Decision between two systems

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Decision between two systems

Postposted on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:05 am

Hey guys :)
I would like to ask your opinions on these two systems, which one do you think is better?

- motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L
- CPU: intel core i5-750
- GPU: GeForce GTX 460 SE 1024 MB GDDR5
- RAM: Kingston 4 GB DDR3 1800 Mhz
- HDD: 1000 GB Samsung 5400rpm 32 MB HDD)
- PSU: 460w gigabyte
- case: ATX Mode com Enigma LCD (black)

Or>

-Motherboard: ASrock 870 extreme3
-CPU: AMD athlon II X3 455
-GPU: Powercolor Radeon HD6850 (will crossfire in the future)
-RAM: Crucial 1333mhz 4gb
-HDD: 250Gb Samsung (because of flooding, will buy used one)
-PSU: chieftec 500w
-case: Thermaltake V3 Black edition

I`m kind of stuck between the two, the first i would be buying from a friend, the second one i would build myself.
any opinoins are appreciated :)

oh and.. Happy holidays!!! :D
"it's a wonderfull day for pie"
Marty_man_X
Gerbil

Re: Decision between two systems

Postposted on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:47 am

Tough call. My thoughts:

- The AMD ought to have a CPU performance edge on most applications that don't take advantage of 4 cores; but for heavily multi-threaded or multi-tasking situations, and apps which are extremely dependent on raw memory bandwidth, the Intel probably wins.

- The 5400 RPM hard drive on the Intel system is a non-trivial bottleneck for anything disk-intensive.

- I trust Gigabyte motherboards more than I trust Asrock.

- The video cards are essentially a wash.

- I do *not* trust used hard drives.

Edit: On further reflection, my recommendation is to go with the Intel system, but upgrade the system drive to a 7200 RPM HDD (or SSD if you can afford it).
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:56 am

well the thing is If i do go with the intel system i will have no money to upgrade the drive, also on the AMD system i will unlock the cpu giving me 4 cores altogether, as for the GPU i heard that the GTX 460 SE is not as good as and HD 6850 (correct me if i`m wrong )
also I could crossfire the HD6850 in the future. As for the HDD being used, i am getting it from a good friend, and it has a 2 year warranty on it.
"it's a wonderfull day for pie"
Marty_man_X
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Sorry, I happen to strongly disagree with JBI's advice:

The i5-760 is better than the x3-455 in almost every aspect INCLUDING single threaded applications. You should have a look through this article that discusses bulldozer and look for your competitors on each chart. Here is a direct comparison between the 760 and the 455 that backs up my point. Also, do not just assume that you'll be able to unlock the 4th core on a x3-455, I did a budget build for my brother with one in June 2011 and couldn't get the 4th core unlocked on an asus board.

AsRock is a very good company and they make boards that consistently get very good reviews (preferred over gigabyte often).

A 6850 will be generally better than a regular 460 1GB, let alone an SE model. The 6850 is also cheaper than a GTX 460.

I do agree that a 5400 rpm hdd will not be "optimal." In light of the high cost of mechanical hdd's I would support perhaps grabbing even a 90GB SSD. You can get these for around $110 on sales and would be a HUGE improvement over a hdd. You can then use the hdd as a storage drive.

I would recommend checking out TR's System Guide or perusing the TR System Builder forums for budget build threads to get ideas on a from scratch build. That Chieftec PSU makes me a little nervous, I would go with something from Antec or Corsair. Also, if you're building yourself a system, go with 8gb of ram. You may not need it right now, but its only about $13 more than a 4gb kit.

Lastly, if you're spending....$500? for your friend's used rig you may be paying too much, I would try talking him/her down. TR's Econobox build for ~$600 would easily outgame your friends computer. (Obviously the econobox price doesnt include an OS, etc.) Not sure what you're using the computer for, but hey, don't spend more than its worth just because its from a friend. Your friend's system hardware (that you've listed) only cost about $650 new. (I guessed the case price at $50)
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:34 am

Wait, what? Is the original post from the end of 2010 or 2011? What's with that choice of CPU/mobo?
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:17 am

If these two systems are roughly equal in price, then your friend is ripping you off.

The two systems are in the same performance ballpark, but one is used, so it should be considerably cheaper.

Hey, do you want to buy some bacon? I have half of an opened 16-rasher pack which isn't too old, or I have a fresh, unopened 8-rasher pack. Either one is yours for 2 bucks
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to System Builders Anonymous