Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Filters didn't work?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Gaming PC built finished, Review before I buy plz

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Filters didn't work?

No, filters are full as well. I'm just trying to make the point that there are no absolutes in this issue.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Case in point, my P180 was disgusting inside despite fan filters.

I don't know what you were doing wrong to make your P180 "disgusting inside". I have never had to clean the heatsinks on my video card or CPU cooler inside my P183 case, even when only using 2 exhaust case fans (which came with the case), same goes for "blowing the dust out of the case" (there's NOTHING to blow out), that is considering my PC is turned on 24/7. If you do not believe me - you are free to visit my house any time you want to and examine the case as long as you want to. I understand that some person might unintentionally screw up his/her case ventilation which would allow the intake of large amount of dust particles, but that doesn't instantly mean that the whole case design is "flawed" in any way :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
Filters didn't work?

No, filters are full as well. I'm just trying to make the point that there are no absolutes in this issue.

So, filters clogged and a positive pressure system became a negative pressure system, sucking in dust and such through the nicks and crannies?

I'm not picking on you, but a properly filtered case cannot run into this issue. If the filters get full, though...

JohnC wrote:
I don't know what you were doing wrong to make your P180 "disgusting inside". I have never had to clean the heatsinks on my video card or CPU cooler inside my P183 case, even when only using 2 exhaust case fans (which came with the case), same goes for "blowing the dust out of the case" (there's NOTHING to blow out), that is considering my PC is turned on 24/7. If you do not believe me - you are free to visit my house any time you want to and examine the case as long as you want to. I understand that some person might unintentionally screw up his/her case ventilation which would allow the intake of large amount of dust particles, but that doesn't instantly mean that the whole case design is "flawed" in any way :wink:

The P183 might be better sealed, and your two exhaust fans might be pushing so little air as to not make this as much of an issue. I'm not arguing against your experience outside of your silly computer placement issue :).

But experience with old enclosures and engineering new systems are two different things, and the P18x's belong to a different era. They're huge, heavy, and less versatile than the competition as well as Antec's newer cases. I'm pushing the R4 because you can very easily set it up in a trouble-free system at a lower cost and higher performance level than you're going to get elsewhere.

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:19 pm

rogue426 wrote:
This thread has turned into the zombie apocalypse of SBA. The post whoring of the OP over one build is mind blowing. I'm interested now in what other threads develop over this build, what color mouse pad should I buy and how does it compare to Brand Y.

So when I post questions in other subforums I get told " go post it in your SBA topic" and when I post in SBA I get this. Should I just leave TR altogether?

p.s Where did I ask about Mouse pad??? This is my first PC and I want to hear as many opinion on it as possible to optimize my chance at success, if that somehow offends you I want to say I am sorry but I can't.

After pondering all the extra cooling options, I finally decide those aren't worth the dollar I would spend on them. If I had to pay +15 to get H60 on rebate today, why not just pay $5 more and get Thor V2 (quite a few people said it is pretty quiet on max fan setting and I am not that sensitive to noise anyway) and its 4 fans(3X 230mm!) and forget about adding fans all together:. Sorry about dragging you guys so long in this discussion.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:43 pm

Looking at the Thor V2: primarily, it's much larger, slightly heavier (3lbs), much lower quality build, and uses only mesh to protect fans/filter. Also, it's more expensive.

You can expect near identical performance, if you don't break the case putting it together or moving it :).

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:02 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Looking at the Thor V2: primarily, it's much larger, slightly heavier (3lbs), much lower quality build, and uses only mesh to protect fans/filter. Also, it's more expensive.

You can expect near identical performance, if you don't break the case putting it together or moving it :).

The weight is unimportant as it will be sitting on the floor and I won't move it,definately won't brake easily since it is all steel, and I hihgly doubt near identifcal performance when it is tested here to be amazingly cool and cooling comes way before noise for me, where did you get the idea 2X140 could produce similiar cooling in a close case vs 3X230mm+140mm for open case. Plus if I buy a $20 cheaper R4 I couldn't stop myself from spending $30 extra just to get comfortable with the cooling with Thor I don't feel the urge to do so.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:11 pm

It's not all steel- the front and top are all plastic. I did do some research before posting :).

Performance won't be identical in a testing scenario, but the system won't be louder nor will it overclock less. Effectively the same performance in a smaller package. Further the Thor V2 is a giant open mesh case with no filtering, so you're going to hear every part that makes noise and the case will collect dust.

If you could filter the thing, it'd be great, if you like that sort of case to begin with (I don't), but lack of filtering is the real killer.

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
It's not all steel- the front and top are all plastic. I did do some research before posting :).

Performance won't be identical in a testing scenario, but the system won't be louder nor will it overclock less. Effectively the same performance in a smaller package. Further the Thor V2 is a giant open mesh case with no filtering, so you're going to hear every part that makes noise and the case will collect dust.

If you could filter the thing, it'd be great, if you like that sort of case to begin with (I don't), but lack of filtering is the real killer.

Then would R4 be fine if I just add 2/3 140mm CM 60 CFM/16db fan costing $9 each in front & bottom to make it a 4/5 Fan case(this will be $27 at the cheapest)? Cause I am really unconformable with only 2 fans and don't want to deal with the risk/extra cost of going to IWC and 2 fan imo is not enough for maintaining good airflow during OC, I am considering opening the top vents just so there is more exhaust routes. I like the R4 design and all it is just the closed case makes me feel really uncomfortable about its cooling abilities.
Last edited by sherlock on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
at a lower cost and higher performance level than you're going to get elsewhere.

Well, that is true :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:38 pm

sherlock wrote:
Then would R4 be fine if I just add 2 140mm in front & bottom to make it a 4 Fan case(this will be $20 at the cheapest)? Cause I am really unconformable with only 2 fans and don't want to deal with the risk/extra cost of going to IWC and 2 fan imo is not enough for maintaining good airflow during OC, I am considering opening the top vents just so there is more exhaust routes. I like the R4 design and all it is just the closed case makes me feel really uncomfortable about its cooling abilities.

Add all the fans you would like- I added four, but I was able to set them all as intakes since I was using two blower GPUs and an IWC, and I run them as slow as they can go; I only hear air leaving the case. I'm just saying that you don't really even need those fans, but at the price of the kit you linked, it's hard to argue not picking them up anyway.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:22 pm

sherlock wrote:
This is my first PC and I want to hear as many opinion on it as possible to optimize my chance at success, if that somehow offends you I want to say I am sorry but I can't

[I mean this in the nicest way possible] The fact of the matter is that there is no "perfect" combination of components. (especially for cooling) Eventually you're going to have to make a decision and live with it. As you've seen here with the little dispute between Airman and JohnC, the thread eventually starts spiraling out of control as people lose focus/interest on the topic at hand. Yes, the TR gerbils are very knowledgeable, we definetly have our own individual opinions, and we love to share those opinions. Part of being the OP though is to guide your thread down the right path of answering the questions you need and not letting it get out of control. You've got a TON of posts, and many good suggestions, at this point I think you should read through everything once more and pull the trigger on something. It just feels like we're going around in circles.

sherlock wrote:
I am really unconformable with only 2 fans

There's nothing wrong with trying it out with 2 intake and 1 exhaust before you start adding more, right?
PS. Don't just leave vents open if you have the ability to seal them off. There will be plenty of cracks for the positive air pressure to escape.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:22 am

DPete27 wrote:
sherlock wrote:
This is my first PC and I want to hear as many opinion on it as possible to optimize my chance at success, if that somehow offends you I want to say I am sorry but I can't

[I mean this in the nicest way possible] The fact of the matter is that there is no "perfect" combination of components. (especially for cooling) Eventually you're going to have to make a decision and live with it. As you've seen here with the little dispute between Airman and JohnC, the thread eventually starts spiraling out of control as people lose focus/interest on the topic at hand. Yes, the TR gerbils are very knowledgeable, we definetly have our own individual opinions, and we love to share those opinions. Part of being the OP though is to guide your thread down the right path of answering the questions you need and not letting it get out of control. You've got a TON of posts, and many good suggestions, at this point I think you should read through everything once more and pull the trigger on something. It just feels like we're going around in circles.

sherlock wrote:
I am really unconformable with only 2 fans

There's nothing wrong with trying it out with 2 intake and 1 exhaust before you start adding more, right?
PS. Don't just leave vents open if you have the ability to seal them off. There will be plenty of cracks for the positive air pressure to escape.

Point taken, I will just buy the default R4 and see how far I can get with it in term of cooling, maybe try a bit low level OCing to see whether I need more fans. I guess theory-crafting should only go so far.

I already bought the Mobo(ASRock4),the Optical(LG DVD burner) & the PSU( Seasonic X650).
I will settle on Define R4/Hyper Evo as the Case/Cooler.
Thing I haven't bought but received no objection on: CPU(i5-3570K), GPU(GTX670 FTW), Ram(G.Skill Ares 9CL), SSD(Samsung 830 256Gb).

So that leaves one thing I haven't pulled the trgger on yet:

Monitor ASUS VG278H 27” 120Hz $599.99

The crux of my original plan was to make room for a 120hz monitor as I know it will be expensive but vital to the best BF3 performance, ASUS was my choice because I heard their 120hz products are very good and their customer service is very good as well. The choice of 27" came down because I can afford it by delaying a HDD I don't currently need.

If you guys have opinions/suggestions regarding this last part I haven't decided on please comment(and I'll be glad to listen), otherwise I could just pull the trigger and call this a thread. As far as budget left I have about $100.
Last edited by sherlock on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:06 am

Looks good to me! Happy building!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:59 am

sherlock wrote:
Monitor ASUS VG276H 27” 120Hz $599.99

The Asus screen to get is the VG278H. Overall, it is the best general-purpose 120Hz screen at the 27" size, and that's as large as they go.

The Samsung SA27950D offers a visibly better panel (faster, better contrast, richer colours) but ergonomically, it's worse than the ASUS:
  • Glossy instead of matte
  • 3D compatible with AMD only
  • Not wall-mountable (though it is exceedingly sexy)
  • Slightly more input lag than the Asus VG278H. Not enough to really matter, but some people (like myself) are picky about this.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:07 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
sherlock wrote:

The Asus screen to get is the VG278H. Overall, it is the best general-purpose 120Hz screen at the 27" size, and that's as large as they go.

The Samsung SA27950D offers a visibly better panel (faster, better contrast, richer colours) but ergonomically, it's worse than the ASUS:
  • Glossy instead of matte
  • 3D compatible with AMD only
  • Not wall-mountable (though it is exceedingly sexy)
  • Slightly more input lag than the Asus VG278H. Not enough to really matter, but some people (like myself) are picky about this.

Yeah, I meant to type 278 but typo-ed. the capability with Navida card was a big plus for me as I intend to stay with Navida for a while using EVGA's step up program.

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

The SBA Zombie is back, 3 options

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:23 pm

In all seriousness I don't want to bump a 105 post topic, but with change in my budget due to sales and discounts I really needed your opinion on 3 upgrade options:

Hi, I have majority of a build set:
Category Item NewEgg
Processor Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz $229.99
Storage Samsung 830 256G $198.99
Memory Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600 $80.99 (10% discount)
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 $119.99 ($15 giftcard)
Optical Drive LG Black SATA 24X DVD Burner $14.39 (discount)
Power supply Seasonic X650Gold $118.99 (discount)

The last 4 item have already been purchased and I intend to buy the rest in a week.
This was my original set up for the rest of the items:
Graphics MSI N670 PE/OC $404.99
Enclosure Corsair 500R $114.99
CPUFan Phantek PH-TC14PE $75.00 ($20 off promo code)
Total: $594

However after getting discount on the first item I bought I run into $50 of extra budget room due to the discount so I came up with the following 3 way to spend the extra money:
General rule/assumption:
1.EVGA GTX 670 FTW is better in a closed case like Define R4 as it doesn't spread heat to other parts like custom cool GPU.
2.I have a 20% off promotion code for Case fan
3. I will use XIGMATEK CLF-F1454 140mm 3X Case Fan for $21.58, 60 CFM/16dba

Option 1: Define R4 H80
I have always been a fan of the Define R4(2X 140mm default fan, +2 USB 2.0 compared to 500R), although I originally didn't like it because it not a open air case and I needed to add more fans/liquid cool, now I have the cash and the H80 have a $15 rebate offer(overall price down to $89.99):

Frantic Design Define R4 109.99
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 407.99
XIGMATEK CLF-F1454 140mm 3X Case Fan 21.58 (mounted as Side intake, bottom intake and top exhaust)
Corsair H80 89.99(mounted as the rear exhaust)-> Rethinking this, seems like the H80 Grinding pump issue isn't going away and both Corsair forum and newegg review are filled with compliants, I know you have to take newegg review with some salt but with D14's 1% 1 egg rating out there(600+ user) and PH-TC14PE's 1egg review all from idiots who bought tall Ram I rather not take the H80.
Total 629.55

Option 2: 500R 14PE+ fans
This is just my old plan with the extra cash spent on Fans:

Corsair 500R 114.99
MSI N670 PE/OC 404.99
XIGMATEK CLF-F1454 140mm 3X Case Fan 21.58(mounted as Bottom intake and Top exhaust 2X)
Phantek PH-TC14PE 75
Total 616.56

Option 3: 500R H80 + fans
This is just my old plan with the extra cash spent on Fans:

Corsair 500R 114.99
MSI N670 PE/OC 404.99
XIGMATEK CLF-F1454 140mm 3X Case Fan 21.58(mounted as Bottom intake and Top exhaust 2X)
Corsair H80 89.99
Total 631.55

My priority
1. Cooling(including future SLI)
2. GPU performance
3. Noise
4. Price (only matters in that I won't pay more to get same/less)

If you have an opinion on which one is best for me please let me know. I am leaning 1 at this point unless I can put the 140 mm fan as the Corsair's front intake, the 4th option I am not sure on is Option 3 but with $5 extra for H100 instead of H80(can fit on top of 500R).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:54 am

Threads merged.

It is possible to keep the $50 in your pocket or to spend it on a good game instead of hardware.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:04 am

Man, I can't believe you're still undecided on stuff here, you've had dozens of good suggestions and seem to be suffering from a severe case of indecisiveness ;)

If this is your first build, go with the air cooling options that have been suggested. It's simpler, more than adequate and one less thing to go wrong; With an air cooler you won't ever have to worry about grinding pump, pump failures, leaks, where to fit the big-ass radiator etc. If for some inexplicable reason you don't get on with air cooling, you can quite happily just swap in an H80 or H100 later.

I'd agree with EVGA over MSI just because I've had to RMA stuff from MSI before and it's slow. EVGA seem to have some of the best customer support, and a blower is better for SLI than an open cooler since it takes up less space and doesn't exhaust hot air anywhere near the intake of the second card.

The R4 will be quieter than the 500R, but the 500R will be cooler. Since you rate Cooling and performance above noise in your priority list, you should get the 500R.

Don't buy any more fans. The 500R really doesn't need them for your initial spec, they'll just add noise and you can rest assured that the 500R's stock cooling is great.
What you want is positive air pressure, to keep dust out. If you mount the PSU with the intake facing down to the intake below, you'll eliminate the PSU from the case cooling - It has it's own air supply and exhaust that way.
After that, you are left with 2x120 front and 1x200mm side intakes, and 1x120 exhaust. Since the side panel is largely mesh, you will get a lot of recirculation going on there, so you can probably ignore the 200mm intake there in terms of air pressure. That leaves the top mesh free for the rest of the positive air pressure to escape; Adding fans here will do very little to improve cooling, all it will do is reduce the air pressure inside the case, reducing cooling efficiency and making it more likely dust will get in.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:29 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Threads merged.

It is possible to keep the $50 in your pocket or to spend it on a good game instead of hardware.

This.

Although the Corsair Obsidian 650D is in that +$50 range, too...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:20 am

superjawes wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
Threads merged.

This.

Although the Corsair Obsidian 650D is in that +$50 range, too...

I actually have another $100 laying around for those games if necssary(only plan on playing BF3 and my 10 dozen old games the first month), but wanted to spend the $50 to maximize my system:

Air Cool seem to be the better option at this point(given the grinding pump issue that isn't going away with H-series) and I do dislike the 650D since I am paying for looks only(doubt is any more durable than the pure steel Define R4 and I don't see additional features an extra fan R4 couldn't beat(don't say the window I am not going to look at the case all day->that's why I spend the big buck on monitor).

After thinking the first 3 over I think this is the best for me:

Define R4 109.99
EVGA 670 FTW 407.99
140mm fan 3X 21.58(Bottom intake, side intake, top exhaust)
PH-TC14PE 75.00
Total 614.56(+20 from my original, thinking about going for a higher tier fan with the $30)

The alternative is my original with the EVGA instead of MSI:
Corsair 500R 114.99
EVGA 670 FTW 407.99
PH-TC14PE 75.00
Total : $598

Does the first option seem OK to you? Pardon my indecisiveness but this is my first computer and I am dreading making a mistake on any part.

Reason why I prefer R4 over the 500R:
1.2+ USB 2.0, and 140mm front intake fans.
2. lower noise
3. while I have to add fan I think with the fan upgrade it should cool at the seem level if not better than stock 500R
4.Stronger Positive airflow(4X140 intake, 2X140 exhast) with easily removeable filter(not sure on the front filter of 500R).

Why I'd prefer 500R:
1. Trivial but 500R(part plastic and no sound deadening material) is 10lb lighter
2. the large side intake might be better for SLI cooling

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:41 am

Go with option #1. I still think you could save $45 and get the Hyper 212 EVO for $30 on sale right now, 840 reviews with a 5 star rating don't lie, but whatever...

Here's a review of the 212 EVO
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 am

DPete27 wrote:
Go with option #1. I still think you could save $45 and get the Hyper 212 EVO for $30 on sale right now, 840 reviews with a 5 star rating don't lie, but whatever...

I was thinking about the 212 Evo, however I do have the budget for something that allows me to push the OC further. While 14PE at $75 is nowhere close to the value of the $30 Evo, it is still a better value than D14.

by the way the new Option #1(went back to 14PE from H80):
Define R4 109.99
EVGA 670 FTW 407.99
140mm fan 4X 28.7(Bottom intake,Side intake, Rear exhaust, top exhaust. 60CFM/16Dba), 2 stock 140mm are 67 CFM/15-19dba(moving the original rear exhaust to front intake)
PH-TC14PE 75.00 (comes with a Y adapter for plugging in 2 fan in one Mobo header
Total 621.68( 2X Front intake,1X Bot intake goes to the fan controller, Side intake/Rear and Bottom exhaust goes to the Mobo header(2X 4 pin for Cooler & 1 fan, 2X 3pin for the other 2), this is about $24 more than my original.
Last edited by sherlock on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:19 am, edited 6 times in total.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:53 am

sherlock wrote:
I was thinking about the 212 Evo, however I do have the budget for something that allows me to push the OC further

If that's what you want. What RAM are you using? That Pantech may cause RAM clearance problems in the first slot because of its dual heatsink design. Make sure you research your RAM height and the available clearance under the heatsink.

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:56 am

DPete27 wrote:
sherlock wrote:
I was thinking about the 212 Evo, however I do have the budget for something that allows me to push the OC further

If that's what you want. What RAM are you using? That Pantech may cause RAM clearance problems in the first slot because of its dual heatsink design. Make sure you research your RAM height and the available clearance under the heatsink.

The shortest avaliable I think, Corsair Vegenance Low Profile measured at 26.25mm(1.03 inch) according to Corsair website, G Skill Ares measures about 32mm according to G.Skill website.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 am

sherlock wrote:
I actually have another $100 laying around for those games if necssary(only plan on playing BF3 and my 10 dozen old games the first month), but wanted to spend the $50 to maximize my system:

Air Cool seem to be the better option at this point(given the grinding pump issue that isn't going away with H-series) and I do dislike the 650D since I am paying for looks only(doubt is any more durable than the pure steel Define R4 and I don't see additional features an extra fan R4 couldn't beat(don't say the window I am not going to look at the case all day->that's why I spend the big buck on monitor).

Okay, the longer you wait, the more likely you're going to see sales, price cuts, and general hardware values decline. When it comes to fans, you can add and replace them later in almost any case (by "case" I mean "situation" and your actual housing). Getting hung up on those details are a bit trivial. Liquid cooling can be nice, but it's a bit less value than your normal aftermarket air coolers, which stay silent and provide great cooling for a small premium.

And the 650D has two things over the R4 (in my opinion). First off, stock fans. R4 has 2x140 mm while the 650D has 2x200 mm + 1x120 mm. Larger fans are generally more silent while moving more air. 140 mm should be pretty good, but 200 mm would be better. The second is purely cosmetic. The finish on the R4 looks almost beige, reminicent of a long dead computer era...and it still would be visible if any of my desk setups, so I would prefer something for my tastes. And (again, my personal preference), the door on the front just seems a bit of an unecessary nuisance to me. I don't often open the door on mine, but it doesn't need to be there and can get in the way when I need to get in there.

So tl;dr, I wouldn't stress too much on the fan detail and get the build done, adding fans later if you need them. If you have a computer store, you wouldn't even need to wait for fans to ship, either.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Gaming PC built finished, Item list and Build Log

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:37 pm

Updated Page 1 with the Item list->Final & the beginning of my Build Log. Will be updating it when the rest of my items comes in next week and there will be Photos and Benchmarks :D

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 pm

sherlock wrote:
Update, GPU/CPU Cooler/Case/Monitor ordered, ETA Thursday/Friday.

You should mod the case and turn it into a submersion build with all kinds of fancy disco lighting.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:38 am

Update: All items are now either already in hand or are in transit. ETA for everything other the the CPU and SSD is tomorrow, those two are ordered today and ETA is Friday.

I am vacuuming my room today, and will download drivers/read manuals/ upload some photos Thursday.