Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

frybread
Gerbil
Topic Author

Xbox 720 / PS4 rumored specs: Let's build them now.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:50 pm

I plan to play the next "generation" of games on Windows/Linux, as usual.

My question is: Can we build an Xbox 720 equivalent as a PC, right now? How much would it cost?

Here are the rumored specs (as of today) for the Xbox 720, codenamed Durango:

- AMD x86 Jaguar 1.6GHZ 8-Core [Targeting one core being dedicated for OS tasks]
- GPU based on Radeon HD 8770
- ESRAM on the GPU (unknown amount)
- 8GB Ram DDR3, [1.5GB - 3GB likely reserved for the operating system]
- Blu-Ray

Here are the rumored specs for the PS4 codenamed Orbis:

- AMD x86 3.2GHz APU Solution (Jaguar/Steamroller), 4 cores (2 core pairs)
- Maybe AMD 8000 series GPU solution [Customized Solution Possibly utilizing GPU + APU combo]
- 2-4GB GDDR5
- Blu-Ray

Sources for the above 2 rumors:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507910
http://www.vgleaks.com/whats-inside-durangos-alpha-kit/
http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/17/showtim ... at-1-23tf/

Here are the rumored specs for Valve / Xi3's Steambox, codenamed "Piston"

- Quad-Core 64-bit, x86-based APU running at up to 3.2GHz,
- integrated with up to 384 graphics shader cores
- 8GB DDR3 RAM
- 64GB-1TB of superfast SSD
- No physical media

sources:
http://xi3.com/x7a-modular-computer.php
http://inthelifeofanerd.wordpress.com/2 ... steam-box/

frybread
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Xbox 720 / PS4 rumored specs: Let's build them now.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Alright, answering my own question :)

Short answer: No, not yet. And it's probably too early to be making this thread.

Long answer:
The "Durango" aka Xbox 720 rumor build

Amd Zambezi 8150 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ Eight-Core (Not the same processor, just a guess at ability - probably an upgrade)
$179

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen.3 R2.0
~$200 (estimate, will be released in a few months)

Radeon 8850 (upgrade over the durango)
~$200 (estimate, will be released in a few months)

Blu Ray Drive (optional, in my opinion)
$30

Antec EarthWatts Green 380W
$44.99

Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $37.99

Corsair Carbide 200R $59.99

Total:
~$722 (~$752 with Blu Ray)

The PS4 and the Piston will also be running with an AMD APU, but I feel like this is too much guesswork about future hardware for this thread to be useful.

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:54 am

There will almost certainly be physical media in these things. While the net is good for a lot of things, in the mainstream (and even tech) world, a lot of times a cd/dvd/blu-ray or usb input for content is nice.
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:28 am

That APU on the roadmap for the end of this year, "Kaveri"? I'm pretty sure that will be cheap and powerful enough to run just about any game as the next-gen consoles at the same settings.

Why? I think that 28nm, GCN, and the steamroller architecture SHOULD finally be able to demonstrate AMD's "vision" of what their APUs were truly designed to be able to do.

In fact, for those not all crazy about Haswell and ultrabooks and doing all their computing on a thin sheet of glass, Kaveri might even be a game-changer for the mainstream notebook market.

Go ahead and laugh, but these APUs seem to be the basket that AMD has put all of its eggs in back when Dirk Meyer was still CEO of the company. It has to come to fruition sooner or later.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:19 am

One other thing. If the next Xbox will have 8 cores does it make more sense to get a core i7 with hyperthreading for a new build? Or would you still go with an i5?

Oh, and post #500! Say hello to a new Gerbil Elite! :D
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:54 pm

DeadOfKnight wrote:
One other thing. If the next Xbox will have 8 cores does it make more sense to get a core i7 with hyperthreading for a new build? Or would you still go with an i5?

Oh, and post #500! Say hello to a new Gerbil Elite! :D

It likely wont make a lick of difference. Even if somehow, the ported games from the next Xbox platform are optimized to run better on more than 4 threads - which itself is doubtful due to the established base of dual and quad core computers, and the fact that the next Xbox will purportedly not even use all cores for running a game (one said to be reserved for OS), the specifications of the console are so anemic relative to current midrange gaming computers that it won`t matter. Any Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU (at least i5 and up) will outperform the speculated CPU in the next Xbox, only 4 threads or not.

Just make sure you disable core parking, and you`ll be fine :P

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeah, I was kind of puzzled by this thread. The point of consoles is not to provide bleeding edge performance; the point is to provide a standardized platform with reasonable capabilities in a cost-effective manner. What's the point of a DIY system with similar capabilities?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

frybread
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:53 pm

cynan wrote:
the specifications of the console are so anemic relative to current midrange gaming computers that it won`t matter. Any Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU (at least i5 and up) will outperform the speculated CPU in the next Xbox, only 4 threads or not.

And what about the GPU? Shouldn't we wait for the 8000 series?

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, I was kind of puzzled by this thread. The point of consoles is not to provide bleeding edge performance; the point is to provide a standardized platform with reasonable capabilities in a cost-effective manner. What's the point of a DIY system with similar capabilities?

My initial idea was that if I build a PC that's of similar or greater power to the next generation of consoles & steam boxes, it will be good for the next 5+ years of cross-platform gaming. Is that misguided?

I don't want to build a PC now, and then have it be underpowered for the next gen of games. I'm looking at the power of PS4/720 as a baseline.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:02 pm

frybread wrote:
And what about the GPU? Shouldn't we wait for the 8000 series?

My initial idea was that if I build a PC that's of similar or greater power to the next generation of consoles & steam boxes, it will be good for the next 5+ years of cross-platform gaming. Is that misguided?

I don't want to build a PC now, and then have it be underpowered for the next gen of games. I'm looking at the power of PS4/720 as a baseline.

While we don't know the exact specs of the HD 8770, the rumours peg it at about 35-40% performance increase over the HD 7770. Specs I've seen indicate around 900 stream processors compared to 640 on the 7770 and a bump to 192 bit width memory bandwidth from 128. Together with optimizations that tweak extra performance out of console hardware (relative to the same hardware in a PC that has to deal with a less efficient OS, driver/memory subsystem, etc) I'm hoping the next Xbox will be able to run most games comfortably at 1080p natively - but the games with the fanciest DX 11.X graphics eye candy might only be rendered at 720p... Therefore I'd assume performance, best case, commensurate with an HD 7850/70 or GTX 660 in a current PC.