Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

IngeniousMethod
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: First Time Builder-Requesting Assistance

Fri May 03, 2013 2:30 pm

I found three Intel 6-core CPUs, one is apparently discontinued, one is well above my price range and the other is the Intel Core i7-3930K. I recognized the latter from one of the more expensive System Guide builds, and after reading over the information presented there it says I would need to upgrade my motherboard as well. :-?

Puts me around $2400, which isn't out of the question I guess.... considering the potential price drops after the release of the new Haswell products later this year. If that's what is recommended for streaming then I don't want to prevent myself from at least trying it out. Hopefully I can find some deals later, it'll just be a longer wait until I can enjoy my system, which is the only real downside.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 03, 2013 3:58 pm

IngeniousMethod wrote:
I found three Intel 6-core CPUs, one is apparently discontinued, one is well above my price range and the other is the Intel Core i7-3930K. I recognized the latter from one of the more expensive System Guide builds, and after reading over the information presented there it says I would need to upgrade my motherboard as well.
If you're going to buy X79 and 3930K, make sure you're buying at least four DIMMs (memory modules) so you can take advantage of that lovely quad-channel memory.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if X79 can operate in tri-channel mode?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri May 03, 2013 4:12 pm

auxy wrote:
IngeniousMethod wrote:
I found three Intel 6-core CPUs, one is apparently discontinued, one is well above my price range and the other is the Intel Core i7-3930K. I recognized the latter from one of the more expensive System Guide builds, and after reading over the information presented there it says I would need to upgrade my motherboard as well.
If you're going to buy X79 and 3930K, make sure you're buying at least four DIMMs (memory modules) so you can take advantage of that lovely quad-channel memory.

It can operate in single-channel mode, reducing performance predictably.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 03, 2013 4:21 pm

IngeniousMethod wrote:
Intel Core i7-3930K.... If that's what is recommended for streaming then I don't want to prevent myself from at least trying it out. Hopefully I can find some deals later

I just want to be clear that I have ZERO experience with streaming, but I find this discussion very intriguing considering TR saw negligable performance differences between an i5-3570K, i7-3770K, and i7-3960X in their "gaming while mulitasking" tests. Considering the 8-thread 3770K/4770K is $240 cheaper than the 3930K, I'd be awful tempted to just go with that if there was a doubt that an i5 wouldn't cut it.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
auxy wrote:
It can operate in single-channel mode, reducing performance predictably.
Thanks for your reply, but thaaaat ... doesn't really answer my question.

DPete27 wrote:
I just want to be clear that I have ZERO experience with streaming, but I find this discussion very intriguing considering TR saw negligable performance differences between an i5-3570K, i7-3770K, and i7-3960X in their "gaming while mulitasking" tests. Considering the 8-thread 3770K/4770K is $240 cheaper than the 3930K, I'd be awful tempted to just go with that if there was a doubt that an i5 wouldn't cut it.
The game that TR used for that test isn't especially multi-threaded. I can say from experience that recording Skyrim with my 3570K, I can record it and maintain a perfectly smooth 60fps, but playing something like Warframe, which is 64-bit, multi-threaded, and more demanding, the framerate tanks while recording.

I actually found that PlayClaw and DXTory both cause weird frame latency problems when I run them while gaming, even when not recording (!). I keep meaning to try OBS and haven't yet.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 04, 2013 6:53 am

The TR test is very much a 'simulated' streaming test and isn't representative of a normal stream scenario even though it seems like it would be In other words it's just encoding a video while playing a game, nothing more. More heavily multithreaded games as well as actually hooking the encoding process directly into the test (instead of running just the encoder in the background, which was done in the test) will show different results. I for instance saw a notable difference in smoothness going from a 3570k to a FX8350 while streaming. I do get lower FPS in some applications that are heavily dependent on a single thread, such as LoL, but not so much that it actually matters. In others I actually saw a FPS improvement. Overall it just feels smoother, including in games where I get lower FPS. That's not something that's shown at all in that benchmark and it definitely looks like the AMD chips just suck it up.

I haven't tested a hex core, but I'm sure that would just simply explode my FX8350, then again my 8350 cost me $190... I would recommend a 8350 to anyone that's streaming that can't afford a hex core over their Intel counterparts hands down. If you aren't streaming, that's an entirely different scenario. I really wish TR would get on the ball with this (even if I'm wrong, it really feels different). Streaming's growing and it will most definitely become more common place over the next few years. Functionality for it is already starting to be built into some games.

You want the cheapest hex core. You can always OC it if you need to (you could get your friend to do that), but really you're just after the six cores and the price difference isn't at all justified by the difference in performance between the models.

Auxy, DXtory has issues with monitors with higher then 60hz refreshes. I used to use it and then I got my 144hz monitor and it started giving me all sorts of stutter issues, so I stopped. I actually checked the newest version a few days ago and it still has issues with that.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sat May 04, 2013 7:05 am

auxy wrote:

Yes. Works in single, double, triple, and quad.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sat May 04, 2013 7:22 am

IngeniousMethod wrote:
I found three Intel 6-core CPUs, one is apparently discontinued, one is well above my price range and the other is the Intel Core i7-3930K. I recognized the latter from one of the more expensive System Guide builds, and after reading over the information presented there it says I would need to upgrade my motherboard as well. :-?

There are four in the family that fit the LGA2011 socket, but only three that are hex core.

i7-3970X - $999
i7-3960X - $999 (still made and sold, but supplanted in price and performance by the 3970X)
i7-3930K - $583
i7-3820 - $294 (quad core)

The above prices are for tray models sold in lots of a thousand.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat May 04, 2013 8:47 am

IngeniousMethod wrote:
*CPU - Intel Core i7-3930K (revised)
*MOTHERBOARD - ASUS P9X79 PRO (revised)
Unless you really NEED more than four cores or more than 32 GiB of memory, LGA2011 Sandy Bridge-E doesn't offer much over LGA1155 (or LGA1150 a month from today) except to drain your wallet. Quad-core Ivy Bridge (or Haswell a month from today) provides equal or better gaming performance for less than half the price. If you really want to improve your experience, get a fast single-GPU graphics card and a better monitor (e.g.: 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 IPS with low input lag) and use an Ivy Bridge or Haswell processor.

IngeniousMethod wrote:
*GRAPHICS - Asus GeForce GTX 680 (revised)
This graphics card provides no-compromises gaming performance. With just a single 1920x1080 monitor, you could save quite a bit of money by dropping down to GeForce GTX670 or a Radeon HD7970 or HD7950.

IngeniousMethod wrote:
*AUDIO - Asus Xonar DX 7.1 (plan on using my surround sound headphones so I gravitated toward this option)
Is there any particular reason that you would choose this sound card over one from Creative Labs?

IngeniousMethod wrote:
*CASE - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D.
Note that the Obsidian Series are gigantic cases.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

IngeniousMethod
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 04, 2013 3:51 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Unless you really NEED more than four cores or more than 32 GiB of memory, LGA2011 Sandy Bridge-E doesn't offer much over LGA1155 (or LGA1150 a month from today) except to drain your wallet.

Okay so what about an Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge with an ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 motherboard? Seems like a solid middle ground (I could be wrong yet again though). Sabertooth and Rampage mobos seem popular in a lot of specs on Twitch and YouTube. Are these generally good motherboards or are people just buying these because they see everyone else has them (which I don't want to contribute to if they're not up to par). Sabertooth motherboards especially seem quite prevalent on people's streaming setups so I'd assume a decent compatible CPU for the most part should be able to handle streaming without too many problems.

I will look into the GTX 670. As for the audio card I just based that off of the system guide, I chose the more expensive version for the 7.1 surround. I'm familiar with the Sound Blaster cards though. I'll take a better look at those options as well.

The 650D looks pretty big from all the videos I've seen, but it's not something I'm worried about. I like the look and accessibility of it.

Thanks for the input!!

IngeniousMethod
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Is there any particular reason that you would choose this sound card over one from Creative Labs?

The Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 card looks like a good alternative to the ASUS Xonar DX 7.1. The feedback is generally the same for both. I may just go with the Sound Blaster, it's $50 cheaper.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat May 04, 2013 4:23 pm

The Creative Sound Blaster PCIe sound cards that are viable alternatives to the $85 Asus Xonar DX are the Sound Blaster Z, Sound Blaster Recon3D (or F* version) or the older Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium. The SB Audigy SE is an inferior solution. The $79 Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card # SB1356 looks like the best value of those.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Unless you really NEED more than four cores or more than 32 GiB of memory, LGA2011 Sandy Bridge-E doesn't offer much over LGA1155 (or LGA1150 a month from today) except to drain your wallet.
IngeniousMethod wrote:
Okay so what about an Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge with an ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 motherboard?
Your desire to do video work at the same time as gaming and your generous budget probably justify the Core i7's hyper-threading over the less expensive Core i5 without hyperthreading. For straight-up gaming, the 4-core 4-thread Core i5 provides nearly the same performance for less money. The Core i7-3770K looks like a reasonable choice when you compare it to an LGA2011 Extreme Edition processor. Note that because Ivy Bridge has only two memory channels, you should buy your 16 GiB of memory as 2x8 GiB instead of the 4x4 GiB that would match with an LGA 2011 system. This G.Skill F3-1866C9D-16GXM is only $110½ after you apply promo code "EMCXRXT33".

Although the $245 Asus Sabertooth Z77 is a fine motherboard, what does it offer that you need that other less expensive motherboards lack? I believe that the $200 Asus P8Z77-V Pro offers most of the same excellent features for $45 less. The $130 -15MIR Asus P8Z77-V LK foregoes a few of the premium features like the Intel network chip, but real-world performance should be identical for $130 less than the cost of the Sabertooth motherboard.

If you can stand to wait another 30 days until Haswell arrives, it may offer appealing improvements over Ivy Bridge or it may cause Ivy Bridge CPUs and LGA1155 motherboards to be slightly discounted.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Some people are looking over the fact that he wants to stream...

A hex core is very prudent for streaming, especially if you can afford one. You're after the two extra cores, which are definitely used, not the speed bump or cache increase. If you go for four cores you could just get a 3570k and have your friend OC it, but as I said I'd still say a FX 8350 would be better if you're considering streaming and can't afford a hex core (which can also OC). Hyperthreading isn't the same as having two extra cores. Speaking from experience while using it with a i7-920 before upgrading to a 3570k and then a 8350, it doesn't make a bit of difference except sometimes gives extra FPS (but things get 'jerkier' as cores get overloaded). There seem to be some sort of latency issues associated with cores getting backed up, either way I wouldn't spend money on it.

Haswell probably isn't going to introduce a replacement to Intel hex cores. It's uncertain when those are going to be replaced with IB alternatives. From the rumored 5-10% increase in performance with haswell you're still going to end up wanting a hex core. I'm not recommending a hex core cause I want him to dump $550 on a processor, I am because I know how much of a difference it would make if you can afford it. Especially if you're choosing between that and a Titan or some other stupidly expensive graphics card. A CPU in this case makes more of a difference when streaming at the high end.

For people that have no experience with streaming and the workloads they present, you can actually 'test' out the performance of streaming on your computer without actually streaming. OBS has a preview option, which goes through all the steps of streaming, except for actually transmitting the data to a service. It even shows you the network usage.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 05, 2013 12:51 pm

IngeniousMethod wrote:
*CPU - Intel Core i7-3930K (revised)

Spare no expense, eh? I don't normally recommend it but you might really want to wait for Haswell's release in a few months if you want the very best. If you want to save some money though you could probably downgrade to something like a 3570k and not notice a huge difference; the top-end i7 has twice the L3 cache which you'll definitely feel but hyperthreading is a joke and it's otherwise only a 100 MHz difference. Oh, and the two cores which maybe you'd need for the streaming, maybe, though I really doubt you'd notice. I run a lowly 2500k which isn't even properly supported by my OS and have yet to run into anything that slows it down. But I also don't run a "Crysis max rig" which, despite your protestations, is what you're going to get with specs like this. :)

If more than four cores is a must you might want to look at the AMD side of the fence, too. SB-E is good at what it does but in amping up the hoss powa Intel neutralized a lot of the advantages that SB/IB have over Bulldozer/Piledriver. But I agree with those saying that a good Intel quad is a sound strategy unless you plan to do 1080p steaming all day every day.

*MOTHERBOARD - ASUS P9X79 PRO (revised)

Looks reasonable, lots of features and I've had good experience with Asus. The only thing I would throw in here is that if you're going for a single graphics card and few if any PCI(e) slots you might get better value from a micro ATX board without sacrificing features. LGA2011 is high end stuff so it may not be an option, but if you drop down to LGA1155 there are a lot of affordable mATX solutions.

*RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) (revised)

I see no reason not to get 16GB because memory is cheap and the price difference isn't that much. Do make sure that if you do quad channel, that it's supported by your CPU.

*GRAPHICS - Asus GeForce GTX 680 (revised)

For a single 1920x1080 display a 680 is way, way, way, way overkill. For dual displays maybe, but even there a 670 is likely more than you'd need. I would stick with a single 660 Ti unless you do plan to do multiple displays at some point in the future.

*STORAGE - Samsung 840 250GB (SSD) (revised)>> Seagate Barracuda 7,200 RPM 3TB (Mechanical)

Sounds good, I personally don't trust SSDs but this is the standard performance setup and it works well.

*AUDIO - Asus Xonar DX 7.1 (plan on using my surround sound headphones so I gravitated toward this option)

That motherboard already has 8 channel out, so would a discrete audio card actually provide a benefit?

*CASE - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (First noticed this case on Newegg, before I even saw how prevalent it was in the System Guide builds. The one thing I really don't want to change, I love it's look)

A case is a case is a case as far as I'm concerned. Can't really go wrong with any case as long as it holds the board. But I also use an ivory box o doom from the late 90s so you may want to defer to the less hobo TR members on this one.

*POWER SUPPLY - Corsair HX650 (revised)

Seems reasonable, you're not making a power monster and it's got a good efficiency rating. A good PSU will last you several builds. I've been looking at the Corsairs myself as it's about time to replace my nearly ten year old and slightly battle scarred warhorse.

*CPU COOLER - Corsair Hydro Series H80i Water Cooler

I don't recommend more than a small amount of overclocking, if that, so you don't need this. A basic air cooler will be fine.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun May 05, 2013 2:57 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
SB-E is good at what it does but in amping up the hoss powa Intel neutralized a lot of the advantages that SB/IB have over Bulldozer/Piledriver.

Wut?

NovusBogus wrote:
LGA2011 is high end stuff so it may not be an option, but if you drop down to LGA1155 there are a lot of affordable mATX solutions.

ASUS Rampage IV Gene LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Mind you there is a cost for this smaller form factor X79. Only four memory slots instead of the traditional eight.

There are reasonable questions with regard to if the 3930K is overkill or not for your desires. Putting that debate aside, there are also issues with two new CPUs arriving this year. Haswell is mere weeks away and IB-E, the replacement for the 3930K, is a few months away. Unless your current PC is broken or simply untenable in its present state, I'm just not sure now is the time to be dropping cash. If six cores is really what you want, I think I'd want to drop $500+ dollars on an IB-E in the Fall versus SB-E now. If I wasn't convinced I needed that kind of power I certainly wouldn't take IB over a new Haswell system.

IngeniousMethod
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun May 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Bensam123 wrote:
Some people are looking over the fact that he wants to stream...

The streaming aspect seems like it's complicating things, at least in my mind. I'm considering abandoning the idea all together. I'm trying to take everyone's advice into consideration equally but I'm left feeling a bit conflicted. Every alteration opens up another can of worms, which is certainly interesting but at the same time a bit daunting.

In the end I have to go with what I'm comfortable with. Something that fits my intended purposes, which seems to cost a lot less than what I initially thought. I came into this with a substantial budget and with that headroom got carried away with the possibilities once I realized (with the help of everyone here) that I didn't need the most expensive parts to build a system that had the capabilities I wanted.

I've been completely obsessing over this build for the last few months and it's only gotten worse since I started this thread so I'm getting a bit burnt out. I feel like Dr. Frankenstein going mad with power to build something amazing. :o

You guys have been great though, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I'm going to look over everything a couple more times then try not to think about computers for a while (probably impossible). I'll post an update video once the build is complete, which won't be until after the Haswell release. I won't be purchasing Haswell products but want to wait and see if I can find any deals for whatever parts I settle on. THANKS AGAIN!!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun May 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Hey, it's your money. If you want to get the $325 -20 code " EMCXSTX42" Asus Sabertooth X79 or $310 Asus P9X79 Pro or $240 -25 combo Asus P9X79 or even the $270 Asus Rampage IV Gene (micro-ATX) motherboard and the $570 Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E processor, that's okay. Add $130 or $155 for 4x4 GiB of PC3-14900 memory and I promise you that it will be sufficient to provide satisfactory gaming performance.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 05, 2013 8:02 pm

If you're spending $2k on a build, there is no reason you can't tailor it a bit for streaming... I think most people don't read the thread when they offer advice for tech builds (as a lot of people ask for them), so they don't catch stuff like that. I normally don't even reply to build threads cause there are a half dozen or dozen people that do anyway and their recommendations are all about the same. When it comes down to a certain price point, almost any sort of build will offer similar performance, so don't get stuck on choosing between two brands of memory or anything like that. People have their recommendations and opinions, it all works out in the end when they offer unbiased advice.

Don't get me wrong, you'll still be able to stream with a 3570k or a 8350, you'll just be a lot better off with a hex core. If it comes down to streaming or not, you can always stream on something with lower performance then a hex core, I do. I really think the conflict of opinions is because people are overlooking that aspect of your build though.

Doing some searching Ivy Bridge-E isn't set to be released till q4, which is going to be about 4-5 months away, possibly November.

http://techreport.com/news/24591/leaked ... e-e-models

The difference in models between what's already out for SB-E isn't big at all. The performance difference between it and SB-E probably will be close to non-existent too. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Most people see no reason to recommend upgrading from SB to IB because there is almost no difference between them and if it puts off your build for six months it's definitely not worth it. Given that hex cores are Intels flagship models, chances are they wont drop in price after Haswell is released either. But it is a good idea to wait a few weeks to see what happens with Haswell, just for the sake of curiosity.

Check his OP JAE, he's been updating it as the threads gone along.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun May 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Gaming benchmarks:
http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd- ... reviewed/5
http://techreport.com/review/23246/insi ... day-cpus/3
http://techreport.com/review/22835/revi ... rocessor/6
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the- ... k-review/7

Multi-tasking gaming benchmarks:
http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd- ... reviewed/9
http://techreport.com/review/23246/insi ... day-cpus/7
http://techreport.com/review/22835/revi ... ocessor/10

Bensam123 wrote:
If you're spending {over} $2k on a build, there is no reason you can't tailor it a bit...
The benchmarks don't tell me why we need to spend $2,400 on a build, especially if we're not going to spend some of that on a decent 2560x1440 or better display.

$240 -25 combo Asus P9X79 (instead of $310 Asus P9X79 Pro) motherboard
$570 Intel Core i7-3930K processor
$90 Corsair Hydro Series H80i Water Cooler
$130 or $155 4x4 GiB PC3-14900 memory
$364 Sparkle 700001 GeForce GTX670 2GB (instead of $500 -20MIR Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX680 2GB) graphics card
$170 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD
$135 -15 code "EMCYTZT3391" 3.0 TB Seagate ST3000DM001 hard-drive
$ 0 existing Asus BD-ROM/DVD-RW optical drive
optional $32 3½" USB3 card reader
$70 Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Pro (instead of $95¼ Asus Xonar DX7.1) sound card
$166½ Corsair Obsidian Series 650D case
$90 SeaSonic M12 II 650 (instead of $120 -10MIR Corsair HX650) power supply
$140 Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit Professional operating system (Professional is needed for more than 16 GiB of memory.)
======
$2,125½ (instead of $2,412 -30MIR)

Core i7-3770K would come in at $343 -10MIR less. Core i5-3570K could be about $150 less than that (total of $1629). With a Haswell Core i7-4770K a month from now, it would probably come to something under $1900.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 05, 2013 11:01 pm

He's planning on streaming dude for the nth time it's been mentioned. The encoding while playing games benchmark also is not the same as streaming as both Auxy and I discussed earlier up in the thread. Please read the replies that were made further up the thread.

A hex core is very much justified for a streaming computer, more so then a super expensive video card. Thinking about this more and more I think a second computer should be considered as a capture PC, so the primary computer could be broken down into cheaper parts. You could definitely build two decent computers with $2k. Maybe $1400 on the primary one and $600 on the secondary. You could definitely make the capture PC a midget and then take it around with you if you plan on doing casts from your friends house or whatever. A lot of money is being wasted on overly expensive things when there are cheaper alternatives available. The video card, memory, power supply, motherboard, processor could all be significantly toned down in price.

I have my own reasons for using a single PC instead of a capture PC, but they seem to work very well for other users with the budget for one.

In a semi-related note. I came back to post a list of capture cards that are compatible with OBS, for when you go looking for one. Actually this is more of a list of 'don't buys' then 'do buys'.

http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2517

Edit: Actually I'm starting to believe that's the best choice. You should consider building a 'good' primary PC and then make another PC just for capture and encoding. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this. A capture PC takes all the load off the primary PC as the primary PC doesn't actually do anything. You normally clone a monitor and have a secondary adapter running to the second PC, which then takes in the signal through a capture card. You can also use a splitter, but that's just one extra thing that can go wrong and isn't needed.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon May 06, 2013 7:21 am

Bensam123 wrote:
He's planning on streaming dude for the nth time it's been mentioned. The encoding while playing games benchmark also is not the same as streaming as both Auxy and I discussed earlier up in the thread. Please read the replies that were made further up the thread.
Citation needed. Show some data, please.

You keep advocating giving up all of the things that make a gaming experience better (higher resolution display, faster graphics card, faster CPU cores, better-performing CPU architecture) so that you can assign another billion CPU transistors to the streaming task that little fanless standalone devices accomplish routinely.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 06, 2013 10:22 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Bensam123 wrote:
Citation needed. Show some data, please.

You keep advocating giving up all of the things that make a gaming experience better (higher resolution display, faster graphics card, faster CPU cores, better-performing CPU architecture) so that you can assign another billion CPU transistors to the streaming task that little fanless standalone devices accomplish routinely.

Agreed.

My wife's little E-350 laptop has no trouble streaming video in 720p HD. Don't know about 1080p, since the screen is only 1366x768 :|

Edit - Nice PC, however I see a lack of peripherals, a nice monitor, keyboard and mouse go a long way in making the PC an enjoyable experience.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon May 06, 2013 11:25 am

anotherengineer wrote:
Agreed.

My wife's little E-350 laptop has no trouble streaming video in 720p HD. Don't know about 1080p, since the screen is only 1366x768 :|

I think there's a miscommunication here. Streaming in this context means playing a modern 3D game while doing real time capture, MPEG4 encoding, and delivery for others to watch.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 06, 2013 11:56 am

Yeah, streaming video games. Such as found on Twitch.tv. He'd be the one publishing the content, not consuming it. I didn't realize there was a mixup till examples were given. ><

That would be rather silly buying a $550 processor to watch youtube videos.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 06, 2013 12:57 pm

I wouldn't recommend a GTX 680.

Save a few bucks and get the EVGA 670 FTW. It uses the same full long PCB as the GTX 680 and in my experience it automatically overclocks to 1215 MHz. Great card and you will probably save $100-200 vs the 680 you are looking at (too lazy to google prices).

OR

Wait 2 weeks and get a GTX 780 instead of a 680 as it will be based on a cut down version of Geforce Titan in the $600 area. A MUCH better buy than a 680 at this point.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 06, 2013 1:11 pm

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
OR

Wait 2 weeks and get a GTX 780 instead of a 680 as it will be based on a cut down version of Geforce Titan in the $600 area. A MUCH better buy than a 680 at this point.

Don't quote these prices. Yes, the 7xx series will/should offer better perfromance (and probably better value) by dropping faster chips into lower model numbers, but there's no guaratnee that the 7xx series will be priced at the same exact points, and the immediate hype of the cards might mean higher initial prices than when they finally settle to where the market actually wants them.

I don't mean to directly challege your point about prices and power. I just don't think your timing will match up with those prices.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Fair point, should have stated this is a rumoured price.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Streaming in this context means playing a modern 3D game while doing real time capture, MPEG4 encoding, and delivery for others to watch.
Right. Essentially similar to the task that Slingbox does for a fraction of the price of the Sandy Bridge-E processor.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 am

...well so much for this being a communication. Streaming isn't the same encoding a video for a slingbox, it's not the same as simply encoding a video in the background while playing a game. I don't think if I keep saying that it's going to change anything though. :l

Just download OBS, setup a 1080p profile, hook it into BF3, and play a little bit and you'll get a general feel for why I'm recommending a half a thousand dollar processor. With either of the rigs in your signature you'll definitely feel the burn. Run fraps while it's happening for bonus points.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue May 07, 2013 4:08 am

You plug an HDMI or component video source into Slingbox. It encodes the 1080p video from there and streams it up to the internet. The heart of the device is a low-power TI DSP. The complete unit costs a fraction of the price difference between Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge-E. Why do we need an extra 900 million transistors in the CPU for that?

If it really is the case that you need to spend $570 or more on a CPU to handle the encoding and streaming (again: data, please), then perhaps you're going about the task very inefficiently. If an inexpensive standalone device doesn't provide as much customization as you'd like, there may still be more efficient solutions. If you're using a completely x86 encoding engine now, maybe you should switch to some codecs that can use Intel's Quick Sync Video on a Haswell processor.