optical space.

IMO


I didn't even think of that. I guess I can live with using an external. Seeing that empty slot is gonna bug the hell out of me though...
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:56 pm

I was always trying to come up with something for the empty slot but never could. If anyone has ideas put them out there.

Edit: Possibly retrofit a card reader into it? Nothing on the search for 5.25 slim devices.
DrkSide
Gerbil
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm thinking about ditching the SSD altogether. I mean, would I really miss it? If the difference in boot and load times is only a few seconds, and I'm going to be waiting for other people to load in online games anyway, is it really worth it? I've never been very comfortable with paying almost $2/GB, and I could use that money for a new headset (my Trittons are falling apart). Plus, I can always add an SSD later.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Hang on a tick...

ASRock wrote:Supported CPU Technologies:
Supports Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology
Supports Intel K-Series unlocked CPU
Supports Hyper-Threading Technology


Wat? This is either a mistake, a very misleading technicality, or an awesome little add-on. The product page on ASRock's website has all kinds of disclaimers for other specifications, but not for this one. It even lists an included overclocking utility. Is it possible that ASRock has enabled multiplier manipulation on a H67 chipset?
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:59 pm

I don't think this is anything more than a marketing saying. Basically it says that it supports processors with unlocked multipliers but the chipset does not support changing the multiplier.

On the SSD. It really depends on what you use the machine for. If it is just for gaming I am not sure that I would choose an SSD. However, if it is a multi use machine it is up to you. I do gaming but also run quite a few Adobe applications and other things that it really shines at doing.
DrkSide
Gerbil
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: The time has come.

Postposted on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:09 pm

DrkSide wrote:I don't think this is anything more than a marketing saying. Basically it says that it supports processors with unlocked multipliers but the chipset does not support changing the multiplier.

On the SSD. It really depends on what you use the machine for. If it is just for gaming I am not sure that I would choose an SSD. However, if it is a multi use machine it is up to you. I do gaming but also run quite a few Adobe applications and other things that it really shines at doing.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Just making sure.

I'll just skip the SSD. This is almost exclusively a gaming machine, and I'm sure that F3 will be plenty fast. That said, does anyone have experience with Logitech's G930 headset? It's on sale for $90.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Orlando, FL


Return to System Builders Anonymous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests