Looking for monitor recommendation

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Looking for monitor recommendation

Postposted on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:15 pm

About a year ago, I built a machine based on the i7-2600K using, in part, TR recommendations.

Then about a month of thoroughly enjoying my new toy, my monitor died. It was kind of a blessing as the monitor was the only part of the chain that wasn't HDCP compliant, and I was already looking for a new one. At the time, I replaced it with an old 1024x768 lying around and I can't take it anymore, I have to go back up to the good stuff...

When I was last looking I was able to find some reviews that said that the Dell UltraSharp U2711 was a sight to behold, and now I'm asking if this is still true?

Full specs here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824260038

I'm looking for near the same specs, ~27", dual-link DVI, 2K-ish resolution, you know... Thing of beauty... But my google-fu seems week regarding reliable monitor recommendations from people who know what they're talking about. Is this model still worth getting? My limit is $1,000, but I don't have to spend that, if the best is $800, then I'm happy.

Thanks!
-Carl
Carl
Gerbil In Training

Re: Looking for monitor recommendation

Postposted on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:40 pm

The Dell is very nice, but these days it's a pricey way to get your high-res fix. You could get three eIPS screens for less money.
Are you also hooked on IPS displays? slow response and input lag do not make action movies or gaming much fun.

You mention 2K screens, which is 1920x1080. The Ultrasharp at 2560 x 1440 is more like 4K. If you just want something vivid and huge, there are no shortage of good 27" 1080p screens on the market for less than half the price, and if your requirements for a screen involve gaming, sport or fast-moving images, you're almost certainly better avoiding the Ultrasharp.

I'm not a screen expert by any means, but to make a screen recommendation I need to at least know what you want the screen for. Gaming, work, media? What type of games, what type of work, how many people watching at once?

If you definitely want the 27", 4K IPS screen then it's the Dell or the Apple Cinema display. There are cheaper 27" 4K screens from brands like Hasro, but when you're spending that much money you don't want it to feel cheap.

Personally, I'd go with a triple 24" setup, for 6 Megapixels of desktop. I haven't done this myself (just running 2x Samsung 245T) but if I had 3 screens I would get one TN screen and two eIPS screens, the TN being in the centre because what it offers in response-time and contrast ratios, it lacks in viewing angles and colour accuracy. But hey, that's just me and I'm sure my needs are different to other people's
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:54 am

Phew. You helped me dodge a bullet there.

What I'd like to get out of the monitor, in order, is: Gaming, Blu-Ray movies, followed by office type software (Word, web browser, etc). So I'm more interested in refresh speed and clarity but also something that has a nice display for ClearType so I don't go blind when typing. I type a lot and this 1024x768 sucker has a little bit of rainbow on the letters.

As for 2560 x 1440 being 4K, I'll admit my lack of knowledge here. I buy monitors so infrequently, I never know what's good. The last one that died was a View Sonic 1600x1200, that I was crazy about.

I can't do a multi-monitor setup. My desk's too small. Also, I'm not really a fan.

Thanks!
-Carl
Carl
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:39 am

Don't waste your hard-earned money on any nasty TN LCD monitors. There are plenty of good IPS LCD monitors to choose from. Select one that has low input lag, and you'll have a fine gaming experience.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:13 am

Take a look at www.flatpanelshd.com. They seem reliable, and have recommendations for different uses. The Ultrasharp is still on the recommended list for graphics/photography.
haugland
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:25 am

I just got a Dell 2410, and (at my suggestion) my friend did, as well. One of the great things about Dell is they have a no-questions-asked return policy (21 days, I think). His monitor was initially fine but after a couple days developed 2 dead pixels. So he returned it and bought a new one, which (so far) is flawless. That's with no 15% restocking fee, or shipping costs, or anything, which is better than Newegg, Fry's, and so forth. Mine, incidentally, has no dead pixels, but it's something that always worries me when considering buying a monitor online.

Anyway! I was worried that the IPS monitor, claiming a 6ms gtg response time, would be too slow, since those numbers are always totally fabricated. But I have no problems with ghosting or afterimages - it feels to me just as good as the 2ms response-time compensated TN Samsung that I bought for my parents. I don't notice any input lag, either. And, of course, it has that wonderful 16x10 resolution!

If you intend to do any gaming, pushing your resolution much beyond 2 megapixels is not really a good idea, in my opinion... games will be slow at native resolution (and for example, running a game at 1600x900 on this monitor looks like a horrible blurry mess, so you never want to go non-native-rez). Also, 1920x1200 displays HD movies without scaling, unlike a 2560x1440 monitor. Scaling is much less noticeable in movies compared to games, but still not desirable.

Anyway~

This 2410 looks really nice. It only has 2 flaws that I notice:

1) The very bottom of the screen - say, bottom 20 pixels - are slightly darker than the rest of the screen. Not enough to be problematic, and less bad than the bottom ~50 pixels on the Samsung LCD being brighter than the rest of the screen.
2) The power button is annoying. Bright blue LED that I will cover with black tape soon. And its position makes it easy to push accidentally, powering off the monitor, if you try to reach for things behind the monitor on the right side.

Those are very minor problems - nothing severe like flicker, input lag, ghosting, buzzing (as in audible noise that many monitors produce), and so forth. The colors are vibrant, and the viewing angles are substantially better than TN. Best LCD I have ever used, and finally a worthy successor to my 11-year-old 19-inch flatscreen NEC CRT that was my primary monitor until last Wednesday!
Saber Cherry
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:00 am

Any thoughts about the Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D?

This one seems to meet everyone's recommendations, and I have to say, the 90 degree tilt is attractive for the aforementioned typing I have to do.

It's running about a grand right now. Cnet gives it a good review.

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/sa ... 18743.html
-Carl
Carl
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:11 am

The cheaper Dell monitors are just "Alright". I'd actual prefer many other brands over them when it comes to quality/performance. But if your looking in the 300+ range for Dell monitors, like say a 2xxx horizontal resolution, then they are pretty solid. I'm extremely critical of Dell as their low-mid range stuff seems to me some of the worst junk on the market, but I have to hand it to some of their higher end stuff.

I currently own a lowly Dell ST2420L. It was a gift a year ago from a co-worker/contract who I had worked with. Was brand new as a Christmas present actually, sort of a bonus :). Well... its got none of the bells and whistles of the monitors your talking about, but its be "OK"... Its big, its 1920x1080, has HDMI and DVI and VGA. Has a very modest 5ms response rate, is an TN panel not IPS... Its nothing to write home about. For the 199.99 that Dell is asking, I would have never purchased it myself. I do have a very distinct dead pixel on the screen and believe me I tried everything include JScreen Fix. But for the low low price of free, I'm happy enough :P.

If I were to buy a new monitor today (also gaming). I'd prefer nothing larger than a 24" monitor. If you've been used to using something bigger than more power to you. The issue is that if you don't sit far enough away from your monitor, your going to see imperfections and it actually makes the gaming experience very crappy. The other thing that bothers me when people are buying "Gaming" screens is they go for the largest thing possible without paying ANY attention to the refresh rates. You want a monitor that will do no less than 75hz HORIZONTAL. If you can find detailed specs about a monitor (and they are getting harder to find, for some reason), make sure you read the "Vertical/Horizontal" refresh rates. Find a detailed specs page or manual if you have to, most places only want to list the basics and all of the useless fake features of a monitor. Like mine lists "8,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio!"....... ummm ya right, estimated by whom?

Reason being is that I noticed you've got an I7-2600k, so I'm assuming you have a video card to match that price point. If you can pump out more than 60fps in your games, you want to be able to see that, otherwise you wasted your money on a video card capable of pushing today's games out past 60fps.

I also attempt to cut out ALL of the extra BS in monitors. If you have the choice between one with built in speakers or a webcam and not, usually take the one without (obviously do the research first). Generally speaking they had to cut costs/quality from the actual display to add those features. I buy a monitor to be a monitor, not a 4 port USB hub, microphone jack, webcam or speakers.

Unfortunately which brand to tell you to go for... That I can't do. I never dabble with those higher end monitors, I've never seen a need to spend 500 bucks on a computer monitor. The 200-250 is about where I stop. I've liked a good number of the Asus ones I've purchased, but alas they are all LED TN panels. Then again, if your gaming and not worried about video editing, you may be fine with a higher quality, LED back-lit, Non-IPS panel.

One question I guess... is 3-D something your concerned or interested about?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:57 am

I wish i had a $1000 to get a monitor,using a 37 inch vizio hdtv which to my surprise has great color accuracy once adjusted "yes my TR page is blue not purple ish and imm not using the cool color temp"Contrast sorta stinks but i think my new 55" plasma 3d vt30 is the cause.
I do not know what brand video card you are using NV/ati either way Asus has a beautiful 27" 120hrtz 3d vision2 panel with lightboost and the built in ir thingy and the new 3d vision2 glasses included.Even if you do not have Nvidia if you have a powerful rig that gets over 60fps,it would be nice to see any frames over 60 you get.Iwork with a friend with 2 gtx580s he runs dual 24 inch monitors,one is a plain tn panel and the other is the 23.5 "asus 3d vision panel.So a 60 hrtz panel vs a 120 hrtz panel NO 3d.He fired up tom clancys hawx 2 and his rig gets 200fps or better on that game so its smooth as silk on the 60 hrtz panel.Then he said chk this out and relaunced the game on the 3d panel @120 hrtz, this is what my eyes did :o ,it was like night and day the fluidity of the 120 hrtz smoothness over the 60 hrtz panel!3D gaming looks awesome with the proper driver support.
$699 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236206 Read the reviews.Newegg also has a video posted with the unboxing.Since you have a $1000 and you do not currently get over 60fps use the other 300 for another card for SLI.
I will be getting this monitor with part of my tax return:)
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:08 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:Don't waste your hard-earned money on any nasty TN LCD monitors. There are plenty of good IPS LCD monitors to choose from. Select one that has low input lag, and you'll have a fine gaming experience.

Well, they don't make 120hz IPS monitors yet, do they? My SO has a Dell 2312HM (IPS) and I have a Samsung S23A700 (120hz TN). Hers was cheaper and looks better in general viewing, and I'm sure that for most gamers it's the better choice (apparently the 2312HM has low input lag). But I find that I'm sensitive to lack of smoothness, and the added smoothness (and reduced lag) that twice as many display updates gives matters to me, especially when I'm surrounded in FPS combat and frantically gunning down anyone I can hit.

I'd switch out my display for the 2312HM for a while, but I'm afraid to admit that I might like it better :P
Firestarter
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:20 am

My Samsung 245T's are decent enough, with a tested average of around 10ms G2G response time with the motion acceleration swiched off. They're a little smeary in fast gaming but as a PVA screen they don't seem to suffer noticeable input lag like many of the IPS panels I've used.

I use both TN and IPS at work on a daily basis, and for a screen you're sitting right in front of, there's nothing wrong with a good, 8-bit TN. The technology offers things that IPS or MVA cannot do and whilst it suffers in colour 'richness' I find that a good TN panel is more uniform and offers better blacks/contrast ratios to a similarly priced IPS. The real problem with TN panels is that they have a tarnished reputation caused by all the sub $200 junk on the market. For every good TN panel there are twenty abysmal ones - this was always inevitable in a price-driven race to the bottom.

My real issue when looking at screens is that manufacturers never list useful information in their monitor specs. After the screen size and a picture to see what the bezel/stand looks like, the three most important specs are:

Colour accuracy (delta e)
Panel type (TN/MVA/IPS or a variant)
Input lag (response time is irrelevant once you get lower than say 8ms - ie 125Hz)

It's practically impossible to get this info in the vast bulk of the reviews on the web. I have to admit, it's been a long time since I visited flatpanelshd and their site has been sorted to make finding info much better.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:27 am

A well calibrated quality TN panel can look fantastic beating a ips panel in almost every way minus viewing angle and color gamut.Plus i do not know anyone who games on any monitor looking at it from the side top or bottom........Perhaps the 30" IPS panel guys have a large audience.
Theoretical facebook post to all friends.Every one come over and watch me play BF3 and skyrim on my 30 inch IPS MONITOR....YOU CAN EVEN SIT TO THE SIDE AND IT STILL LOOKS NICE...BTW BYOB:)
I am mot picking a fight fellas its a joke,but if you want to fight i live in se PA below philly.But lets goto a bar first and drink and chat before we act like teenagers.Anyone ever hear of the Frontier saloon.Just a dive with a large bar,with food and a couple pool tables.
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:10 am

Not gonna lie Vargis, that last portion of your post was a bit creepy ahaha! Internet stalk much :o ?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:16 am

Nahh up all night watching the race.then could not get to sleep..still azz draggin.
No skeletons in my closet. :o
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:37 am

Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:53 pm

I couldn't give 2 shakes about 3D, but everyone's given me a great path to head down as I research this.

I think I might have to wait until doomsday to find a monitor that does EVERYTHING I want, so I'll need to figure out precisely what I need/want.

Also, someone asked what video card I have. I got the GTX 570. After picking up the processor and motherboard and all that, I went mid-range for the card knowing I could upgrade in the future. (Remember my old monitor I bought it for was 1600x1200) I think TR's review for this said, "little pricey for the performance, but it's in the middle." Something like that. This was almost a year ago. Maybe it's time to finally make good on that promise too, and upgrade the card.

Thanks everyone!
-Carl
Carl
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Carl wrote:Also, someone asked what video card I have. I got the GTX 570. After picking up the processor and motherboard and all that, I went mid-range for the card knowing I could upgrade in the future. (Remember my old monitor I bought it for was 1600x1200) I think TR's review for this said, "little pricey for the performance, but it's in the middle." Something like that. This was almost a year ago. Maybe it's time to finally make good on that promise too, and upgrade the card.

No, I would say it is NOT time to upgrade, considering that nVidia has not even released a new chip series since you bought that one :) It's still one notch above the GPU in the March 2012 "Editor's Choice" build. You could throw away $500 for a card that's maybe 20% faster (Radeon 7950), but I generally don't upgrade my graphics card until I can triple its performance. I don't think you'll have a compelling reason to upgrade in 2012, though we'll find out in a few months when Kepler hits.
Saber Cherry
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:06 pm

See. This is why I come here.

Despite my low post count, I read on here when I get a chance. Thanks!
-Carl
Carl
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Besides you could get another 570 and do SLI....super high frame rates and a 120 hrtz monitor and what the heck try 3d you might like it alot.
Here is a review on the same monitor from hardware canucks http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... eview.html And yes the glasses will fit over script glasses.Besides its 2d performance is outstanding according to neweggs reviews and HC review likes it also.
BTW 3d games have much more depth then 3d movies.But avatar on my panisonic 55' vt30 was stunning.I never saw it in 3d at the theater,but now i do not have to since my picture was better then real 3d passive in the theater since passive 3d halves either vertical or horizontal resolution.It made me sit 3 ft away so i was fully immersed.
Alot of people here do not like SLI they say they get micro stuttering and tearing.I do notice some tearing but that is because i have vsync off.....with a 120hrtz monitor you could run vsync on and pretty much remove all tearing.Just in case you do not know Vsync is where you set your video card to match your monitors refresh rate/hrtz rating.All lcds besides active 3d lcd are 60hrtz or 60fps capped 3d/120hrtz monitors are likewise capped but at 120fps.
Read the review above and the newegg reviews from customers who own the monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236206 699$ amazon has it for 40$ less free shipping http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... pricest-20
I do not know much about this acer 27 inch 120 hrtz monitor but its 140$ cheaper@559$ but the reviews are decent.Though not as good as the ASUS. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824009300 here are a few comments,I had no problems whatsoever plugging this in and getting it to work. It works perfectly with my EVGA GTX 570 Classified card. If you are on the fence about 3D Vision, but can afford to drop the extra cash on this... go for it. You won't be disappointed. I picked up this monitor when they started showing up back in stock a couple weeks back. I've read a lot of people praising 120hz monitors more for the 120hz then the 3d capability. When I hooked the thing up, I switched my desktop to 120hz and the difference was huge. Dragging windows on Win7 was extremely smooth. I showed it to a couple of friends and they also noticed the difference immediately. I've noticed too on games where my 3d card (580gtx) can break 60fps that everything seems "smoother" because of the higher refresh rate. I guess to sum it up, once you go 120hz you can't go back.This monitor coupled with my EVGA 470 GTX gives absolutely stunning detail in 3D. You have to see it to believe it. Its like your playing with little characters in a doll house.I liked this Quote for the asus,Anyone who says 120hz is just for 3D is crazy...it is easily noticeable in 2D. A simple test: set the monitor to 60hz and move a browser around the screen, or scroll a text/image heavy website...you will see noticeable image trails, no matter how fast your computer is. Now set it to 120hz and watch the smoothest scrolling you've ever seen: its night and day. Same goes for 2D gaming in 120hz.
Now just have to add you have to use a dual link DVI cable.I tried 3d games on my panasonic plasma 3d tv,since it has no D-DVI input HDMI @1080p will only let you have 24fps since HDMI is bandwidth limited.3D tvs do refresh at 120hrtz if they have active glasses but you still only get 24fps so it flashes each eye 60 times a second so you do not notice it but its flashing the same frame of the movie approx 2.5 times per frame,thats fine for movies but not games.3D vision pulls no punches you get 60 different frames for each eye per second.From what i have read it breaths life into old games.Left for dead is praised alot along with BFBC2,BF3,WOW,HAWX1&2.
Even if i was not into 3d i would buy it,note with a single 570 newer games like BF3 will have to have some quality turned down.from what i hear the 3d depth/effect makes up for it.Plus you can always add another 570 and go SLI.I get crazy high frame rates with my 2 EVGA superclocked 560TIs I run them at up to 1000mhz stable on the core when needed only,but they are always running at 950mhz making them pretty much level with a vanilla stock clocked 570.BTW a vanilla stock clocked 570 can overclock pretty good making it match a stock 580.
Sorry for the long rant but i think 3d gets a bad rap by word of mouth AND NOT FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE which is much better then what you hear on the grapevine
Where is my tax check:)
I also forgot to mention they have hdmi1.4a so the monitor and glasses will work with a playstation 3 if you or anyone living with you has one,Kids perhaps.
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Carl wrote:
When I was last looking I was able to find some reviews that said that the Dell UltraSharp U2711 was a sight to behold, and now I'm asking if this is still true?

Full specs here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824260038

I'm looking for near the same specs, ~27", dual-link DVI, 2K-ish resolution, you know... Thing of beauty... But my google-fu seems week regarding reliable monitor recommendations from people who know what they're talking about. Is this model still worth getting? My limit is $1,000, but I don't have to spend that, if the best is $800, then I'm happy.

Thanks!

I have an ancestor of this display, the 2007WFP, which is 27" and a 16:10 1920x1200 display. I've had it since 2008 and I love it! The only thing I'd have against the new version is the 16:9 resolution. You might be able to get a slightly older 30" monitor at 2560x1600 for ~$1k, maybe less if it is used.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:01 am

There's a thread on Anandtech about 340 pages long full of reviews and recommendation on LCD's. If you have a couple days to read it, google for Anand LCD Buyer's Guide. The initial page used to be basic recommendations but it's been stale for a few years now.

If you have more important things to do than read 300 pages of internet opinions, you can't go wrong with Dell Ultrasharp's. I have a U2412 and U2209WA - both considered "lower end" Ultrasharp due to cheap eIPS panels. I also have a P2411 which I picked up solely because of price. It's acceptable for basic use but the U's are much better.

If you have any thoughts about multiple monitors, consider that Radeon Eyefinity requires DisplayPort for more than 2 monitors, or use of $30+ active adapters.

The U2412 can frequently be picked up for $300. I recently saw a deal posting on Slickdeals.net at this price. I'm waiting for another $250 or less deal so I can pick up a couple, along with a Tyke 6-monitor stand. I am of the opinion that one should bathe in the warm, glowing, warming glow of many monitors.
hans
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39 am

hans
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:30 am

Another place that has a lot of in-depth monitor reviews by people with the technical know-how to actually properly do them: http://www.prad.de/en/index.html. If the monitor you're looking for has been reviewed by prad.de, I suggest you take heed of their comments and recommendations.

edit: for example, look at their Dell U2412M review
Firestarter
Gerbil XP

Return to System Builders Anonymous