Help diagnosing problen

Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Help diagnosing problen

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:20 pm

I have a Asus p5k which I decided to sell to a friend with the ram and cpu
Both in sig
The problem now is that it has stopped working since I shifted the mobo and ram to his chassis.
I used his cpu which is an e8500 and his ram also along with mine his are ocz ram rated for 800mhz 1gb 2 sticks

His old mobo wasn't workingg right after a bad bios flash which made his cpu run at less than 2ghz and gpu operate at 1x pcie bandwidth that's all together another story I am not gonna discuss unless needed

Now it seems that the bios is causing problems so I cleared it and sure as well it posted but after a restart it would again not respond unless the bios was cleared again nothing seems to work other than that

I have tried various setting to no avail ya and his cpu after installing in my p5k gave the error of cpu not identified so I put my e8400 in which is detected right but then again the bios reset is required after every restart

Any idea what is causing the problem
Last edited by killadark on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD FX-8350|Sabetooth 990FX|8gb Kingston Hyper X|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X
TT ToughPower 850w,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
killadark
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Help diagnosing problen

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Could be the RAM. Did you try with just the original sticks (the ones that were in it when it was working)?

Also sounds like the BIOS is too old for the E8500.

If you can get it stable with just your CPU and RAM, then flash the BIOS to the latest version and re-install his CPU. I would not try to flash the BIOS if you can't get it stable, that's a recipe for bricking the board.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:43 pm

Yeah I have tried that going back to the same hardware that was previously working do sent seem to work now though
I have tried with and without his ram both give same bios reset problem it seems something got broken somewhere in the process of changing
AMD FX-8350|Sabetooth 990FX|8gb Kingston Hyper X|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X
TT ToughPower 850w,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
killadark
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:44 pm

Try replacing the CMOS battery.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:46 pm

just brew it! wrote:Try replacing the CMOS battery.

Hmm don't know if that will work but I'll look into it tomorrow the battery is like 6 years old now I guess it's about time
killadark
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:50 pm

I have lost count of the number of times things are fixed just by reseating connectors, slots, plugs etc with older hardware.

A good dusting with compressed air into the slots can help, too.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:16 am

well now pulling the battery out seems to get it to post not sure what that means
any idea :roll:
killadark
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:23 am

You're running it without ANY CMOS battery?
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:49 pm

DPete27 wrote:You're running it without ANY CMOS battery?

Yep is tht bad?
killadark
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:53 pm

killadark wrote:
DPete27 wrote:You're running it without ANY CMOS battery?

Yep is tht bad?

It's not bad for the board per se, but any BIOS settings you change will not be retained if power is removed.

This really sounds like some sort of BIOS funkiness.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Did you possibly leave the bios reset jumper in the "reset" position? I think I've done that troubleshooting a flaky system - lost track of which position the default was and that caused some strangeness. Maybe removing the battery interrupted the circuit (which I think is what the jumper is doing) that was causing it to hang. If that's not it, have you checked to make sure you don't have a stray motherboard standoff that might be grounding something on the back of the motherboard? You said you moved it over to his chassis, which might be easy miss in that case. It would be strange if the board BIOS recognized the E8400 but not the E8500 as they were launched at the same time, but it's also possible that his CPU was damaged in the BIOS flash fiasco he experienced. I would say check for the jumper, check for the standoffs, maybe even take the board, etc. out of his case and either run it open air or back in your case with your hardware - reset things back to a known good situation and then start with single step changes (i.e. get it working, the put it in the different chassis, make sure it works, then change out the CPU, make sure it works, add additional memory, etc.).

It's always fun to figure out what went wrong, especially with older hardware - hard to guess if something decided to break in the process (check the CPU pins if you swapped processors) or if it's just misconfigured.
i7-3770K | Asus P8Z77-V LK | 8GB DDR3-1600 | HD5850 | 128GB 840 Pro | Samsung F3 1TB | U2412M | Define R4 | Seasonic 520W M12II | Win7 Pro x64.
frumper15
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Well so I got a new battery and the problem still persist I even ungraded bios to the latest one and checked the wiring as well as turn it on outside the case all with the same result of no post
But when I remove the battery it seems to work and get past bios
And the bios is now showing weird temperature like 100c/212f
killadark
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Ah well now it seems that making changes in bios and saving it without the battery makes it not post :(
This is becoming an annoyance :cry:
killadark
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:41 pm

frumper15 wrote:Did you possibly leave the bios reset jumper in the "reset" position? I think I've done that troubleshooting a flaky system - lost track of which position the default was and that caused some strangeness. Maybe removing the battery interrupted the circuit (which I think is what the jumper is doing) that was causing it to hang. If that's not it, have you checked to make sure you don't have a stray motherboard standoff that might be grounding something on the back of the motherboard? You said you moved it over to his chassis, which might be easy miss in that case. It would be strange if the board BIOS recognized the E8400 but not the E8500 as they were launched at the same time, but it's also possible that his CPU was damaged in the BIOS flash fiasco he experienced. I would say check for the jumper, check for the standoffs, maybe even take the board, etc. out of his case and either run it open air or back in your case with your hardware - reset things back to a known good situation and then start with single step changes (i.e. get it working, the put it in the different chassis, make sure it works, then change out the CPU, make sure it works, add additional memory, etc.).

It's always fun to figure out what went wrong, especially with older hardware - hard to guess if something decided to break in the process (check the CPU pins if you swapped processors) or if it's just misconfigured.

I have done everything u have mentioned there even putting my old hardware in dint make it click so obviously something is broken not sure what I don't have windows on the hdd so can't make any kind of tests
killadark
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to System Builders Anonymous