Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Jjay
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Building performance pc advice appreciated

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:14 am

Was chatting to a friend who i didn't know knew much about building pc's, He told me to take your advice about the q270 but maybe wait for the AMD 8000 series which is just around the corner, maybe January or even December since they are rumored to have quite a big performance increase. I didn't realize they were so soon i thought it was mid 2013 for the 8000/700 release so maybe i will wait a few months and just live on my 6850.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Jjay wrote:
Was chatting to a friend who i didn't know knew much about building pc's, He told me to take your advice about the q270 but maybe wait for the AMD 8000 series which is just around the corner, maybe January or even December since they are rumored to have quite a big performance increase. I didn't realize they were so soon i thought it was mid 2013 for the 8000/700 release so maybe i will wait a few months and just live on my 6850.

Heh, there's always something better around the corner. Buying a shiny new PC with brand-new, cutting edge hardware seems a bit silly if you're going to bog it down with a 6850. One thing for sure is that the 6850 generally struggles with 2560x1440. In the UK at least, the 7950 really is bargain of moment. It's a good 50 cheaper than a GTX670 and it's barely distinguishable from it in terms of performance.

Rumours about the 8000-series being much better are just plain wrong though. The 8000 series were taped out months ago and everything apart from clockspeeds has been finalised. At the top end, The 7970 is a 2048-shader chip and the 8970 is a 2560-shader chip. The process is the same 28nm and the architecture is the same GCN, so AMD are going to have to put a lot of work in just to match the clockspeeds of the 7000-series, let alone raise them above 1GHz.

Even if the new cards come out on time, they won't replace existing cards at the same price point;
More performance = higher price, because AMD are absolutely desperate for money until they somehow settle their $600m overdraft!

It'd be nice if they did better than my predictions, but I suspect that
  • the 8870 2GB will be about the same price/performance as the 7950 3GB.
  • the 8950 will replace the factory overclocked (1100MHz) 7970's at around the same price/performance.
  • the 8970 will suffer from availability issues and high prices as a result of the very large die.
At 5.1B transistors (20% more than Tahiti) it's going to require more die area, which exponentially increases the cost of manufacturing a defect-free, leak-free, low-voltage product capable of hitting 'flagship' clockspeeds.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Jjay
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:47 pm

After much back and forth i'm just going to go with the Dell u2312hm you linked, seems to be the best balance of everything i'm after. The Korean ips are sort of a risk and i don't really want to take the fps drop and the dell u2412 16:10 ratio put me off it. So this seems to be the best way to go until the hardware to run 2560x1440 at jjay perfectionist settings is released. The 8ms response time on the dell should be fine for mmo, rpg and rts games since im not playing any fps like battlefield.....i hope.

Thanks again Chrispy and everyone else who helped me out and sorry if i was starting to get annoying with my questions :oops:

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:57 am

Jjay wrote:
Thanks again Chrispy and everyone else who helped me out and sorry if i was starting to get annoying with my questions :oops:

No worries mate, we love annoying questions here.
GL with the build!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.