Phenom II X2 vs Clarksdale I3

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Which one should I replace

1. Phenom X2 555
2
20%
2. Clarksdale I3
3
30%
3. PepperJack
5
50%
 
Total votes : 10

Phenom II X2 vs Clarksdale I3

Postposted on Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:05 pm

So I have 2 systems, that I want to replace mobo/cpu/ram in one of them.
The Phenom is a 555 Callisto unlocked to 4 cores on a Gigabyte 880GM-UDH2 with 4 Gb Ram
The Clarksdale is on an Intel DH55 with 4 Gb of Ram.
I thought of upgrading CPU's in both of them, however the current upgrades available are both around $200 and don't seem to be worth it. I can buy a new IB 3570K with Asus Z77 board and 8Gb of ram for roughly $450. Which system should I be looking to upgrade? Usage will be general gaming and Folding.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B
rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Re: Phenom II X2 vs Clarksdale I3

Postposted on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:26 pm

I would say neither, however if you are folding you may want to look at a ph2 x6, direct drop in replacement (cheap option).

For games you may want to just upgrade your video card instead, which can also fold, and may be the best option for you (instead of pepperjack).
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: Phenom II X2 vs Clarksdale I3

Postposted on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:39 pm

Purely from a CPU performance persepctive, I'd keep a 4-core Phenom II over a Clarkdale. The Clarkdale would need roughly a 10% clockspeed advantage if I remember correctly from my estimates back when they came out to be equal but you aren't going to do any overclocking on the Intel motherboard. The Phenom II has higher power draw though.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In my head...

Re: Phenom II X2 vs Clarksdale I3

Postposted on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:50 am

Upgrade the Pepperjack. It's a fine cheese for light snacking and lunch sandwiches and performs to expectations if you apply it accordingly, but the wine pairings are few and the potential for broader satisfaction is nil.

For a longer-term investment, a smoked Gouda is the minimum price of admission, and it can be applied to a broader range of applications ranging from your basic cheese tray to fruit to a meal of grilled fish, or even a classic meat and potatoes Sunday dinner. Throughput can easily exceed an ounce per minute during periods of heavy consumption.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5439
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Phenom II X2 vs Clarksdale I3

Postposted on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:04 am

If you're near a Micro Center, you can get an Intel Core i5-3570K for $190, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M for $60 and 2x4 GiB of PC3-12800 for $45 plus tax, for a total of $295 + tax. The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 would be $30 more.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15426
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Phenom II X2 vs Clarksdale I3

Postposted on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 pm

ludi wrote:Upgrade the Pepperjack. It's a fine cheese for light snacking and lunch sandwiches and performs to expectations if you apply it accordingly, but the wine pairings are few and the potential for broader satisfaction is nil.

For a longer-term investment, a smoked Gouda is the minimum price of admission, and it can be applied to a broader range of applications ranging from your basic cheese tray to fruit to a meal of grilled fish, or even a classic meat and potatoes Sunday dinner. Throughput can easily exceed an ounce per minute during periods of heavy consumption.

True. But have you considered goat cheese? I'm astonished at how many benchmarks goat cheese is at or near the top in. It's hard to mess up a goat cheese build unless you forget to add other components. Goat cheese requires other components to run properly, IMO, otherwise it scores much lower. Try goat cheese on a rosemary cracker with honey dabbled on top and be totally surprised. Also, try the same except with pepper jelly instead of honey. Amazing.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Phenom II X2 vs Clarksdale I3

Postposted on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:17 pm

If your x2 555 is unlocked to 4 cores it should peform roughly like an x4 955. In that case, check out a benchmark comparison between the two CPUs and decide for yourself depending on your usage. Replace the loser with an i5-3570K though.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1656
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: Phenom II X2 vs Clarksdale I3

Postposted on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:32 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:If you're near a Micro Center, you can get an Intel Core i5-3570K for $190, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M for $60 and 2x4 GiB of PC3-12800 for $45 plus tax, for a total of $295 + tax. The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 would be $30 more.

I don't live near one, unless there's one in S Flo I'm unaware of. Logically I know that AsRock is an offshoot of ASUS for "value boards" but I havent convinced myself I'm ready to try them, maybe it's time to take the rose colored glasses off and give them a shot.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B
rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Re: Phenom II X2 vs Clarksdale I3

Postposted on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:34 pm

DPete27 wrote:If your x2 555 is unlocked to 4 cores it should peform roughly like an x4 955. In that case, check out a benchmark comparison between the two CPUs and decide for yourself depending on your usage. Replace the loser with an i5-3570K though.


Thanks for that link, I dont spend much time at there and I didnt realize that was there. According to that comparison the I3 is the loser for the most part.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B
rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm


Return to System Builders Anonymous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests