downloadable bootable ISO image of burn-in software?

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

downloadable bootable ISO image of burn-in software?

Postposted on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:42 am

I've never built a PC before but will have the parts together this coming weekend. Is there such a thing as bootable ISO image containing a barebones O/S (DOS or Linux) and software that will tax the system strenuously to test it out for 24 hours and report on any errors? If there are several choices, my preference would be a software package that is well-respected from a trusted website and where the author(s) accept donations through Paypal.
tr888
Gerbil In Training

Re: downloadable bootable ISO image of burn-in software?

Postposted on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:52 am

Ultimate Boot CD?

I've never used it before... but just seems like someone bothered to combine a tonne of stress tests and a barebones linux release into a boot image.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX770 SC ACX | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 8 x64
yogibbear
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:09 am

I use TuffTest-Pro as a preliminary testing software. http://www.tufftest.com/ttp/

It can stress-test pretty much anything -- keyboards, GPU, CPU, Memory, HDDs, etc.. It has quick tests and long tests. I find the hard drive testing feature to be superb for mechanical drives, in particular (I have not used it on an SSD). However, if you want to make sure your system is rock sold stable, you should follow up with additional stress test programs. Memtest86+ is another bootable CD that specifically for testing memory.

Typically what I will do is use TuffTestPro and run long test on the HDD to search for errors, and quick tests on everything else. Then I'll throw in Memtest86+ to run an extended test on the memory. Then I'll install windows and run IntelBurnTest/Linx (windows executable, not bootable) for 20 passes to test the CPU. Lastly I'll run the windows experience index. Believe it or not, it has bluescreened an unstable system where InteBurnTest/Linx did not!

You can take the time to test your GPU too with something like Unigine Heaven benchmark, or FurMark. However, a broken GPU will just corrupt images, not data (unless you're doing computations on it) so I usually just assume the GPU is working fine, and will deal with problems as they come when I'm gaming.

Good luck on your build!
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:52 am

Notfred's diskless folding solution will be a great way to test your CPU. I'm not sure if there is a GPU solution like it or not.
njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks, gerbils, for all the helpful info and the wish of good luck.
tr888
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Ryhadar wrote:Typically what I will do is use TuffTestPro and run long test on the HDD to search for errors, and quick tests on everything else. Then I'll throw in Memtest86+ to run an extended test on the memory.
I'd reverse the order on that -- you should always test memory first, since everything else relies on it. If you have bad memory and don't know it, then you have no idea if errors you're seeing in other tests are what they seem to be, or actually the result of bad memory.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:59 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Ryhadar wrote:Typically what I will do is use TuffTestPro and run long test on the HDD to search for errors, and quick tests on everything else. Then I'll throw in Memtest86+ to run an extended test on the memory.

I'd reverse the order on that -- you should always test memory first, since everything else relies on it. If you have bad memory and don't know it, then you have no idea if errors you're seeing in other tests are what they seem to be, or actually the result of bad memory.

I also kind of wonder how good of a job TuffTestPro is doing on newer hardware. Their web page says "Supports Intel P4, PIII, PII, P1, 486, 386, 286, 8088, 8086 & compatible AMD and Cyrix-based PCs" and "Will identify and test up to 4 gigabytes of memory". So it sounds like it is 32-bit only, and may not be actively maintained any more. Given that 64-bit systems with more than 4GB of RAM are the norm for new builds these days, you really want to run Memtest86+ first just to make sure all the RAM has been exercised.

Edit: Also looks like it doesn't support hard drives >2TB.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:16 pm

I use UBCD4Win to create a bootable XP disc. It includes Prime95 and Memtest86+ in addition to a ton of other useful tools, but I usually update it to include the very latest versions of Prime95, Memtest86+, CPU-Z, and GPU-Z.
GA-EP45-DS3R · E8500@3.8 · Scythe Ninja+ · 8GB G.Skill DDR2-800 · MSI TwinFrozr HD7850 · Corsair VX450 · Antec Solo
180GB i520 SSD · WD1002FAEX · Plextor PX-755SA · HP ZR24w · Intel EXPI9301CT · X-Fi XtremeGamer · Win7/Mint
nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Return to System Builders Anonymous