Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

An all Corsair PC

Thu May 23, 2013 7:28 am

My cousin was visiting the other day and was giving my PC the once over. He asked me a question I really did not have a good specific answer for. He wanted to know why I did not go with all Corsair parts where possible. I told him I went with what was recommended by the members of this forum and TR systems guide. Then refined it down using reviews from all over the internet. I went for the best I could for the price involved.

I know its been done, a all Corsair PC. Have any of you built such a system and have you had any issues? Well, it can't be a all Corsair system since they do not offer HDD's, Motherboards, CPU's, GPU's, or CD/DVD/blu ray drives. But you get the idea. Other than Corsair the only other manufacturer I can think of you could do this with is Rosewill and I avoid them if I have any say in the mater.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: An all Corsair PC

Thu May 23, 2013 7:58 am

To my knowledge corsair doesn't manufacture a number of essential PC parts so it's not possible to begin with. That said, I have corsair RAM, case, and PSU and all have been rock solid for 2+ years, very happy with my purchases from them. I bought headphones from them that were less than stellar though. Never again, USB headphones are the devil. Verboten.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2013 9:14 am

No Corsair does not make the core parts of a PC but you can get all the support parts like the case, PSU, cooling(water and fans), memory, SSD, Keyboard, Mouse, headphones, etc.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 am

Corsair is an excellent name, but there are many other excellent brands out there as well, such as Seasonic, Crucial and Noctura (power supply, memory and heatsink) to name a few. Seems kinda silly to just go with all Corsair simply because.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Diplomacy42
Gerbil

Thu May 23, 2013 9:59 am

i wouldn't pay a premium for the corsair brand-name on things outside their core business(like SSDs).

its kindof like asking harley davidson to build you bar stools for the den. They do it, probably even do it well, but its gonna be expensive and there are places where it really doesn't matter.

that said, they make good cases, they make good ram, they make good liquid cooling loops, they make good almost anything, so if the stars aligned and corsair ended up being the cheapest ram pack, i would buy it.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 23, 2013 10:27 am

He asked me a question I really did not have a good specific answer for. He wanted to know why I did not go with all Corsair parts where possible.

Next time that happens, flip the question back: Why SHOULD I go with all-Corsair parts where possible, especially if some components are cheaper from other vendors and work equally well?

The answer will reveal whether there's a more specific chain of reasoning behind the suggestion, or if the person is just a blind brand loyalist.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2013 10:41 am

ludi wrote:
He asked me a question I really did not have a good specific answer for. He wanted to know why I did not go with all Corsair parts where possible.

Next time that happens, flip the question back: Why SHOULD I go with all-Corsair parts where possible, especially if some components are cheaper from other vendors and work equally well?

The answer will reveal whether there's a more specific chain of reasoning behind the suggestion, or if the person is just a blind brand loyalist.

Nah, he isn't a fanboy at all. Not much a computer geek really. That's more my line. I was explaining why I liked the Corsair 600T case so much and that prompted the question I think. I went with the most bang for the buck. Hence my Seasonic PSU, Samsung SSD's, Coolermaster CPU cooler, etc.

I was just curious if some one had taken brand loyalty to the limit and had built a PC with all the Corsair parts they could.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 23, 2013 11:23 am

Buy the best stuff - either the best performing, or the best value for your needs - regardless of who makes it.
Doing anything else is a waste of potential that Corsair absolutely will not reward you for in any way whatsoever.

Do I have anything against Corsair? No.
Do I use Corsair components? Frequently.
Would I use a Corsair product that was less suitable for my purposes than a competing product, just because it has the Corsair logo on it? Not unless Corsair paid me to do so, in which case I would gladly be their corporate whore.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 23, 2013 11:44 am

I'm slightly anal-retentive, so in my brain I sometimes think that components of the same brand will work better together.

For example, If I had a Toshiba television, then I would only buy a Toshiba VCR/DVD player to go with it. They work better together, right? ;) I do that a lot and usually needlessly, but there's still a part of me that believes this line of thinking. So my Corsair case has a Corsair PSU to match it, as well as a cpu cooler. Likewise, my MSI motherboard has a MSI gpu that matches up well. My system runs perfectly, but I had a problem similar to steelcity_ballin in that my Corsair headset has been terrible.
Last edited by RickyTick on Thu May 23, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Sometimes it is worth doing; My home-theater amp/decoder is a Samsung, like my TV - which means they share identical implementations of HDMI-CEC and talk to each other without compatibility issues. I had HDMI-CEC issues in the past because I tried to use a Sony amp with a Samsung TV and there are some listed issues which were just annoying to an end user.

For commodity items like cases, PSUs, RAM, Coolers and case fans, there is absolutely no reason to stick with one brand because there is no bespoke or proprietary interaction between them. In the case of peripherals, there is some synergy in that a single driver suite may handle multiple products, eg Microsoft's Keyboard & Mouse Center, or Logitech's Setpoint - but unlike other hardware, PC peripherals have to work with a much more standardised system (Windows) which means incompatibilities are all but nonexistant.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 23, 2013 12:44 pm

I've gone with Corsair (case/cooler/PSU) for all three of my current builds. Solid construction and great reliability. I have a number of Force GT SSDs but my most recent purchase was the M500 960GB. Memory wise Corsair is just one of a number of manufacturers I would choose from.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 23, 2013 1:07 pm

RickyTick wrote:
I'm slightly anal-retentive, so in my brain I sometimes think that components of the same brand will work better together.

For example, If I had a Toshiba television, then I would only buy a Toshiba VCR/DVD player to go with it. They work better together, right? ;) I do that a lot and usually needlessly, but there's still a part of me that believes this line of thinking. So my Corsair case has a Corsair PSU to match it, as well as a cpu cooler. Likewise, my MSI motherboard has a MSI gpu that matches up well. My system runs perfectly, but I had a problem similar to steelcity_ballin in that my Corsair headset has been terrible.

Thats silly, I doubt each respective division collaborates with one another. Fist off, Corsair for example dont even make the internals of their PSUs. They simply wrap it with their own shell, fan, stickers, etc and call it Corsair. (Not that a PSU and a Case have anything in common besides mounting holes/supports) Second, there are manufacturing standards for a reason, and it obviously isn't limited to computer hardware. That reason is so that products/components can be readily interchangeable.... 'nuf said.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri May 24, 2013 1:10 am

I read an article once on some tech website where they used as many Corsair parts as possible in a build for aesthetic reasons. They though having as many parts as possible from the same vendor would make the build look more polished and less DIY. I think this is the only real reason to use all Corsair parts.

I've looked around and can't find the article. Anyway else remember seeing this?

Proxicon
Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2013 1:23 am

Anyone who has the same brand of everything screams fanboy to me and it looks cheesy to boot. Whats wrong with Rosewill? I had many a good Rosewill products on the cheap.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 24, 2013 9:47 am

DPete27 wrote:
Thats silly

I know, I just can't help it. :wink: It's just a quirk.
Like I said, it's "usually needlessly".
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q