Need advice on an upgrade

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Need advice on an upgrade

Postposted on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:02 pm

I've currently got:
- Core 2 Duo E6320 (at 2.9ghz)
- Biostar P43D3 (LGA775)
- Radeon HD 6870 (recently upgraded)
- 4GB DDR3 1600

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU, which would require upgrading the motherboard. Currently, I have in mind:
- i5 2300 ($180)
- Biostar TZ68K+ ($125)

I'm looking for something between $200 and $300, hopefully lower rather than higher.
eliplan312
Gerbil
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Re: Need advice on an upgrade

Postposted on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Ivy bridge should arrive next month.

How'd you select that particular BioStar motherboard?
Cheaper BioStar:
$100 -15MIR + 190 -25 combo BioStar TZ68A+RCH and Intel Core i5-2380P (3.1 GHz quad-core, no IGP)
or $230 -20 combo Intel Core i5-2550K (3.4 GHz unlocked quad-core, no IGP)

Gigabyte:
$118 -10MIR + 220 -20 combo Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 and Intel Core i5-2500K (3.3 GHz unlocked quad-core)
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15140
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Need advice on an upgrade

Postposted on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 pm

I just saw that the BioStar motherboard had ok ratings and was cheap, so I picked it. However, that bundle with the 2380P looks pretty appealing.

Should I wait for Ivy Bridge? I guess that the current gen will be discounted then...
eliplan312
Gerbil
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Re: Need advice on an upgrade

Postposted on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:55 am

Ivy Bridge pricing is slated to fall directly on top of Sandy Bridge for comparable processors (ie i5-2500K = i5-3570K). Chances are that Intel has dropped back on Sandy Bridge shipments to clear out inventory in preparation for Ivy Bridge. While Sandy Bridge prices may decline slightly, I would speculate that it won't be much. Waiting is your best option for either outcome here, its a win-win situation. If SB prices drop and you're ok with buying that, you win....if SB doesnt get cheaper, you can buy an IB CPU, you win. Its only a month or less.

Here is a review of the i5-3570K. Anandtech, has a i7-3770K review as well.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:50 am
Location: Madison, Wisconsin


Return to System Builders Anonymous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests

cron