Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

pkeynote
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Custom NAS

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:18 am

Hello. I am new here! First of all congratulations for the awesome forum :D

I´ve been thinking about creating my own Nas for a couple of months now, and after reading and reading a lot. I have decided i need the following specs:

Specs:
Really Cheap about 600€ (752$) including 4 2TB drives.
As ill be using FreeNas as O.S. I don't need a boot drive; it runs from a USB stick.
Will be doing Raid with soft or with MOBO built in Hardware. So all the processing will go to the CPU.
Mobo with at least 6 SATA Ports
Low consuming (Will be on about 12Hours a Day)

I´ve allready selected some components such as:
PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W
HDD: 4x Seagate Barracuda 2TB Sata 3 or 4x WD Red NAS Edition About 400€

That leaves me with 200€-250€ (250$-300$) for a:
PSU
CPU (Amd or Intel?)
MOBO
RAM
Case

Thanks for your help!

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Re: Custom NAS

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:35 am

Will you be using the UPnP server Fuppes to do transcoding of video files? If so you'll need a little more ooomph. Otherwise just about anything will work great. A couple years ago my old FreeNAS server ran on a fanless Celeron 466 board just great.
Some motherboards like ASUS have extra power surge-resistance features. Maybe that's something to look for.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Custom NAS

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:50 am

If you're going to use ZFS, you'll need at least 4GB of RAM, if not more, and you won't have to mess with onboard RAID, which is a bad idea to use anyway. 8GB of RAM seems to be the recommendation for a low end NAS using ZFS.

Of course, if you're not planning on using ZFS an Atom or E450 with 2-4GB of RAM will work fine.

I'm not sure if you've read it, but the FreeNAS Hardware Recommendations would be a good section to peruse. They have an interesting tidbit about Samba being single threaded, so if you're going to need smb/cifs shares, you're better off getting a CPU with better single thread performance.

Looking at CPUs the Intel Pentium G640T and Intel i3-2120T look interesting as they are 35W parts.

Your requirement for 6 SATA ports narrows down the motherboards choices, and it ends up putting you in the $200+ range of desktop motherboards. At this point, I would step up to a server board, and looking at them, they are a little cheaper with Intel NICs. Asus has a nice board that might work with either of the processors listed. (Link) I'm not 100% sure they will work, as it's a little confusing how they listed the supported procs, but they might.

Something else to think about is the NIC. Intel NICs work great, and I highly recommend them, especially the server stuff. It's an extra expense, but they are well worth it. You don't need to think about this if your buy a board with them built in.

As for cases, get whatever has hot swap drives or will accommodate a couple of hot-swap cages, like this one. I'm not sure if that one actually works, but it's the first one I found.