Should I build or Should I wait?

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Should I build or Should I wait?

Postposted on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi there,
Recently my Athlon x2 5000 black edition on Biostar A780g M2 +Se is giving major problems right now. For some reason it keep shutting down without warning. I thought it was heat so I have a huge fan blowing into the Open Computer case. It work for a while but very annoying.
I thinking about building a new one however I can only afford $300 Canadian dollars. I do have two brand new PSU unit so that would be not the problem plus i can easily get a cheap Computer case.
Here the question.
Should i get this? A4-3400 APU Bundle w/ Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H Motherboard for $129.99 (before $10 rebate) plus Extreme Performance Sector 5 G Series DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-10666 Enhanced Latency Kit for $34.99 Canadian (before $10 rebate for the total of $164.98 Canadian dollars before the bloody tax.
Or should I wait to get :
A Intel i3-2100 cpu around $120 (sale), Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 $129.99 (sale) and Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 $36.99 Canadian dollars. Total is : $287.97 Canadian dollars. before the bloody tax
Or should i wait what boxing day sale has to offer.
Please let me know.
I usually play online games like Team Fortress 2 and Gotten Skyrim but can't play it because of my computer shutting down all the time. I getting Diablo 3 hopefully next year with Mass Effect 3. I am using a Nvidia Geforce 460gt 768MB Video Card right now.
thank
Headloser
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:57 pm

Re: Should I build or Should I wait?

Postposted on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:50 pm

Does your motherboard's temperature monitoring report a high CPU temperature? Is your heatsink clogged with dust bunnies? Is your CPU fan working properly? If your CPU is really getting hot, maybe you need to remove the CPU cooler, clean it and the CPU, apply a thin layer of thermal paste and then re-attach it.

If your motherboard is dying and you need a new one, the Sandy Bridge option is more appealing for a gaming system than the Llano option. A micro-ATX motherboard like the P8Z68-M Pro or Z68MA-D2H-B3 could save you $10-20 vs. an ATX motherboard.

Would you consider the Core i3-2120 for $6 more than the Core i3-2100? It's 200 MHz faster.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15485
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Should I build or Should I wait?

Postposted on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Thank for replying to my message so quickly.
I have clean out the dusk bunnies from the computer case and the Heat sink. I have updated all the driver for the motherboard and graphic card.
I have put on a new layer of thermal grease on the CPU. I even put them on the North Bridge and South Bridge to be sure. Same result.
As for the motherboard's temperature. I haven't a clue since the motherboard's sensor is broken and is unable to find out. Plus I put the Fan output of the Heat sink at maximum level.
www.ncix.com has gotten the core i3-2100 at $119.99 sale price. I would love to get the core i5-2400 but it at $199.99 sale price.
Too bad the AMD Bulldozer FX series are a joke. They could have reduce the prices on Intel Sandy Bridge CPU but since there are no real challenger, Intel does not have to lower their prices.
The LGA2011 socket CPU are way over price and I really don't need that much firepower anyway. Too bad the LGA1155 socket are being phase out next year so the core i3-2120 is already obsoleted. How ironic is that? I replacing my really old obsolete AM2+ computer system with just became obsolete core i3-2120.
Headloser
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:57 pm

Re: Should I build or Should I wait?

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:29 pm

Since you wont be using the IGP on the Llano chip there is no reason to go with that. Llano is an Athlon II CPU with an AMD-6xxx GPU attached to it. The i3-2100 is a very potent gaming cpu. Furthermore, the Ivy-Bridge chips will fit into most 1155 mobos. H67, P67 and Z68 chips for sure with mobos having PCIe 3.0 being a guarantee
http://techreport.com/articles.x/21813/8
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4830/intels-ivy-bridge-architecture-exposed

Computer hardware is always obsolete, what matters is if your hardware can do what you need it to do.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: Should I build or Should I wait?

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:17 pm

On Newegg today:

(Combo deal) AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor HDZ720WFK3DGI - OEM
•Patriot G series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGV38G1600ELK ..... $108

MSI 990XA-GD55 AM3+ AMD 990X ..... $128 ..... NCIX price - 150
XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler ..... $29

Total - $266 ... $237 if you already have a good aftermarket cpu cooler.

The 720 black processor has an insane performance/value ratio and easily overclocks to 3.4 ghz, the MSI board has their premium Military Class II designation which is exceptionally stable and long lasting and is AM3+ ready. The Xigmatech is an EXCELLENT low cost low noise fan added because the 720 CPU is OEM.

I see the exchange rate is almost exactly at par, but not sure if you can order from Newegg?

If not, I took a look at the NCIX site and compared prices (and availability), so feel free to curse me bitterly for posting this then, eh?
spigzone
Gerbil
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:41 am

Re: Should I build or Should I wait?

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:55 pm

spigzone wrote:I'm not sure if you can order from Newegg.com?
Use www.Newegg.ca instead. 8)
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15485
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Should I build or Should I wait?

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Procrastination gets my vote.
Hp h8-1020 i7 Win7 Pro, HyperX 120 GB SSD
too Old & Lazy to build my own
RealityChk
Gerbil
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:37 pm

Re: Should I build or Should I wait?

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:42 pm

spigzone wrote:XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler ..... $29


Not to mention that it's $3 after MIR right now on newegg.com!!!!!
Last edited by DPete27 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: Should I build or Should I wait?

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:27 pm

This should be close to your budget and in Canada, if you have the patience though, I would wait till boxing day, I see this processor in alot of places for 50 to 60 bucks in the states.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103993 $99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128521 $99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104231 $41.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&cm_sp=Cat_Fans_%26%2338%3b_Heatsinks-_-New-_-35-103-065 $39.99


This should do everything you need and with that cooler you should be able to get at least around 3.7 to 3.8 from that cpu, perhaps more.

Enjoy and have patience,lol, sometimes if just a processor is a deal you can't pass up, have faith and grab it, then pick up the other parts:)
credible
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Should I build or Should I wait?

Postposted on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:28 pm

This appears to be more of an upgrade than a new build.
i3 is an option
The amd 955BE cpu could be had for about 105 if you shop around and pricematch, and you can find an 880G mobo with sata 6 and usb 3.0 and some even have the AM3+ cpu compatibility and it has onboard graphics incase you are inbetween vid card upgrade or vid card dies you have back up, which can be had for about $100

I have an AMD 955BE, 8 gigs ram and a radeon 6850 which is about the same as a gtx 460 and I get about 200-300 fps avg. on counter strike source 34 man pub.

I use www.pricebat.ca and www.shopbot.ca to get pricing in Canada
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: Should I build or Should I wait?

Postposted on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:18 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
spigzone wrote:I'm not sure if you can order from Newegg.com?
Use http://www.Newegg.ca instead. 8)


Holy Canucks not getting screwed, Batman!!!!!
spigzone
Gerbil
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:41 am


Return to System Builders Anonymous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests