Instead of parts though, let's discuss timing.
At the beginning of the year, Sandy Bridge and footage of BF3 had me excited about building a new rig. Add in lust for a new case, and anticipation for ATI's 7000 series cards, and I had a rough plan to build some time in september for the forthcoming release.
Now that I'm here, I find I'm looking at two windows. Do I build in September, or around Mid-November?
Yeah, it's the waiting game. Do I get something good now and have more time to enjoy it, or do I try waiting a little longer to see what I can pick up. Originally, I was a NO on Sandy Bridge E, but now that we're "much" closer, it seems like a more tantalizing prospect. Of course, there are rumors of delays and a castrated first-wave release. And if I wait that long, do I want to wait for Ivy Bridge next year...etc. etc. Here are some factorsI've been considering:
- I get married in the first weekend of November. That means I'm not building in October. Too many important personal things to take care of that I don't want to be distracted with waiting for parts, testing and the inevitable RMA/call to support.
- I've been saving every month for the rig (separate from the wedding, which is also covered), and have a larger budget than initially expected. This time around, money's not as much of a limiting factor.
- Along those lines, now's my chance to "go big." And probably not again for a while. Originally, I would have said no to the "Enthusiast" class x58-driven setups. Three years later though, it seems they've held up well, in part justifying some of the excess.
- My current rig is not hurting (Phenom x2 550BE / 5850)
Your thoughts are most welcome, fellow gerbils.